Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this article on CNN and well yeah it is not a Chi but still a small dog. To me this is just an accident waiting to happen. Are people really that stupid? :confused: Am I wrong here?

Pampered pup's 'air swimming' video causes outrage - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Email
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on facebookShare on twitterPrint

Text Size
Pampered pup's 'air swimming' video causes outrage
Posted: Jun 20, 2012 5:59 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 20, 2012 6:42 PM EDT
By Kym Clark - bio | email

'Dog Swimming' video causes outrage

(WMC-TV) – A video of a dog "air swimming" is making national headlines and the dog's owner, who happens to be a Tennessee lawmaker, is under fire because of it.

Tennessee Representative Julia Hurley is not a stranger to controversy. The freshman lawmaker garnered national attention after the 2010 elections when she credited her success to the time she spent working at Hooters.

Now, it is her Chinese-crested, Pepper, who is making the headlines. When a video of Hurley holding her dog outside of the car hit YouTube, it apparently caused such an uproar that Hurley took it down almost as fast as it was posted.

"We were going 10 miles an hour. I'm dumfounded that this has become an issue, I really am. And it's just one more case of a political attack," said Rep. Julia Hurley.

Pepper is a pampered pooch with her own wardrobe. She needs SPF 100 sunscreen every time she goes outside and a daily bath followed by a coconut oil rub for her dry skin.

"She's gluten intolerant, as well, so she's on a very high protein, low gluten diet. She loves yogurt, so that's good," said Hurley.

As for the "air swimming", Hurley said she found out almost as soon as the 5-year-old pup came to live with her that Pepper adores the wind on her body.

"Every time we're in the convertible, if I'm not with other people, I have to take one of the walkers and stick it under my leg because she will try to get her whole body outside. She loves it," Hurley explained.

Although Hurley believes Pepper also loves all the attention from the "air swimming" video, she does not plan to post anymore videos from her personal life anymore.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Definitely an accident waiting to happen. I don't care if they were driving 1 mile an hour- if the dog fell, it could have been hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely an accident waiting to happen. I don't care if they were driving 1 mile an hour- if the dog fell, it could have been hurt.
Thank you! I was reading it and the owner/State Rep seemed so nonchalant that I was questioning myself there for a second.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Frisco used to try and stick his head out the window, but I would never ever hold a dog out the window. That should be neglect! Its terrible!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I crack my window where only a head can fit out then I put my child locks on my windows when my dogs are in the car as my hound Gibbs will roll down my window and hang out! I hate to see a truck with loose dogs in the bed as I have had to put dogs back together who have fallen and jumped out. It is just too dangerous!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Watch that video again. If she was doing 10 mph I will eat my computer.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
After I crack my window where only a head can fit out then I put my child locks on my windows when my dogs are in the car as my hound Gibbs will roll down my window and hang out! I hate to see a truck with loose dogs in the bed as I have had to put dogs back together who have fallen and jumped out. It is just too dangerous!
They used to back in the day, but my husband said you can get something to put in the bed where you can lock or fasten a short lead to. Its extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Lol at the 10 mph comment. Even if she was going 10 mph (which I highly doubt), that could still kill her dog if she fell. Going 1 mph and she falls and rolls under the back wheel would be death as well. I mean seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? I never let my Chi in the US even stick her head out the window. If the window was down and she was sitting with me, she had to stay sitting in my lap. I could only imagine her just falling out of the vehicle if she even got close to the window.

I like the reader comment on the article page that says:

"ask yourself if you would do that with a child. when you answer no, then ask yourself why you would do it with a dog. Moron!"

Took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I understand letting a big dog, such as a Golden Retriever stick it's head out the window. I'm not saying front legs hanging out and half the body in the wind, but having the window half way down & letting the dog stick it's head out is acceptable.

Letting your small dog, however, hold it's entire body out the window is an entirely different case. This is extremely dangerous. I have a booster seat for Ote & she is harnessed in for rides, otherwise I'm sure she'd be dying to stick her head out as well, but it is just too dangerous. Go around a little curve and that dog is flying out the window. Also, I am very much opposed to letting a dog sit in the bed of a truck, without being harnessed or crated in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts