Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have two chis who would like to literally tear each other apart. They can no longer be in the same room together. The sad part is that they are mother and daughter :(. I think the problem started because Chloe (the mom) got eclampsia with her litter, and Ginger (the daughter) took half of the litter to help feed them (she was able to produce milk without being pregnant). Is there any reconciling this situation? If they accidentally come into contact with each other there is a split second before they will both lunge at each other, snapping for each other's necks! :( Help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh how horrible. I dont have any personal experience with this. Maybe have a playpen for one and the other out - so they can see each other to try and get used to each other? Having them both on a leash (have someone else with you to hold one) and do training together with treats. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Fantasia.

No, they are not spayed. They are 10 and 8 years old, and I had a bad experience with spaying before, we don't have male dogs and they are inside dogs so I really cannot deal with the risk, and putting them through the pain of recovery :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have heard that mama dogs will try to kill the daughters, if they are 'intact'. The playpen method might be an excellent way to safely have them in the same room. You could switch 'days' so that each dog has a time out of the pen. Also leash both of them when outside time/potting come. Make sure these two are not able to fight each other. No growling, snarling etc allowed.

Since the problem came on with a pregnancy, then I think both dogs should be spayed. 8 & 10 is not that old to be spayed. The 'pain' they go through is not severe, and they are usually give pain pills for several days. Give this a really good think!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Two intact bitches who have both had litters can be a difficult combination. Spaying them might help, or it may have just become ingrained behaviour by now. How long have they been aggressive towards each other, and how do you normally deal with it? Is one dog generally the instigator? This isn't going to be an easy problem to solve, it may be that they will need permanently keeping apart or one to be rehomed. Are there any other dogs besides Chloe and Ginger?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has been going on for a few years now, we've just had to keep them separated and switch them around so they both get attention. Unfortunately, you may be right about the "ingrained" behavior. I'm not sure that Cesar Milan could help them (although I'd love to see him try). I think that Chloe is more the instigator, but Ginger is just as ready to attack. We have other dogs, but they don't really get involved. I keep trying to get my sister to take Ginger because it was her dog in the first place, but she's not been very willing to help!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If it is a dominance thing, you can try elevating the status of one. So allow the more dominant to sit on furniture, the less dominant stays on the floor. The more dominant gets fed first etc.
I would also work on their general obedience, so you have more control over them, and they are generally respectful. They need to understand that you do not accept their aggressive behaviour.
How do they get along with the other dogs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts