Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old Chi will not stop barking at people, dogs, babies and kids!
He is perfect at home but when we walk him or take him on car rides he just wont stop when he sees anything that moves!
I try doing the ceasar technique, laying on his side, and i even have bark off!
But NOPE .. nothing!!

He does have poor socialization skills, which is my fault. But he will be going to obedience school for 6 weeks soon. Will that help?
Any other techniques or solution???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does your dog bark on command? I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've heard from obedience instructors that the best way to get a dog to stop barking is to teach them TO bark. This helps them learn the appropriate time to bark.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That's annoying...I know firsthand. I had two barkers on the end of my leashes!

Have you tried anything at all?

I controlled it initially (when I'd had enough several months ago) by putting pennies in a pop can, and covering it with duct tape. Everytime I took them out on their leash I took it with me. If they started barking I said (in a stern firm tone) "No bark" and shook the can. It startled them and they stopped. I kept the can on the coffee table inside, to keep them from barking their heads off at the window.

After awhile, they lost their fear of the rattle can, so I got one of those dog correctors (just sprays a blast of air), and that worked. I always enforced this with a firm "No bark".

Eventually, it got to the point to where all I had to do was say "no bark" in a low voice - I can even whisper it. BUT...I have to catch them before they start, which means I have to be very aware of everything going on around us at all times, and anticipate their reactions. I do this anyway since Pedro is a fear biter, and I have to make sure no one sneaks up on us, so it hasn't been a real problem for me to work with them this way.

Good luck! It can be done...Pedro is 4, too, and we just got this under control a few months ago!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's annoying...I know firsthand. I had two barkers on the end of my leashes!

Have you tried anything at all?

I controlled it initially (when I'd had enough several months ago) by putting pennies in a pop can, and covering it with duct tape. Everytime I took them out on their leash I took it with me. If they started barking I said (in a stern firm tone) "No bark" and shook the can. It startled them and they stopped. I kept the can on the coffee table inside, to keep them from barking their heads off at the window.

After awhile, they lost their fear of the rattle can, so I got one of those dog correctors (just sprays a blast of air), and that worked. I always enforced this with a firm "No bark".

Eventually, it got to the point to where all I had to do was say "no bark" in a low voice - I can even whisper it. BUT...I have to catch them before they start, which means I have to be very aware of everything going on around us at all times, and anticipate their reactions. I do this anyway since Pedro is a fear biter, and I have to make sure no one sneaks up on us, so it hasn't been a real problem for me to work with them this way.

Good luck! It can be done...Pedro is 4, too, and we just got this under control a few months ago!

Thank you!! i'll be trying that asap :)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
We are working on this very same problem with our crew. Ernie is my instigator, with Briscoe in a close tie for first. I know I have to get it under control at home and teach him the no bark command first. I have been doing that, by removing him from the room where all the fun is, while telling him no bark. I have even held his mouth shut while removing him and telling him no bark. Not roughly, or in a way to hurt, but sternly, yes. So far he is picking up on it well, we are expanding his horizons to the back porch where he sees a lot more activity, (people and dogs and kitty) than he does in the house. He will begin to bark and look at me, he knows "the look" and refrains. :) Now if I got really serious about, I know in my heart he'd be broke pretty quickly. But even at that, he's doing pretty well.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Hahahah, I have been going through this for 3 years!! I have been on here numerous times with my barking issues.
WE too tried everything. We tried the pennies in the can, worked only for a couple of days. We tried getting their attention with a treat before they see the person coming, did not work. We tried the Cesar Millan way, we tried the "Corrector" which is a small device that you click on when they start to bark and only dogs can hear the noise, nothing. We tried Victoria Stillwell's tip when you immediately turn them in the other direction.

Frankie IS a barker, period. Ben will bark for a couple seconds but only AT Frankie who is barking. :foxes15:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts