Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have had your chi to break out of an allergic reaction? I got Zoe a new sweater yesterday(I posted pics, some of you have probably already seen) anyway, last night she was fine! This morning, when I got up, I let her outside. She wasnt out there long, then back in. After a while, I asked my husband where she was. We called and called her and she wouldnt come out. She was under the bed. When my husband pulled her out, her skin looked all knotted up and her eyes are swollen. I didnt notice it this morning at all. I was half alseep when I let her out, but still I think I would have noticed it. Anyway, we called the vets emergency # & she said it sounded like an allergic reaction. She told us to give her some Benadryl and to give her a bath. So, we did that. Shes asleep now. We have to give her some more benadryl in 4 hours. That was the weirdest thing. Shes never had anything happen like that. I was wondering if yall had and how long does it take to go away? I think it was the new sweater I got her. :( My husband said he thinks she rolled around in something outside. It just came up this morning, and I put the sweater on her yesterday afternoon. I dont know what it could be, I just hope it goes away soon & she feels better!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Awwwww poor baby... While it wasn't exactly the same, Buford did react most severly to his rabies shot. Your saying Zoe hid under the bed is what makes me think of it. That's what Bu did too. It was awful. I called the vet (after the fact, duh!) so they could mark his reaction in his chart and they told me I could have given him Benedryl.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After about 2 hours after we gave her Benadryl....she was fine. It was basically all cleared up and she felt better. My inlaws came over to see the puppies and Zoe was loving all over them. Right before they left she threw up twice...then we noticed she was broke out again. So, I called the vet and she says that happens. To wait a couple hours and give her some more benadryl. We dont know whats causing it. Im thinking maybe its the puppy food now? The food that the puppies eat...Zoe always eats whats left over. The vet said she has probably ate so much thats why shes throwing up! I dont know...but this is scaring me. Its just so weird how it was cleared up then it showed back up. Its crazy looking. Like now, its gone back down. Maybe after we give her some more benadryl it will stay gone. I hate when somethings wrong and I dont know whats causing it. I think I just freak out too much. haha Im just worried about my baby :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mylo has had an allergic reaction before and if you look on chi chat there is a thread with pics of his swallon face, his eyes and mouth were all swallon, but he had an allergic reaction to fungi from the forest. I took him to the vet and they gave him an injection to calm down the itchyness and swelling... hope your chi is feeling better, it is scary when things like this happen.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, I will check that out. She had more benadryl 2 hours ago and it hasnt came back yet. She seems to be doing better right now! Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I found it. Bless his heart...Zoe didn't look like that. Her eyes were swollen, then her head and back had what looked like bumps...but it wasn't. It was making her hair stick up and it looked like she was missing hair. I dont know. It was so weird! I cant explain it. I should have took some pics, but I didnt think about it. It just drives me crazy because I dont know what it is. I thought maybe it was her new sweater. Its 100% acrylic, but her Christmas sweater last yr was acrylic too and she didnt have this happen. The only other thing I can think of is allergic to the puppy chow...I dont know why it would be that though, because she has been eating it for a while now and today is the first time this has happened. Maybe she got into something in the yard this morning. Thats the ONLY other thing it could be. She was fine last night....so whatever it was... it happened this morning. She is doing better now. Its almost completely down...I hope it doesnt happen again. Thanks to everyone that helped!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pou big dog, Boo had an allergic rxn to piece of popcorn. She threw up immediately and the next day she hives. Her fur looked tufted up an her face was a little swollen. Our vet reccomended the benadry also and it worked right away. Hope all is well with your baby now!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts