Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i live in florida. i'm trying to figure out what i'm required to do. and also other things i should do to keep a dog in good health.

for example.. all this is applying to a 1 year old chihuahua.

what is the cost of rabie shots and how often should i do it.
if i goto the vet..can i get just that done, or will they tell me i need other things done also and i'll be stuck with a 400 fee?

if i worm a dog myself, with a shot.. how much are they and how hard is it? is there different dosages. what should i use for a 1 year old chi?

if i keep a dog outside, like a chihuahua..
what all is required?
dog house
water/food
a dog bed
anything else?

things that i currently do..
keep nails cut
bathed often
flea-free
tick-free
ears cleaned and checked for earmites
teeth checked

is there anything i should also do?

do i have to have a county tag on my dog that has a serial number on it?
what if i only have a cheap Ebay dog tag with my name/number on it?
how much is a county dog tag? and the rabie shot tag?

will i get fined if someone came today and saw i didnt have a rabie shots on a dog? is the rabie shot required? or will they just tell me to get it done and show proof?

do i need to give a dog tapeworm liquid medicine?

what do i do to prevent heartworms? does a vet have to do that or can i do that.

can i get in trouble if my dog had puppies surprisingly and i dont have a breeders license? once i get all shots and did breed.. do i need a breeders license?

if i go and have a chip put in a dog.. how much would that cost? and how do they keep it active.. battery?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Oh boy! You do have a lot of questions:) Haha..

As for the shots, my old vet would just do the shots and not really explain what was being given, but at my new vet, she lets me know what she is giving..etc. If you only want rabies, then I would just say that is all you want. Is the dog currently up to date on everything else?? You can get rabies shots that last for either 1 year or 3 years. I would just call your vet and ask for sure.

I am not for sure about worming..but at the vet where I got it done for both my girls, I think it was only like $7..so you may want to check on that as well.

Are you planning on keeping the Chi outside permanently??

As for heartworm prevention, my girls are on Interceptor..I paid $70 for 12 months of it at the vet, but you can get it alot cheaper online..It is Interceptor for 2-10 lbs..the brown package. There are other kinds though that you can get.

Haha, I know someone on here will be able to help you out more:) Haha

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
~~~~~~~~~
i live in florida. i'm trying to figure out what i'm required to do. and also other things i should do to keep a dog in good health.

if i goto the vet..can i get just that done, or will they tell me i need other things done also and i'll be stuck with a 400 fee?

Here in Central Texas it costs about 50 dollars to get the shot. The shot doesn't cost that much but the Vet requires an office visit to give it to them. You can go to a low cost clinic and get it done cheaper. Petco and Petsmart usually have days that they do shots for free.

Your Vet shouldn't ask you to do anything else. If you make an appointment for a rabies shot, they'll just do that. They of course will ask if everything else (shots) are current, but they don't force them on you.

Rabies shots are usually a 3 year vaccine.

if i worm a dog myself, with a shot.. how much are they and how hard is it? is there different dosages. what should i use for a 1 year old chi?

You can get liquid wormer at Petco & Petsmart. The dosage is on the package. D-Worm is a good brand. Cost under $15.

what all is required?
dog house
water/food
a dog bed
anything else?

Chihuahua's are inside dogs. I wouldn't keep one outside.

keep nails cut
bathed often
flea-free
tick-free
teeth checked

Heartworm checks once a year at the Vet.

Yes, your Vet will provide it when you get the shot.

will i get fined if someone came today and saw i didnt have a rabie shots on the dog? is the rabie shot required?

Not likely if the dog is a newcomer to your home.

Not unless they have tapeworms. You can't miss em'. They look like grains of rice coming from their behind.

what do i do to prevent heartworms? does a vet have to do that or can i do that.

Monthly Heartworm meds. Some of us give them to ours once every 45 days even though your Vet will say every 30 days. Once the pup has had a Heartworm check, your Vet will sell you the monthly pills. Very easy to give. Then once a year Heartworm check to continue the prescription.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I am confused by these questions.
Is this for real?
It said at the bottom of your post you have 5 chi's before you edited it out,with all their names aswell as a dashund, so surely you know what to do by now?
I dont think chi's should be outside all the time or any dog for that matter.
Whys have them if they are not part of the family and in the home? Just the way i see it anyway, as am sure many others do too.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I was a bit confused as well, because I just read the thread with the pics of all your other Chi's including the 10 week old pup :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i didnt want anyone trying to report me since i dont have up-to-date shots. i've read where people report IP addresses and such.

i'll call the vet on monday and find out the prices.

so i can do the worm shots myself. should i do a siringe shot or a liquid medicine?
i need them checked for heartworms first before i buy heartworm pills right?
obviously the vet has to do the rabie shots
no tapeworms that i've seen.

i have 2 males that go outside alot and 1 female. they come in at night.
then 2 small females that i keep inside, they're potty trained. and sleep with me.

going to get a book on potty training tomorrow because i really want to bring my other 3 in.

my females use puppy pads. but the males like lifting there leg up on everything. so its gonna be hard to potty train them i think. i do have tile floors though so atleast its better than carpet.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
well i didnt want anyone trying to report me since i dont have up-to-date shots. i've read where people report IP addresses and such.

i'll call the vet on monday and find out the prices.

so i can do the worm shots myself. should i do a siringe shot or a liquid medicine?
i need them checked for heartworms first before i buy heartworm pills right?
obviously the vet has to do the rabie shots
no tapeworms that i've seen.

i have 2 males that go outside alot and 1 female. they come in at night.
then 2 small females that i keep inside, they're potty trained. and sleep with me.

going to get a book on potty training tomorrow because i really want to bring my other 3 in.

my females use puppy pads. but the males like lifting there leg up on everything. so its gonna be hard to potty train them i think. i do have tile floors though so atleast its better than carpet.
I think it's wrong to keep small dogs like chihuahua's outside. Just because 3 aren't potty trained doesn't make it right to keep them outside. The poor things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think they like it but i cant speak for them. even my new puppy will sit by the windows with the sun light shining on her. i think they like the sun every now and then. she loves to go outside even.. she starts hopping all over the grass. i do bring them in alot so they dont stay out alot.

any advice on keeping the males from lifting there legs on couches? would Stay Off effect them at all?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
and you have all these chi's and have been keeping them outside, not wormed or anything? How long you had them? Don't breed. I can imagine all these poor chi's living rough outside.

If you're keeping them outside why you just asking now what you need for them?

Sorry if I offend but I can't keep my views to myself

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
i think they like it but i cant speak for them. even my new puppy will sit by the windows with the sun light shining on her. i think they like the sun every now and then. she loves to go outside even.. she starts hopping all over the grass. i do bring them in alot so they dont stay out alot.

any advice on keeping the males from lifting there legs on couches? would Stay Off effect them at all?
I've had chi's for 14 years and I know for a fact Chi's love to cosy up and cuddle up. I could not imagine a chi sleeping outside even in florida.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you really didnt answer any question I posted. I'm confused on why you even posted????

If you read, I said they come in at NIGHT.. so that would mean they dont sleep outside. They sleep inside. I also said they "go out alot" which obviously means they live inside but go outside alot during the day. The questions in the first post asked what to have outside when they're outside.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Well you really didnt answer any question I posted. I'm confused on why you even posted????

If you read, I said they come in at NIGHT.. so that would mean they dont sleep outside. They sleep inside. I also said they "go out alot" which obviously means they live inside but go outside alot during the day. The questions in the first post asked what to have outside when they're outside.

and you said you'd like to bring in the 3 who aren't trained. Why say that if they are in? Plus you asked what you need to keep them outside. I have mine out in the garden but they are not kept outside. You are keeping them outside and are now trying to back track.

Keeping a chi outside and letting a chi go outside to play and go toilet are two very different things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, i want to keep them in 24/7 except to go out and play/potty for a few. plus i want my males to use puppy pads if they're not let out in time to use the bathroom.

when they're outside playing and all... i was seeing if i was missing anything that I dont already have. dog house/shade, water/food, etc.

thanks to the people who actually answered my questions. I'm calling a few vets tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
How old are these dogs? Have you ever taken them to a vet before? Surely any vet would check them for worms etc.. and its so dangerous to have them outside (during the day whatever) if nthey have no vaccinations.. parvo is rife.. along with distemper and whatever else it covers you're lucky your dogs haven't died. I've been to Florida its HOT.. dogs like the sun but you have to be careful they don't get heat stroke.

You're going to have to go back to basics for potty training them..

I'm totally against little dogs living outside.. its totally irresponsible.. dogs are meant to be part of your family and looked after. Get them checked over thoroughly and do what your vet advises.

·
Registered
809 Posts

You need to get the rabies shots done as required by law. Some states or counties are okay with a 3 year vaccine, some require yearly rabies vaccines. You need to ask your vet. As to what your vet will want to do... it depends on what needs doing. An exam, fecal, heartworm test and vaccines are probably needed for each of your dogs if they haven't had them. You will need to discuss this with your vet. Please develop a good relationship with your vet as you seem to need a lot of help with health questions.

There is no need to deworm with a shot. Most monthly heartworm preventatives contain dewormers as well.

what all is required?
dog house
water/food
a dog bed
anything else?

I agree that no dog, small or large, should live outside. I keep fresh water outside for my dogs but they just go out to potty and play and then back inside. They are only allowed out when I am home, never when I'm away so no need for doghouses or beds.

keep nails cut
bathed often
flea-free
tick-free
teeth checked

Good stuff.

what if i only have a cheap Ebay dog tag with my name/number on it?
how much is a county dog tag? and the rabie shot tag?

You need to check with your county to determine if your dogs need to be registered with the county. If they do then 'yes' you need registration tags. They need identification as well and normal dog tags work well for that with names and emergency contact info for you on them. Rabies tags come with the shot. The cost of the shot varies from vet to vet. Have your dogs never had any vaccines done? You need to get them to the vet and discuss this so you can get them protected. Have they had their puppy vaccines such as parvo and distemper? Those are also important. Cost is much less than trying to treat the diseases or losing a dog to a preventable disease.

will i get fined if someone came today and saw i didnt have a rabie shots on a dog? is the rabie shot required? or will they just tell me to get it done and show proof?

Again, depends on the county and the mood the animal control person is in.

Only if they have tapeworms.

You need to give monthly heartworm preventative to all your dogs. It is a pill that they can eat. Very important, especially considering where your live. But they must be tested for heartworms first and must be negative to start prevention.

can i get in trouble if my dog had puppies surprisingly and i dont have a breeders license? once i get all shots and did breed.. do i need a breeders license?

Depends on you county and what they consider to be a breeder. But considering how little you seem to know about keeping dogs please, please, please don't breed your dogs. There is a ton that goes into raising a litter of puppies!! You need to get your girls spayed and boys neutered as soon as possible.

if i go and have a chip put in a dog.. how much would that cost? and how do they keep it active.. battery?
Usually around $30-40. There is no keeping it active, no battery. It is a small, rice size, chip that has a bar code type thing on it that a scanner can read. Your information is registered with that number.

For having 5 dogs you sure are missing a lot of the basics of dog ownership. Please start doing some serious research both on line, in books, and by talking to your vet.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Not meaning to sound off hand but my question is this

How long have you actually owned dogs as you seem to know nothing taking into consideration all the questions you asked.

My second question is, as you seem to have very little knowledge in the basics why have you got so many dogs? Surely having so many you would have already been through the process of which injections etc are required and costs.

I htink the misconception about you keeping dogs outdoors for a lengthy time came because you asked if you needed a kennel etc.

A kennel is not required for the amount of time a dog goes out to pee and play a little. when my dog goes out he is only ever in the garden from 5 - 10min and then he wants back in. H elikes ot be with his mum lol

It is good that you ask questions but again it is confusing why you need to ask when you have so many dogs. I am assuming you haven't just got all these dogs together recently but have had them for some time, time enough to have them needing their injections, wormers etc.

Cheers Deme

1 - 20 of 41 Posts