Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Edited to add: in my original post, I definitely meant to say "breeds Merle's to other Merle's" not all Merle's in general.
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking smack about my dog! Hurt my feelings. ;) I wasn't really going to Troll you.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Reputable, as in having a good reputation. I was using it in a context, to reply to a comment that all irresponsible breeders are backyard breeders, or puppy mills. Which is an incorrect assumption.
That is very confusing. So then you were making the point that although she has a good reputation she is an irresponsible breeder because she breeds merle to merles? If that is the case then we agree.

Don't make me troll on your next post. I will do it!!!
I'm not sure if this was meant in jest or seriously but I think it was terribly uncalled for. If you are going to "troll on" everyone's next post that disagrees with you, you are going to be very busy as everyone has different opinions and it frankly is okay if a person thinks it is irresponsible to breed merles. That is her opinion and she is allowed to have it. She didn't say anything negative about you or your dog.

ETA: Nevermind, I see y'all have worked it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is very confusing. So then you were making the point that although she has a good reputation she is an irresponsible breeder because she breeds merle to merles?Yes, exactly. That's why the article I linked says "Westminster rewards cruelty.", and not "Westminster rewards awesomeness." or "How to win in the ring, with the low, low, cost of your mortal soul!". And for the record, I agree with all of you about merle to merle. Who does that? Idiots. Even well meaning ones.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm late in this conversation & didn't read all the way through but yeah...I don't believe the issue in breeding merles is its not a natural color in Chis & was probably caused by mixing in w/another breed (that is how we got LC's after all!)...it's the fact that breeding is VERY VERY tricky & you can easily get a hidden merle. I am not interested in messing around with merle myself AT ALL though I do think they are pretty to look at. I'll just leave the tricky work to someone else who knows what they're doing!

I did see some merles at some local shows this past summer/fall. None ever did win but none really should have either. They weren't really typey at all & just not as good quality over all. Still was neat to see since I don't often see merle around. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
This was a good thread for me. I have a merle named Kiwi, she fortunately is a single merle and very healthy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Double merle breeding has now been banned in the UK in the breeds where merle is a recognised pattern - Its too risky.

People who breed merles in the US; I would hope would DNA test to ensure that they are not doing a double merle mating as one of the dogs could be cryptic.

I'd like to know how the guy in the first link can verify that the dogs bred 50 years ago in a black and white photograph are merles??? That's a bit crazy isn't it?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I love the merle colors but I have noticed most of the Merle's I have seen have been on the larger side. My breeder told me it was because it received the dapple gene from the dachshund. They are so adorable though!!!!!!! The coloring is so unique Im sure your puppy turns heads

21 - 29 of 29 Posts