Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with Peanuts' aggressive behavior. A little back ground. We got Peanut on March 18th of this year. He had been wandering the neighborhood for a couple of days and got injured in the process. The neighbors had been trying to catch him and he wouldn't go to anyone but me. We were not in the market for another dog. We already had a 10yo chow Bear and a 2yo Pitbull Honey and 3 cats. I brought him in and he got along fine from the getgo with all other furkids in the house. We took him to the vet and had him scanned for a chip, nadda. They xrayed him and he had a fractured wrist. The vet put a cast on him and we brought him home. I checked lost and found, posted on craigs list and put up found posters in the neighborhood. Nothing. I tried to give him to a friend but he bit her so she gave him back. The vet says he is (at that time ) about 8 months old. So now the cast is off for 2 weeks and physically he is doing fine but he has always had some aggression issues. Today he seemed to really be guarding the chow and any time we would get near he would warn us off. I was trying to leave the house and the chow was sleeping at the front door and Peanut was laying next to him. When I stepped over him to leave ( we always have door issues, trying to keep him from getting out and him snipping at your feet) Peanut bit into my foot. I had on sandels. There is probably 4-5 broken skin places on my foot , I put my hand down to get him off my foot and he bit into my hand and there are about 7-8 broken skin spots on my hand.

Now, if this were my pit bull acting like this she would be put to sleep. I don't want to put this dog down, I know they are known for their attitudes but I cannot have a dog that will bite me like this. I already didn't trust him to not bite on walks when Honey meets and greets everyone she sees on our walks I have to hold him back because he goes ballistic. Just looking for some help. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
....I don't want to put this dog down, I know
they are known for their attitudes but I cannot have a dog that will bite me
like this.....
Please, before you consider euthanasia, consult a trainer to resolve the issues :(
Bad temperament is a stereotype about Chi's--NOT a fact...

I know many people, who know more than me on this subject, will probably have a lot of
advice. I will just say--an 8 month old dog is in an adolescent stage. They can really
test you! Here is an excellent website that you may find helpful. Check out
the Nothing In Life Is Free page. It could turn this situation around in a hurry:
http://www.k9deb.com/NILIF.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Euthanasia would be an absolute last resort. I implement nilif in my house already. I did alot of research when I got my pit bull to insure responsible ownership and she is an absolute love. He doesn't take direction well and just teaching him to sit has been impossible, he just doesn't GET it. I will gently push his bottom to a sit and then immediately reward but he will never sit on his own. We have been working on this for weeks:foxes15: I know he can hear because he will come from anywhere in the house if I call him, It's just after I have his attention that's all. I'm not giving up, just looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh sorry youre having to go through this.. Firstly its very good of you to take him in and give him a home.

Not sure how to stop it from hurting if he bits your foot but if he goes for your hand make a fist.. they can't really break your skin as easily.. I love Cesar Millan some hate him but i think the bloke is pure genius.. Anyway i've seen a couple of his shows with aggressive Chi's doing the same and he literally made a fist and pushed back so he was dominating hte dog.. eventually the growling stopped so did the biting.. there was other things..

The episode im thinking of the dog was called Versachi.. you maybe able to find it online but that was really good.

He will get there eventually some take longer than the others

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think you've posted before about behavior issues with this pup. If so, I know you've been working with him for some time. Just a suggestion, not that I think it will be a popular one,....do you have a local Chi rescue group? If so, you could contact them and see if they will take him on. This is not normal Chi behavior and needs correcting. If it mostly revolves around the other dogs, then he needs to be in a home with no other dogs that he feels the need to guard. This poor dog is on constant alert with no decompress time, which is making his aggression worse because he's always on edge. If he was in a single dog foster home with someone who can train him, he might be able to be rehabilitated. He may only ever be able to live in a single dog home, but atleast he would be in a better situation for him.

You've got a huge liability on your hands and I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you do this already, but please make sure that you crate him when you have company over. It's bad enough that he's biting you. It could be tragic for everyone if he bites someone from outside the household...and with this dog, it's just a matter of time before that happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts