Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been litter training my puppy. She is just about 4 months old. She was doing really well - I would see her run to box to go poop but all of a sudden she is having accidents everywhere. She will poop right next to her box but not in it or she will go hide from me and poop there. Why does she do this when she knows where she should be going? We just moved to a new apt. which may be confusing but the box is still in a very visible place and she usually goes there to pee but hardly ever to poop. Anyone have a similar situation? I have heard this breed is hard to train but about what I age is pretty normal for them to be accident-free? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I hear a lot of stories like yours...where the pup seems to be doing great and then all of the sudden has accidents.

From my expereince...it took a long time to potty train my girls. Tequila caught on pretty quick...was trust-worthy by about 8 months. Ginger took longer...she was about a year.
Kylie still isnt potty trained and she is going to be 2yrs old in a couple days. My girls are not 100% trained...if I leave them out for a while they will eventually potty in the house...sometimes they run to the door to let me know...sometimes they dont.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The "hidden poop routine" is a popular one with everyone's pups, it seems. Cooper did that as well; I wish I knew why! Cooper seemed to want to learn how to potty "right" so he didn't have many accidents, other than his hidden poop. A few people on here have their pups litter trained, so they may be able to give suggestions.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
My boys, mainly Buster, still have the occasional 'accident' as well. I use pads for my boys, if Mr. Peepers pees on it first then Buster will always pee on the pad. If it is a new pad out, then Buster will sometimes go on my floor. :roll: It's linoleum (kitchen) but it can still be annoying.

I don't think their is an age for being housebroken since all dogs are different. :wink:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Your recent move may have something to do with it. Even though the pad is in an accessible place, being in new surroundings is still an adjustment for them.

However, sometimes they will seem to forget the training for no apparent reason-at least it's not apparent to us. Jazzy was trained to the pads very early and very quickly. Then when I started taking her outside, she was quick to learn to potty outside as well and I started bragging to everyone about how easy she was to train. Well, guess what? For some reason-I have no idea why-she started peeing on the bathroom rug. Not all the time, but almost every day. I finally resorted to just hanging the rug over the shower bar. After a couple of weeks, I started leaving it down again, and she has never peed on it again, and she hasn't had an accident in the house in months.

I don't think this is unusual behavior - annoying, yes. :lol: Just keep working with her and be patient. You are not alone - this has happened to a lot of us. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
They also tend to forget their training when they start teething.
Just be persistant, don't let her get away with it, and in a few months she'll be back to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts