Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kerri is a year old already! (WHAT!!!!!) And we are getting deep into "adult" agility with her. We have only taken a few classes and she is really having a good time. I am seeing the signs of a budding agility star in her. We took these two videos at class- it is the first time she sequenced ANYTHING like this so I think she did pretty good. The important thing is she loves it and certainly has the energy for it!

Kerrigan's Run at Intro Agility Class Run 1 - YouTube

Kerri's 2nd run - YouTube

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is beyond cute and awesome!!! I love how she gets all happy and jumps in the air. Love it!!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
That cutie put a smile on my face, I loved watching her. She loves you so much,
always looking up at you, willing to please. What a good girl. :) Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww thanks guys! She really, really loves agility. There is a part in the first video where she is jumping up in the air like 3 feet with joy. It is funny to watch how different she is than the border collies. They are also eager to please and LOVE agility but they are almost serious about it- and very focused on their people. Kerri is more jubilant about the whole thing but is just as focused on me as they are. It is funny how dogs meant for totally different things can be good at the same thing but in totally different ways. Kerri's height class will be mostly pappions I think so it will be fun to see how they run too.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
That was so cool to watch!! Thank you for posting. Is that you leading her or someone else? Also, how did you find a place like that? That is just so neat!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was so cool to watch!! Thank you for posting. Is that you leading her or someone else? Also, how did you find a place like that? That is just so neat!
It is my fat but handling her! (I have gained 40lbs really fast recently- I almost can't handle watching videos of me except that I know it is coming off!)

And there are lots of training places that do agility. I have heard that it is hard some places to find indoor agility runs but here it is so hot for most of the year that they just HAVE to be inside. My other dog does agility and some rally obedience and we just found this place that did both by calling around and trying out different training places. Kerri took puppy class here too.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh, girl, you just looked like a professional, so I didn't know if that was you or you pay someone to work with her. Also, I don't think we have anything like that where I live, but I would like to check into it. I doubt Lulu would do well, but I would love to try.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, girl, you just looked like a professional, so I didn't know if that was you or you pay someone to work with her. Also, I don't think we have anything like that where I live, but I would like to check into it. I doubt Lulu would do well, but I would love to try.
The best part of agility is that any dog can have a good time- even if they are really bad at it and never compete! There was a basset hound in my last intro class and he had a great time. It took him forever to do the course, cause he was sniffing everything, and he would veer off course a lot- but it was a real bonding experience with his owner. People also underestimate how great agility can be for building a dogs confidence. The trick is you have to just be in it to have fun- some people take it really really seriously and are all like -win, win, win. You have to find a trainer that is like fun, fun, fun! In my experience those trainers actually have better performing dogs too :)

As far as not in your area- I see you are in Alabama. There are like 30 shows all over your state just the rest of the year just with the AKC- not counting the other organizations that trial, so finding a trainer should be easy. Go to this link- American Kennel Club - Event and Awards Search And click on the event search tab. Then select "Agility trial" in the drop down menu. Then click on alabama and hit the search button at the bottom. I bet if you called around to some clubs hosting events in your area you could find a training facility easily.

I am glad I look like a pro too- lol- I have only been at it for a year and a half with two dogs- and I am so bad. Agility is really a workout for handlers too and that is part of the fun, although it can be frustrating in the beginning when you are trying to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
The best part of agility is that any dog can have a good time- even if they are really bad at it and never compete! There was a basset hound in my last intro class and he had a great time. It took him forever to do the course, cause he was sniffing everything, and he would veer off course a lot- but it was a real bonding experience with his owner. People also underestimate how great agility can be for building a dogs confidence. The trick is you have to just be in it to have fun- some people take it really really seriously and are all like -win, win, win. You have to find a trainer that is like fun, fun, fun! In my experience those trainers actually have better performing dogs too :)

As far as not in your area- I see you are in Alabama. There are like 30 shows all over your state just the rest of the year just with the AKC- not counting the other organizations that trial, so finding a trainer should be easy. Go to this link- American Kennel Club - Event and Awards Search And click on the event search tab. Then select "Agility trial" in the drop down menu. Then click on alabama and hit the search button at the bottom. I bet if you called around to some clubs hosting events in your area you could find a training facility easily.

I am glad I look like a pro too- lol- I have only been at it for a year and a half with two dogs- and I am so bad. Agility is really a workout for handlers too and that is part of the fun, although it can be frustrating in the beginning when you are trying to get the hang of it.
Thank you for the info in my area. I will definitely look into it. I'm sure I'll do better than I think if the one who are having fun seem to do better than those who are more competitive because I don't have a competitive bone in my very lazy body. lol
You certainly looked like a pro! Great job!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts