Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about getting a nice carrier for my chi for airplane travel. Id like to thank anyone who answered to that post for all your help.

I guess tbh, i am a little nervous about traveling with my dog that I have a few more questions to those who can answer me.

Do dogs get that bad sensation in there ear when the airplane goes up or down and is there anything u can do to help the discomfort...what can you carry on you incase your dog gets travel sick.

My flight is pretty long...in fact i have 2 airplanes i need to take to get to my destination. I plan on bringing extra wee-wee mats to replace for her to make the trip more comfortable.

She will be flying with me in the cabin, shes 2 years old, around 3 pounds.

Any travel advice from the pros ^__~ is greatly appreciated <3

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Make sure she potties right before you go into the airport to board your plane. Take a soft blanket for security and a little chew toy or bone, her ears may pop some so this will help with that.

I am not sure if it was mentioned in your other thread but you need to call the airport and find out what the size carrier you need to use for that particular airline as some are different and not all carriers that say that they are standard size for airplanes are for all. Also check and make sure what types of documents and vaccinations may be needed for the flight. ;-)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh I just read Flipppestars posts in that thread! very informative.
I've only travelled with my Chi by train and it was quite unpleasant.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello :) thanks for the link, the thing is...my chi doesn't like to eat/snack while she is nervous doing new things. She's just looking out.

I guess its something she has to sleep off and such? I really hope the flight goes fine :) Ty for your advice

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She might not be nervous if you get her used to her crate before hand.

Since she is small its a good idea to bring the baggy of nutrical or karo syrup in your pocket and give her a fingerful on the roof of her mouth/tongue every 1.5 hours or so to keep her sugars up.

If she is trained to use a potty pad you can bring her to the lavatory in her little carrier and put the potty pad on the floor and give her opportunity to go, too. What no one knows...no one knows ;)

Have her bedding in her crate be towel type stuff not fleece you want something absorbent.

Bring a 32 oz waterbottle with you too, such as a Nalgene...one that can withstand heat. It can get VERY cold on an airplane especially down at your feet. If you feel its chilly ask a flight attendant to fill it 3/4 w/ boiling tap water and 1/4 normal temp water, wrap it in fleece and stick it in w/ your baby to keep her warm.

You can also give your baby 1/4 of a 25 mg benedryll (I can never spell this word) pill. Do this before you leave for the airport to give it time to kick in and take her for a nice long walk before you go through security outside, so she has time to potty.

Bottom line is its not like you are going to do this every day and your baby is around 2 years old so she will be just fine, and the calmer you are yourself the calmer she will be.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would have her start learning to sleep in the crate for a time or to and make it a little longer each time. I also would carry nutri-cal with me and give that to her. it help so she wont go down in sugar. i would give her pea size every few hours. I know you wont have time to walk her out side but i bet you can get away with taking her int he bath room and walking her some and giving her some water too...also keep some dry food in your bag and give her some but not lot at once so it can last the flight. you got the right idea for pee pad having extra and give her a blanket also and a chew bone. i dont think the up and down will bug her or him. I hope some of the lady can help on here i am just giving you some of what i would do...I do hope the flight goes great..keep us posted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts