Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
omg my chi is doing it again!
it seems like some kind of attack, like something wrong with his breathing. someone told me it was reverse sneezing and i really wish it would stop!! ugh idk what to do! i realli wanna take him to the vet soon!
ijust gave him a bath about an hour ago and he always does this wierd breathing thing right after he done with his bath :(

can someone please explain to me what might be happening to him? and what it is called? why wont he try to drink any water when it stops for a moment???? :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is it like sneezing over and over? I've had dogs get sneeze attacks all the sudden... maybe he got water up his nose in the bath? I don't really know what it could be besides that. I hope there isn't anything wrong with him.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it like sneezing over and over? I've had dogs get sneeze attacks all the sudden... maybe he got water up his nose in the bath? I don't really know what it could be besides that. I hope there isn't anything wrong with him.

i dont think so, he barely sneezes ever! and no i made sure water didnt go up his nose, i cup my hand and fill it with water to wipe away sopa from his face.
:( i hope not either.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Can you video it??

Reverse sneezing is normal if you covertheit nostrils it helps are you sure it's reverse sneezing?

If you're really worried you should take him to the vet.

Both mine reverse sneeze it's loud and scary if you don't know what it is

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quigley does this all the time. It is frighteneing at first. I usually gently rub his throat when he is having an episode. And speak gently to him. You can research it on the internet. I found this information in just a few seconds.

Hope it helps.

The most likely causes of the symptoms you are seeing are paroxysmal respiration, collapsing trachea and upper airway obstructions. Paroxysmal respiration is often described as a "reverse sneeze" because it really does look as if a dog is trying to inhale a sneeze when this occurs. If there is a known underlying cause of these attacks I am not aware of it. Collapsing trachea is common in small breeds but normally produces a honking cough. It is probably not the problem but has to be included in the list of "suspects". Upper airway obstructions can occur at the nostrils, nasal passages or the soft palate. These are also pretty common in the small and short nosed breeds.

The best approach to this problem would be to videotape a couple of instances of the problem and take the videotape to your vet. It is hard to get problems like this to occur in the veterinarian's office so a videotape is good insurance that your vet will at least get to see what is happening. Treatment may not be necessary but your vet will also be able to help decide that after seeing what is going on.

Mike Richards, DVM

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you video it??

Reverse sneezing is normal if you covertheit nostrils it helps are you sure it's reverse sneezing?

If you're really worried you should take him to the vet.

Both mine reverse sneeze it's loud and scary if you don't know what it is

sure, i will video it next time he does it.
and i have no idea what reverse sneezing looks like.
but when randy has this attack it kinda looks like a heart attck except he is breathing from the corners of his mouth. :(

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
sure, i will video it next time he does it.
and i have no idea what reverse sneezing looks like.
but when randy has this attack it kinda looks like a heart attck except he is breathing from the corners of his mouth. :(
You can actully search it on YouTube. There are several videos on there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quigley does this all the time. It is frighteneing at first. I usually gently rub his throat when he is having an episode. And speak gently to him. You can research it on the internet. I found this information in just a few seconds.

Hope it helps.

The most likely causes of the symptoms you are seeing are paroxysmal respiration, collapsing trachea and upper airway obstructions. Paroxysmal respiration is often described as a "reverse sneeze" because it really does look as if a dog is trying to inhale a sneeze when this occurs. If there is a known underlying cause of these attacks I am not aware of it. Collapsing trachea is common in small breeds but normally produces a honking cough. It is probably not the problem but has to be included in the list of "suspects". Upper airway obstructions can occur at the nostrils, nasal passages or the soft palate. These are also pretty common in the small and short nosed breeds.

The best approach to this problem would be to videotape a couple of instances of the problem and take the videotape to your vet. It is hard to get problems like this to occur in the veterinarian's office so a videotape is good insurance that your vet will at least get to see what is happening. Treatment may not be necessary but your vet will also be able to help decide that after seeing what is going on.

Mike Richards, DVM

yes i usually do speak to him easy, but when i get close and try to rub his back he walks away as if nothing is happening.

and it usually happens after baths. ooo.... maybe its when im drying him off with the towel :( ill be more careful of that.

and i will always have my phone on me so i can video him the moment it happens.
it usually happens from 10 seconds to 50 seconds. and yes it is loud and frightening.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG yes! it is reverse sneezing!!!!
ijust saw it on youtube!
awwww my poor randy :(
any ideas on how to stop it when it happens?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Some block the nostrils, I rub the throat. It's not harmful at all. I have a few that do it a lot. Even my pekingese does it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Both of mine does it! 1st time i heard Lola doing it i thought she was choking!
It is scary, i remember Penny done it once in the middle of the night... i flew out the bed to help her and she stopped!!
Mine normally do it when they have drank alot of water, although thinking about it they havent done it for a while x

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both of mine does it! 1st time i heard Lola doing it i thought she was choking!
It is scary, i remember Penny done it once in the middle of the night... i flew out the bed to help her and she stopped!!
Mine normally do it when they have drank alot of water, although thinking about it they havent done it for a while x
oh, okay.
did they grow out of it?
is it possible for dogs to grow out of it, or is it something that just happens anytime?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some block the nostrils, I rub the throat. It's not harmful at all. I have a few that do it a lot. Even my pekingese does it.

but my randy wont let me near him when reverse sneezing happens. its like he's stubborn and wants to get through it himself, which he always does. but okay thank you. and im guessing all small dogs do that then?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If he doesn't want to be touched during it, then just let him get through it himself. I believe once or twice my pit bull did it, too. They don't grow out of it, my Tico, about 11 to 13 years old, still does it every night when I put him in my bed. With Gonzo, there seems to be no trigger, he just gets it whenever.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he doesn't want to be touched during it, then just let him get through it himself. I believe once or twice my pit bull did it, too. They don't grow out of it, my Tico, about 11 to 13 years old, still does it every night when I put him in my bed. With Gonzo, there seems to be no trigger, he just gets it whenever.

yeah, okay.
And awww poor tico. :(

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rocky reverse sneezes a lot its like a kinda loud honking noise I cover over his nostils and it soon stops.
He gets quite distressed by it so I rub his throat and speak to him quietly, once it stops he is happy tail wagging licking me as if 'aww thanks mum' lol!

yes it is loud, and i guess it does sound like a honking horn.
and awwww okay, thanks :)
cute siggy btw.

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
yes, chico occasionally reverse sneezes... when i first come home he will sneeze abit, but not much.... i did use dry carpet powder one time and then vaccumed the carpet... i noticed chico reverse sneezing alot more than usual so i think the powder was irritating him some.... but he mostly does it he gets excited...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes, chico occasionally reverse sneezes... when i first come home he will sneeze abit, but not much.... i did use dry carpet powder one time and then vaccumed the carpet... i noticed chico reverse sneezing alot more than usual so i think the powder was irritating him some.... but he mostly does it he gets excited...

ooooo, okay. and yea i guess i'd expect it after using podwer on the carpet.thats true!

CUTE pup btw, i <3 yur siggy too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts