Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new baby puppy Chi. (male) I also have a cat, which is also male, 7 yrs old. My cat is very good-mannered, and loveable. They seem to like each other, and love to play.

It seems like are constantly at each other though. The puppy was raised around other much bigger dogs, even 100+ pound dogs at the puppy store that I bought him from. Therefore, the puppy is not afraid of anything. Even the cat, which is 18 or so pounds doesn't scare him. The puppy is full of energy-And constantly runs around, always in play-mode, and tends to nip while playing in the meantime-not hard, but enough to get annoying, especially to the poor cat. When we remove the cat, he is soon to jump back in the "wrestling ring" as we call it, for round 2.

So, I am not sure what to do. Well, they have to get used to each other. So we allow them to be in the same room together if we are there, but it is seems like we are constantly trying to separate them. The dog while playing with him, is nipping at him, and eventually when the cat has enough, he goes after him, and afraid for his safetly-Even though he is so very quick.

Any ideas on getting pets to adapt to each other? Is it a male-male thing? Or does it just take time to grow out of? I just want them to like each other, and not have to constantly separate them every 30 secs. lol!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
look at the situation from the animals point of view and see if one or both are actually upset by the encounters or if they're actually playing. When I was living with my old roomate she had a cat and i was frightened to death when the cat would pounce on callie and bite her. But I soon realized that the cat was just putting his mouth over callie, not biting down and that callie would run at the cat, and then roll over and wait for her to pounce. it was a big game and they both loved it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts