Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have not been active on this forum for what seems like a very long time!

I adopted Prada's dam a little while ago. She has been very itchy since her arrival, constant paw licking and nail chewing. I bought some yeast shampoo to see if it would help, and while bathing her I noticed her fur was washing out in clumps. Needless to say I was very concerned and knew this was a little more serious to be handling on my own.

We had a vet appointment today, but he didn't really lean towards any skin diseases since she did not have any pustules, sores or any such things. We drew blood to test thyroid function and another test for an indication of cushings, as those are what he is suspecting along with possible allergies.

We get results for those monday and go from there.

I was just curious what everyone here thought in the mean time. She has a lot of dandruff, and her coat is very, very sparse and of different textures depending where on her back it is. Very soft and cottony near her rear and fine and rough near her nape. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but who knows.

I just feel so bad for her and want her better soon.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You can get a dog shampoo with keto in it. It will help with any fungal issues plus keep her coat washed from any irritants that might be irritating to the skin. They say you have a prescription, but if you ask the vet for it, they'll sell it to you without one. I would wash her with this once a week and then get a good doggie moisterizing shampoo like Hylite & wash her inbetween the keto washes. It's summer, so some loss of hair is to be expected. You can give salmon oil to help lubricate the skin & restore her hair condition. NOt sure what you are feeding, but the food could be causing a lot of her reactions. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am also eager to hear what you discover! I have said many times here that a dog who has fur coming out needs medical attention. Healthy dogs do not just lose clumps of fur. I am also eager to hear what she is eating.

KUDOS to you for being so diligent in following up, getting results and being prepared for action. Choosing to take something like this lightly (which could be serious if not treated), could be disastrous.

She is fortunate to have you caring for her so well!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ladies. She is eating a mixture of ziwipeak and raw meaty bones for her teeth.

Hopefully I get a call first thing in the morning with positive results. I will update you all again then.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't know much about skin conditions. My mom's chi has to have an allergy shot once a month because he has allergies to certain grasses, and he likes to roll in the grass. He loses hair. Maybe its just something simple like that. One can only hope. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is she blue? You can google CDA (color dilution alopecia) and see some examples of hair loss and see if it fits. Drawing blood and follow up was certainly the right first step!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi guys!

I have not been active on this forum for what seems like a very long time!

I adopted Prada's dam a little while ago. She has been very itchy since her arrival, constant paw licking and nail chewing. I bought some yeast shampoo to see if it would help, and while bathing her I noticed her fur was washing out in clumps. Needless to say I was very concerned and knew this was a little more serious to be handling on my own.

We had a vet appointment today, but he didn't really lean towards any skin diseases since she did not have any pustules, sores or any such things. We drew blood to test thyroid function and another test for an indication of cushings, as those are what he is suspecting along with possible allergies.

We get results for those monday and go from there.

I was just curious what everyone here thought in the mean time. She has a lot of dandruff, and her coat is very, very sparse and of different textures depending where on her back it is. Very soft and cottony near her rear and fine and rough near her nape. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but who knows.

I just feel so bad for her and want her better soon.
kinda sounds like you are describing Missy.But the difference is,our vet didnt check for any of this through blood work!BUT I'm giving the blue buffalo wilderness and salmon oil one month to show a big difference or I'm taking her to another vet.I never thought of thyroid.Some one else actually asked me about that.Wednesday will be 2 weeks for us,so 2 more weeks to go

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I had thought about that and mentioned it, but he wasn't too sure.

Just got my results for her bloodwork and everything internally is normal. He has referred me to a dermatologist, but he's very popular and we wont be able to get an appointment for the next month or so. He recommended an antihistamine for now to see if it could still possibly be allergy related and to try and help provide relief in the meantime.

Thanks again you guys :3

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, I had thought about that and mentioned it, but he wasn't too sure.

Just got my results for her bloodwork and everything internally is normal. He has referred me to a dermatologist, but he's very popular and we wont be able to get an appointment for the next month or so. He recommended an antihistamine for now to see if it could still possibly be allergy related and to try and help provide relief in the meantime.

Thanks again you guys :3
Missy is on temeril p for allergies

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to share some photos of the poor girl.
(Sorry they are so big - they're taken off my facebook page)

And this is what she looked like before her bath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts