Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I wonder can anyone help me understand/deal with my chi, she has 3 pups 11 days old and has become vicious since they arrived to the point she has bitten me at least twice a day. I have her in a secluded room with heatmat, vetbed, and whelping box, I have stopped feeding her in her room and she now comes to me (down the hall) when I will feed her. Once she is away from her pups shes back to her normal sweet self. She has started to attack anyone near her door and will lunge at me. I've tried being nice but I'm at a loss to deal with her, I need to be able to socialize the pups? Would it be better if I brought her down to our living room where she was before they arrived?
Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It is not unusual for a mum to become very protective of her new puppies even the sweetest natured girl. But by 11 days she should be more comfortable with you touching them. I personally would persevere with touching the pups so that she sees that you are not going to hurt them or take them away. The pups need to be handled by you every day whether she likes it or not. Do not let her intimidate you as you are the pack leader and are allowed to handle her babies. Hopefully she will become more trusting of you the more you handle them. Good luck and don't give in to her remember who is boss.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
This is definitely normal for a new mom HOWEVER I agree & you'll have to get it turned around. A lot of handling with Chi pups is crutial in their socialization. When Mari had her pups we were constantly touching/holding them from the second they were born. I didn't give Mari much time to really take claim of them over me & my girls (who were to help with the pups). She was more apt to chase the other Chi's away & people outside of our family...which went back to normal after they were wearned. But you handling them is really important so you'll have to grab some gloves & not let up until she is calm in the situation each time. I'd go in often & hopefully she'll loosen up shortly...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and thanks for the replies, today I decided I was taking no more crap from her and moved her into our livingroom . Well so far so go (sort of) shes not being as aggressive although she still growls. At least I can touch the pups when shes out begging for food when we're eating or cooking in the kitchen. The pups have their eyes open now yeeeay! Would anyone know what to be feeding her as shes gotten soo fussy I had been feeding her puppy food but since the pups arrived she refuses to eat any good food but will eat toast cheese beans, even carrots but has turned her little nose up to fish. Any ideas would be very welcome.
Dolores

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It is not unusual for them to go off their food BUT they have to eat to produce milk for their pups so ideally a normal diet plus puppy food but if she is off her food which some of mine have done it comes down to anything you can get her to eat plus the proper diet and she will probably pick out her prefered bits to start with but eventually she will go back to eating her usual food plus puppy food trust me she will....... but if you have to spoil her a bit with extra tasty stuff for a while that's ok because she must eat x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice. I thought she was turning into a proper diva on me :)
I had to sort her out so I moved her down where she used to be and where we're with her 95% of the time. The difference is amazing! No more lunging after people No more 'I'm going to kill you' growls and to my total astonishment she just decided her normal food was edible, My hubbly figures she can't own this area and knows it. I am thinking she just wasn't feeling secure away from us. It makes me feel good to think she actually likes us :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So glad things have settled down and yes they do have some diva like tendancies when they have new borns but then they deserve it don't they because they did good..... lol x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

Well everyone I moved my new family to our living area and its the best thing I ever done for both her and us! As soon as I moved her out of the room she was in, her whole attitude changed back to her sweet self. What amazed me was she went straight to her dry food and started eating it (she had to be hand fed while away from us)
She has relaxed so much since, no growling or eating anyone and she lets us touch her babies :) I am soo thrilled and can only figure she didn't like being away from the normal area she was used to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts