Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
Flea has allergies - fortunately, they don't keep her up at night -but she scratches often thru the day on the common allergy areas (eyes, mouth, feet, backside)...
She is on an allergy food (Natural Balance Duck and Potato) which has done wonders for her coat - when I got her, you could see her pink skin thru her coat..now it is thick and shiny and her tail, which had short hair on it, now has long plumes..it's so great!). But...she is still itching. To the point where the fur near her ears on her head is getting noticeably thin. So, I am currently switching to a diff. single source protein food : Eagle Pack Fish and Oatmeal. So - we will see how she does on that. In the meantime, I want to relieve her discomfort. So, I will do the oatmeal bath thing. Children's Benadryl is not working (1/2 tab of the 12.5 mg chewable grape ones). So - what other OTC meds have you used on your chis? This morning my vet said - just keep trying different ones. So...I wanted to know what you use. An itchy little dog thanks you!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
really the vet should reccomend something because it is not safe to use OTC meds if you do not know whats in them and if anything is harmful to animals - I would definately get a 2nd opinion from your vet and what he wants you to try :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I agree 100% w/Clare for him to just say that is a bit open ended. I wish I had a solution for you :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet DID recommend OTC meds: tavist,Chlortrimeton, Atarax - and to use just 2 mg. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific preferences or saw one that worked better in their dog.

Guess it'll just be trial and error. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts