Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is super random, but I had a question. I was reading online about this lady who has a super super tiny Chihuahua and she said that she has put him in his bad and put him under her seat while on the plane and no one knew that he was there. I guess my question is, just out of curiosity, can you take your dog on the plane with YOU in your seat? And if so, do they charge for that?

Just curious after reading that..Haha

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
They will usually only allow 1 dog in the cabin per flight, so you will need to book very early. The ticket usually cost about $150.00.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I flew to BC a little while ago and there was a girl with a tiny dog in a puse that she brought on the plane with her. That was inter country travel tho, Im not sure of the rules for flying to different countries.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
In the US, yes, but the airline must know,
and you are not allowed to take them out of their carrier during the flight.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
This is super random, but I had a question. I was reading online about this lady who has a super super tiny Chihuahua and she said that she has put him in his bad and put him under her seat while on the plane and no one knew that he was there. I guess my question is, just out of curiosity, can you take your dog on the plane with YOU in your seat? And if so, do they charge for that?

Just curious after reading that..Haha
I was a flight attendant until about 6 months ago, so pretty sure this info is still fairly accurate.

Yes, small dogs, like Chihuahuas, can fly under your seat as one of your two carry on items.

1) it costs between $75 (cheapest, southwest), and $250 (most expensive, virgin air, I believe), ONE WAY, to fly your pup under your seat in an APPROVED CARRIER.

2)Approved carriers run you about $50-100, and what is approved varies by airline.

3) Puppy MUST have a vet health certificate (usually around $50) from no more than 10 days prior to your departure.

NOW, aherm, here is the REST of the info. The things we don't want you to know, and the things that should not be abused.

No one pays attention. I have snuck my chi on flights before, because I had no choice. You simply don't let anyone know you are traveling with a pet. You SHOULD still have a health cert. This is a MUST So don't try to skip this step. If you get "caught" and you DONT have one, they can take your baby away for up to a month and put you through tons of red tape! If you get caught, it is best to just simply say you had no idea there were special procedures, and leave it at that. Most of the time, airlines don't have the time or money to juggle around some weirdo and their little dog. They will make you pay and that really is it.

Now, if you plan to check baggage, check in online before. Find out where the baggage check is specifically for people that have checked in before. The line is typically shorter and people don't pay as much attention to you. Have your "chi carrier" well hidden, pup bag perhaps drapped with a sweatshirt or sweater. Should look just like a purse or whatnot. Check in your bag.

Proceed to security, where they don't check to make sure pup is ticketed with you. You just carry pup through and put back in carrier.

You do the same thing at the gate. Just act like it's a regular bag. No one pays enough attention or cares enough to snoop something like this out. We. Just. Don't. Care.

Put puppy under seat and draw no attention to them. Get off plane.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't recommend this. At all. But I have done it once or twice. The key is don't do it unless you HAVE to. When you "have" to will really vary, and it feels nerve wracking, for sure!

Airlines have a lot of stupid rules and regulations that none of us really care to enforce. We feel bad enough for people traveling as long as theyare nice =)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have taken Yoshi with me once. He doesnt make noise so he was fine. I didnt sneak him in and it costed $80.00 for his ticket. I think it is usually half of what your ticket price is. You can call the airline and ask what the specifications are for the bag you need. You can then buy online or at a petstore. I found plenty of bags that were the same size as I needed, I bought one that is a backpack, carrier and bag on wheels. That bag has come in so handy.

I saw people behind me that were sneaking dogs in and I couldnt figure out how they were getting them past the xray machine, LOL! But they literally didnt take them out of the bag, I would worry that somehow the xray maching would hurt them? I myself would be terrified to sneak them in and would worried the dog would be seized from me, but thats just me ;-) When I was called I was told we didnt need vet certificates/shot records and didnt take them, but not sure why? Thankfully nothing came out of me not having them.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have taken Yoshi with me once. He doesnt make noise so he was fine. I didnt sneak him in and it costed $80.00 for his ticket. I think it is usually half of what your ticket price is. You can call the airline and ask what the specifications are for the bag you need. You can then buy online or at a petstore. I found plenty of bags that were the same size as I needed, I bought one that is a backpack, carrier and bag on wheels. That bag has come in so handy.

I saw people behind me that were sneaking dogs in and I couldnt figure out how they were getting them past the xray machine, LOL! But they literally didnt take them out of the bag, I would worry that somehow the xray maching would hurt them? I myself would be terrified to sneak them in and would worried the dog would be seized from me, but thats just me ;-) When I was called I was told we didnt need vet certificates/shot records and didnt take them, but not sure why? Thankfully nothing came out of me not having them.

The x-ray machine is the "glitch" in all of it, where no sneaking is required. Security doesn't check that your dog is ticketed with you or even check it's health cert, they just want to make sure it doesn't have a gun shoved up it's bum, if you know what I mean. So, that's the step where you have to do everything normally, and you can't "sneak" the dog. They have to go thru the x-ray in your arms, but as long as you don't beep, they wave you on.

The vet cert/shot is a newer thing, probably within the last 3-4 years for within country travel, and it seems to me like they only really looked at it the one time I "checked" a dog?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts