Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corky has been scratching alot lately. I have given him his flea medicine on 7/17 (I can't remember the brand - it was from the vet and in a very small tube). I know he didn't get all of it because he was cold and I put a shirt on him and it soaked into the shirt. I haven't seen any fleas on him.

Should I treat him again with flea meds or could it be allergies?

What is everyones experiences with allergies for those whose Chi's have had them. How do you treat it?

·
Registered
587 Posts
he may have sensitive skin. If there are no fleas then go to the pet store and get oatmeal shampoo. My cairn terrier had sensitive skin and the oatmeal shampoo cleared it all up. Hope that helps!!! :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
When I first got Cooper, his skin was very dry, as well as his coat and he scratched a lot. At my vet's recommendation, I started putting a supplement in his dinner every night that contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as vitamins A & E. He hasn't had a problem since. If Corky has sensitive skin, bathing him in oatmeal shampoo will probably soothe his itching for a short period of time.

Pet stores carry the supplements specifically made for dogs - I give Cooper some kind of fish oil supplement that contains all that stuff I mentioned above that I buy at a herbal meds store. I just puncture the capsule and squeeze the liquid on his food. Of course, I'd talk to my vet before giving your pup anything like that. I do recommend the supplmeent though; not just for the health of the dog's skin and coat, but for their overall health. Cooper's coat is very shiny and soft for a short hair chi and his skin is like a baby's bottom! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Cooper's coat is very shiny and soft for a short hair chi and his skin is like a baby's bottom! :D

Good luck!
Do short hair chi's not usually have soft, shiny coats? Lily's fur is silky soft though not shiny at all, not even her chocolate parts. Should she be shiny too??? The skin on her tummy is velvety soft.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Cooper said:
Cooper's coat is very shiny and soft for a short hair chi and his skin is like a baby's bottom! :D

Good luck!
Do short hair chi's not usually have soft, shiny coats? Lily's fur is silky soft though not shiny at all, not even her chocolate parts. Should she be shiny too??? The skin on her tummy is velvety soft.
Poco's hair was always very coarse and so was Cooper's when I first got him. The shine came when I started giving him the supplements to ease his "problem skin" ... kind of a bonus. But normally, they're not shiny at all. That supplement is good for their entire body though; not just the coat and skin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts