Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hear me out...
Yesterday I took Reese and Miley in the car to take them to one of the parks downtown for a long walk. We usually walk around or neighborhood or go hike at the lake/dog park, but I like to change it up for them. Well when we got downtown there was some sort of event taking place in the park, bounce houses set up and people everywhere, so I tried to go to another lovely but small park a few blocks down, and the whole main STREET was closed for the same event, some fundraiser thing with games and food and entertainment, etc.
Discouraged, I headed home. Our neighborhood is lovely, but small, and the only other neighborhood by us is not particularly nice, so it is difficult to do long walks by our house. Anyway, I was almost home when I made the split decision to indulge in something Ive been tempted to do since we moved into our new house 5 months ago. Across the street from the entrance to our neighborhood is a really beautiful, and in my defense, public cemetery. It was spectacular! Rolling hills, gorgeous, huge trees, countless winding paths. Neither of them pooped but obviously I would have picked up after them if they had, and I of course kept them off the grass and strictly on the path. I called and asked my fiance if it was even allowed, hes a city police officer, and it is. But it felt a little wrong. Heres the problem, I think Im addicted! It was so beautiful and peaceful, and only saw one or two other people visiting. And its so close. I want to go back!
It is public, and isnt "not allowed" but it feels a bit wrong. Is it? Would you do it? Can I go back, or would that make me a heartless, horrible person?

(Im not intending to be disrespectful or to offend anyone, I apologize sincerely if I have)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think it's lovely!! Think of all the people buried there who loved dogs. :) They'd be smiling to see you guys enjoying a walk.

I would just be careful to pick up any poop and not let them urinate on a grave. But walking on a path? I think that would be perfectly fine. I see no disrespect or problem at all.

·
Registered
489 Posts
yea once you keep them on the path and clean up after them i dont think their would be a problem...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, I think it is just fine as long as you are respectful and keep your pups on a leash. We have some beautiful cemetary's here and they make for a lovely relaxing walk. I think you have found a perfect place to exercise the dogs and relax YOUR mind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a cemetary across the street from me also, and regularly walk my pups over there, keeping to the paths and making sure they leave no, DOO :) I figure as quiet as it is, it makes for a good walk. I've even noticed some of the headstones have dogs or cats or other animals on them, which I think is really neat :) I don't see a problem with it in the world.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, it really does make for a lovely walk and I know we all enjoyed. Tracy that is such a great way of looking at it, I think we will make it a regular stop for walks now.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with what the others are saying. As long as you are respectful and clean up after them I think it would be fine.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I don't see a problem with it either. Sounds very peaceful. My Momma always told me not to step on any graves, just stay on the paths. I remember her telling me that when I was very little and my Grandad died. So I was always afraid if I stepped on a grave I would get grabbed by whoever was buried there.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see a problem with it either. Sounds very peaceful. My Momma always told me not to step on any graves, just stay on the paths. I remember her telling me that when I was very little and my Grandad died. So I was always afraid if I stepped on a grave I would get grabbed by whoever was buried there.
Ill have to tell that to Miley! She kept wanting to run up on the grass. Someone put a pinwheel in the ground by one of the headstones and Miley was totally transfixed, she was desperately tugging at her lead trying to investigate. A little fear of getting grabbed through the ground would improve her cemetery etiquette immensely.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I personally don't think its disrepectful. Cemetaries are usually quite and peaceful places, it would be a good spot to take a nice walk.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As long as you're respectful and pick up after the dogs and don't let them on any graves, I think it would be a great place for a walk. Just think of all the dog lovers out there looking down and smiling!

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree. As long as you are being respectful, not throwing a frisbee and having a picnic or something, I see nothing wrong with it. I think some activity is nice in a cemetery as it's so quiet. I would think it's nice.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd go for it--it sounds wonderful! Obviously do as you plan & pick up any gifts & of course not let them pee on anybody. But it sounds like a great place & I'd use it for a walking place as well if I had the opportunity. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it! There's actually a famous cemetery here in DC that is also considered a dog park and dogs are off leash all over the place except during memorials or burials.

My little brother passed away in 2006 and I bring Jackson to the gravesite with me. I know my brother would enjoy it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i don't see any problem with it at all. if you run into anyone, it's more than likely that seeing your dogs would cheer them up, i always feel a little happier when i run into someone with their dogs while i'm out and about.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I can tell you as a person who has a very beloved, deceased loved one, that it would not bother me one bit to have someone such as yourself, who is respectful walk their precious pet where he is buried. I would love to be able to walk where my grandson rests.

I went to a huge apple orchard the other day to pick apples up off the ground for our goats and that was also one of the most peaceful places I have ever been. I feel sure they would not permit my walking the dogs there though. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts