Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I just posted but I do have another question.. I never had Lion or Penny AKC registered, but I know both of their parents are. I am thinking of showing Lion in agility, so I would need to have him registered. I remember reading something in the breeder's contract that Limited Registration is $250... But I looked on the AKC site and the fee is $20. Are there extra fees? Or is the breeder just trying to make money off of people registering their pups?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The breeder can sell a pup without registration -- and charge more if you want it. But there are varying degrees of registration, limited, or full. You only need limited registration to compete in agility (I think), I do conformation showing so I did pay more for full registration for each of my pups. Bottom line is you can't register your pup without papers from the breeder, at least not with AKC.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
FWIW -- she shouldn't charge you more for limited registration, that goes against AKC's bylaws I think. But it's common practice for full registration to cost more as you are making a bigger investment in your type of commitment to the dog.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your breeder insists on the extra money for limited registration you can always ILP register your dog yourself with the AKC. ILP is for purebred dogs that can't be full registered for some reason. For instance, my chihuahua is ILP'd. She is a rescue but is clearly a chihuahua. For the registration I had to send in pictures of her standing and a head shot, height and weight, a form saying why I say she is a chihuahua and proof of her being spayed. If they agree with me that she is a purebred (they did), just not with papers, then they issue her ILP registration papers that allow her to enter any performance events that I want to: agility, obedience, rally, etc; just not conformation.

A dog does have to be spayed/neutered to do the ILP registry or the new mixed breed registry for performance events.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it has been 3 days since I emailed the breeder about papers and I haven't heard anything back. She is normally prompt about her emails so that seems a little strange.. I hope there actually were papers to begin with. If not, I guess that is my fault for not looking into it beforehand. I guess I can always ILP register them.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

She did return my email, didn't say anything about limited registration but said Full AKC would cost me $500. I don't think I need full registration because Lion is neutered and Penny will be spayed, so I couldn't show them in conformation and would never breed. Also, I found out the agility club we attend shows under a different organization anyways, so I won't need the AKC papers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts