Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took both my dogs to the dog park for the first time today.We walked there, with all 4 of my kids and the 2 dogs. That went better than I expected. She walked well on the leash, stayed to my side with no problems and we even got the boxer to behave well on the leash with my 12yo. So I was feeling really positive.

Then we got to the dog park! The boxer was awesome. She went into the big dog side, just thrilled to be there. So friendly and sniffing butts, marking everything, jumping on this half wall (she has a torn acl, she shouldn't be able to do that!) and just being awesome. The chi hated the small dog part. I was in the big dog area in case there was a skirmish. I didn't want my kids to have to pull big dogs apart. First there were no other small dogs. Juliet climbed the fence to get to me! So I just carried her in the big dog area for awhile.

Then a pug mix came in. 6 months old so the same age. She was nasty! He did the play stance to her and she growled, baring teeth in a big snarl, and snapped at him. I didn't know what to do! I didn't want to reward her by picking her up but I didn't want her to pick a fight with the other dog either. So I picked her up but held her away and told her no every time she growled. Then I ended up holding her the whole time because they were trying to socialize their puppy and I didn't want it to be negative for him.

What should I have done? Where do I go from here? She gets along with my dog pretty well. She gets too big for her britches sometimes and I just tell her no and put her on the floor. But I know my other dog can take it. And I know the boxer will back off if I tell her to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problems as you, my bitch chihuahua of 2yo is soo nasty to other dogs :( if she meets dog on her walks she freezes as such or wants to run away, but if a dog is brought into our home, then she just wants to rip their heads off :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Okay.. a few things .. was this her first time at the dog park? How much time does she spend away from the boxer? This may have made her more nervous being alone there in a new place if she is pretty reliant on the boxer for security.

I would suggest taking them separate for awhile so you can focus on each ones needs and be sure they are managing well.

If you can let her explore the area with no other dogs in it that might help her get used to it. I would also have plenty of treats and just anytime she looks at another dog give her a treat. The idea is to change her emotional response to the other dogs. You want to help her see that the other dogs are a good thing for her and part of that can be treats. That way she has a positive experience to associate with new dogs even if she does not directly interact with the dogs at all.

I would also suggest keeping her on her leash while there at first so you have good control over her as well. Keep in mind that it is common for chis to only like other chis so she may never be a 'dog park' dog and that is ok too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking it's going to have to be one at a time, especially since the boxer loved it and she didn't seem to. She does go out without the boxer but never outside. She won't hang out in the backyard without her. I didn't think about her wanting the boxer for security. No way would I put her down in the big dog park!

The chi gets to go in the car for outings to pick up the kids and such. I don't do that with the boxer so maybe the dog park can be her special thing. I do need the chi to be somewhat friendly with other dogs because we need to take her on vacation with us. My parents have dogs (not in house though) and my MIL has my BIL living with her, he has chis though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts