Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i took my 5 month old chihuahua coco to a friends house yesterday but she has two little sisters who are 5 and 7.at first coco was exellent with them and was happy to be stroked and was very quiet but after he got used to his surroundings he got very aggresive,her little sisters where being very gentle with him and not provoking him at all but coco just turned and started snarling,growling and barking very loudly and trying to run off my lap so i had to hold them back,i was shocked by his behaviour.i kept on saying no sternly but he wouldnt listen and in the end i had to lock him in his basket until he had calmed down.coco is usually quite good with strangers but sometimes gets a little barky around males and strangers but i had never seen him like that before.
does anyone else have any experience with this?
i really want him to be able to adapt to new people.
thank you for taking the time to read this!
xxx

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well I know Gizmo is never aggressive until I took him to that one vet, he was sooo mad, but that was because she hurt him...after we left, the rest of the day he didn't anyone touching him. After his nap though he was fine...so maybe he was tired? I really can't say much on the subject because my little guy is very mellow, he will leave me to go with a stranger...LOL...

Keep bringing him around people...but don't overwhelm him, two little girls might have been too much for him? Next time maybe just have one at a time come to him and let him smell their hands first. I know Gizmo doesn't like to be petted on the head...he'll rotate his head and lick you lol....

Even I get overwhelmed with more than one kid...lol....(i have 6 nieces and nephews...whew!!) :D

Always keep him by your side and slowly start to let him go...see if that works...my poodle is very shy and I have to treat him like that...he has never bitten a kid before but he prefers them one on one...Gizmo just tries to leap into everybody's arms..."Love me"!!! LOL...

Good Luck! :wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Porsha's sisters came to visit last week and she was just a little bully :angel9: its weird to cause she was the shy and quite one and not anymore. she was not mean she just keep't showing her dominance by placing her front legs on the backs of her sisters and trying to push them down. Shes ok with people so far However i personally don't want my chi to adapted to strangers that way she will protect better and if she ever got out of the fence she wont just take off with anyone.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand what you mean porshas-mama about going off with strangers but i want him to be sociable and at the moment hes not being that!it seems like most peoples chis are good with children such as little gadget!
i know toybreeds arnt the best for getting on with kids but i think alot of chis do and i want coco to.
any tips from anyone who had this problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
porshas_momma said:
Shes ok with people so far However i personally don't want my chi to adapted to strangers that way she will protect better and if she ever got out of the fence she wont just take off with anyone.
I do get scared about my girls taking off with strangers...Chiquitita always follows strangers b/c she is super friendly...at least she used to be....I even thought she was mute...but the last time I took her to the park, she barked to a 2 y/o baby and a girl with a biker's helmet. I was very surprised, since then she's started barking at people outside the door. Lolita is very friendly to people if i am not holding her, she also likes to play with strangers and follow them. So I really don't know if it's that good to be so friendly for a chi. I mean, don't take me wrong...I don't want them barking at people or nipping at them, but I'd just like them not to follow them and let them hold them like if they r best friends all the time. :roll:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have been trying very hard to socialize Jasmine also. Fortunately, she seems to be super friendly and just loves kids and all people. Last week when I took her to a soccer game at the YMCA, there was a small toddler sitting beside us. Her mom and I both supervised carefully, but Jasmine was just great with her. She even pulled on Jasmine's ears a couple of times and Jasmine just backed away for a few seconds and then went back for more! No growling or aggressive behaviour at all.

I would try gradually introducing him to children, maybe one child at a time for short periods and carefully supervised. Reward good behaviour, with maybe a time out for any aggresive behaviour. Just keep trying - maybe he was just tired that day, or maybe just not in the mood for children at that particular time. LOL - we all have our "off" days. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Peanut has the same problem.. He will either never stop barking at the person or bark and then try to "hump" the person. I never let Peanut actually do it when he starts but he does try to do it.

I have found that if Peanut first sees a person outside of my house and then the person come in the house, he is much nicer to them than when he first sees them from inside my house.. Does this make sense? I think I dont know how to explain it :lol: Well if you do understand, this also works with dogs (occasionally)

I wish I could help in some way. I guess the best thing really is to socialize Coco now since he is still young

Yael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts