Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering getting a little sister for my Cookie, I never thought I would be a 2 dogs kinda person, but here I am! ha ha :)

Cookie loves playing with my mom's dog, so I think it would be nice for her to have some company while I'm in work :)

The question I have is what is the age difference between your chihuahuas? (if you have more than 1 of course :))

We are going to buy a house next year or the year after so Cookie could potentially be 2 years old when she gets her brother or sister! (I'm hoping for next year tho!)

I'm also worried that she might not like to have another dog around her, like she wont be the 'only child' if that makes sense ha ha!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you can afford another dog, go for it. I have 3 chi's. Their ages are: Zarita 9+years, Emmie Lee 7+ years, and the 'baby' Bonnie at 3 years. I never thought about whether or not they'd like another chi, I just put the new baby in the pen and let them get to know each other---safely. Never had a problem. The baby would watch the others, and housetrained themselves!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Oh trust me, You'll love it.

Neeva is currently approaching 5 months and Pablo is coming up for 1 year. And they LOVE each other, its done well in my favour keeping them pretty young. They've really bonded and play all day. I totally regret not getting a second one sooner!! I'd love a 3rd but not until Neeva is fully trained, way too much work trying to train 2 dogs at once lol!

I say go for it, you wont regret it and cookie will thank you forever for a new companion!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Stella (Jackchi) and Rufus (full chi) are about the same age. We brought Ru home from the rescue in January, when Stella was about 2.5, and we were told Ru was about 2. We also have a 13 year old Lab/Irish setter, and a 9 year old choc lab.

The choice to bring another dog into your home is a big one, that should be well thought out. It will double your work, especially for the first few months. But it will also double the love. Make sure you have a plan in place in case the dogs don't get along - that is always a risk you run.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I always thought I'd be a zero dog person I now have four haha! It's crazy how much I went from not even being bothered about dogs to absolutely LOVING chis.
My millie is nine months and my other three are 14 weeks (Gucci) and 13 weeks (pixie and Darcy) it is a handful but I just love how all the pups entertain each other it does make it easier on me. Also I love how they copy off millie she teaches them and it's like they look up to and respect her like a mama figure.
I would highly suggest getting another, it was the best decision I ever made for millie :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always thought I'd be a zero dog person I now have four haha! It's crazy how much I went from not even being bothered about dogs to absolutely LOVING chis.
My millie is nine months and my other three are 14 weeks (Gucci) and 13 weeks (pixie and Darcy) it is a handful but I just love how all the pups entertain each other it does make it easier on me. Also I love how they copy off millie she teaches them and it's like they look up to and respect her like a mama figure.
I would highly suggest getting another, it was the best decision I ever made for millie :)
OMG four chihuahuas! How fun :) I mostly want another one so Cookie can have some company while me and my husband are in work, even tho she seems to be handling it quite well, I still feel a little sad to leave her on her own :(

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
OMG four chihuahuas! How fun :) I mostly want another one so Cookie can have some company while me and my husband are in work, even tho she seems to be handling it quite well, I still feel a little sad to leave her on her own :(

that's exactly how I felt about millie! although it wasn't because I was at work because im with her 24/7 I just felt she would really benefit from some doggie company and she certainly has shes like a different dog! never seen her more happy! whats your plans? any certain Chihuahua?

·
Registered
839 Posts
We have had two Chihuahuas for about 10 years (not always the same two, but two at once) and have just delved into the world of a third, 8 weeks ago. We added Finley to our family at 7 weeks old this summer. His half brother, Gizmo, was 1 3/4 years old when Fin came home, and Tinkerbell was 11 years old. She had been 9 when we brought Gizmo home as a puppy. Gizmo HATED Finley - for about 2 days. Now, I think he thinks getting him a brother was the greatest thing we could have ever done. They are INSEPARABLE. Tink has taken longer to warm up to Fin, though she was never upset about him so much - just rather indifferent towards him. Now they're a happy little trio :) I had my concerns about both adding a second male to the group, and adding a third dog in general, but it has worked out so amazingly well I'm already thinking ahead to the fourth!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I always say 2 is better than 1. I often find myself feeling sad for any dog who doesn't have a dog or cat companion. Seems so lonely:-(. This is the reason I got a second chi. It turned out to be the best thing I ever did. My first two chi's were very close in age, actually they're the same age just a few months apart. I have 4 chi's total. 1 approaching 2 yrs, 1 2.5 yrs, 1 just turned 5 and the other approaching 5. It took a while for my older 2 to accept my 3rd addition. But it did happen eventually. It was easier when I added a 4th. Just remember that it takes some dogs a bit longer to come around than others. And it is almost always the best choice. I think I've only heard of a few instances where adding another didn't work out. I'm sure you will do what is right for you.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have 3 dogs. My eldest is somewhere between 4.5 years and 8 years- it's hard to say with him. He is a chi. The middle child is two and a half, she's a heeler mix, and the youngest is a year and a half now and is a chorkie.

I didn't have issues with adding dogs- Alli, the middle dog, is very motherly and protective of her brother. It took a bit for her to accept this rude, tiny puppy hanging all over her, but all she did was correct the puppy and wait for me to intervene. I had to make sure Douglas didn't beat the life out of the two girls when they came in to the house- he can be a bully. He loved them right away but likes to try and push them around if given half a chance. He'll snap over spots on the sofa and what not if I don't keep a firm hand. He's very patient with puppy play though and plays constantly with Kaira.

The main thing was that Kaira is a puppy. She had no social skills at all and would just tackle any dog that got within range. That made Alli very unhappy, especially when Kaira tried to take her food and toys. Doug liked to play, but Kaira had to learn what it meant when he was resting and wanted to be left alone, or he had a toy or chew. Now everyone is awesome, they play well, Kaira is maturing into a lovely dog with a darling temperament (she is my service dog). Doug and Kaira go to doggy daycare regularly so Kaira gets to play hard with her friends there.

Make sure with age differences you're prepared to protect the mature dog from too many puppy antics. A two year difference is nothing as far as energy level goes generally, so they should have a blast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts