Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was doing okay with feeding, but now that Angel is 6 months old, he is getting a little pudgy! He weighs between 7 and 7.5 pounds. I give him Fromm and Orijen. Recently, I have mixed in a little canned food, don't really know why. Anyway, he gets 1/2 cup a day dry and 1 tbsp wet. I spread it out over 3 meals. Treats are not many. He's always looking for more food! My last chi got up to 12lbs!! I am afraid to feed him too much, but I don't want him to go hungry (he probably won't) but it makes me feel bad when he looks at me with those "can I please have some food" eyes!!
Any suggestions? The food packages say 3/4 to 1 cup per day, but I think that would be way too much. I can see him getting "pudgy!"

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is a common problem. Dog looks at us with wishful puppy dog eyes and we give in and feed too much. Go by body condition.... if he is looking pudgy - then cut back on the food/treats. No matter how sad he looks! If he gives you those sad eyes - get outside and go for a walk! Go throw a ball! Get down and have a play session!

Chi's are predisposed to knee and joint problems. It's SO common and excess weights makes it much much worse.

Keep him lean. You know what is best. Don't overfeed. He will be healthier for it!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
That sounds like my Ninja he eats, sleeps and breathes food he's Always begging and waiting at your feet in the kitchen I've struggled with keeping him at a healthy weight due to others in the house giving into his sad faces your dog really will be better off there's a thread on here about his weight loss progress im on my cell phone so am
Unable to post a link to it but you can find it in the search he was up to almost 11 lbs at the beginning of it and even right now he is pudgy again at 7.2 lbs the thread inposted has pics also if you find it

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Treats are an absolute non-essential in most cases and add lots of cals. Trying switching to bits of green bean, melon, apple and the occasional cheerio (plain) for treats and give sparingly. Of course if you treat train... you are limited as to how far back you are able to cut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts