Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy is 6 months now and we have had a few moments of err lifting his leg in he house !! :shock: my vet says 8 months to neuter him ? 6 sounds better ?

( my little guy also does not have his *bits* dropped so the
vet said it'll be a little more difficult than a normal male neuter :roll: anyone had this done to thier male chi ? )

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have alway heard 6 months and I think most here have had it done at 6 months.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
At least 6 months for a girl also. They are so small most good vets prefer to wait as long as possible. In Fizzys case I suspect the vet is hoping they will drop. If you use pee pads you can put a coke bottle in the middle of the pad for him to lift his leg on.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info and advice , I really appricate it ... The coke bottle is a great idea :) he no longer uses pee pads , he always asks to go out , when he does lift his leg in the house it's not a real pee its a tiny drop ( marking territorry ( sorry if spelt wrong ) me thinks :roll: )

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Both my Guys were neutered at 6months. Both had the "CryptOrchid". Only one testicle had dropped. Apparently, this is extremely common in small breed dogs. They both did great...just a little sore for the first day. :D

They did charge more for the neuter, because of the "Cryptorchid"? :shock:

sandra

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
yep 6 months is recommended age at my job. and the cryptorchid (sp?) is a more invasive and detailed surgery so it most likely will cost more.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sjc said:

sandra
Not a problem re the money , just want him ok . I know it's a more difficult surgey :( ( I know my vet really well and she will look after him very well , he already loves her , BUT he may not after his opp :( )

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
sjc said:

sandra
Not a problem re the money , just want him ok . I know it's a more difficult surgey :( ( I know my vet really well and she will look after him very well , he already loves her , BUT he may not after his opp :( )

my experience is the dog's usually dont' like me or the vet techs too much. that is until they have their anals expressed then they aren't too thrilled with doc anymore :) (unless he puts me to do it which i HATE!)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Ozzy had one that had dropped and one that hadnt so he had to have a tiny cut in the lower part of his tummy where they got the one from inside it only had like 2 or 3 stitches in and was really tiny and he doesnt even have a scar now - I had this done at 6 months fizzysmom :wave:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ozzysmom said:
Ozzy had one that had dropped and one that hadnt so he had to have a tiny cut in the lower part of his tummy where they got the one from inside it only had like 2 or 3 stitches in and was really tiny and he doesnt even have a scar now - I had this done at 6 months fizzysmom :wave:
Clare , thanks so much for your story I really appricate it :)
I'm gonna be so nervous when he goes in for his opp :( but I
trust my vet so I'll try and stay as calm as I can :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, youngest dog I've had done was 8mths :shock: he was cryptorchid but op went ok.
The best thing to do is take your vets advice as it will be them performing the op. :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chilady said:
Hi, youngest dog I've had done was 8mths :shock: he was cryptorchid but op went ok.
The best thing to do is take your vets advice as it will be them performing the op. :)
big thanks to you too :):) I will take my vets advice for sure :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts