Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought (and been told!) that I am good at training dogs. (I'm certainly bossy enough that they know I'm pack leader, LOL!)

But, I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm completely on the wrong track with Harry, or if it's just that Chis are particularly strong little individuals!

By the time he was 12 weeks old, I had Harry trained to sit, fetch, lie down, come when called etc. He was great. But now (at 5 mths) the little s*d completely ignores me unless it suits him, i.e. he happens to want to play 'training games'.

To give you an example, this morning, he'd been eating his chicken wing outside on a blanket, but decided to bring it indoors. The next few minutes were a complete farce, with me commanding that he go outside with it, while he ran around the living room with the chicken firmly jammed between his jaws. No command halted his running in the opposite direction, and when I got cross, so that my stern command turned into a shout, he just looked at me defiantly and wagged his tail at me! I had to resort to calling hubby to stand at one end of the room to chase Harry where I could catch him. Aaaargh! I hate shouting at animals, and he certainly didn't look threatened by it.

The chicken wing was just an example. He's just got more and more disobedient, the bolder he gets and the older he gets. If he 'escapes' into a part of the house he's not allowed (because I think it's not safe for him, not for any other reason!) and I try to call him back, he totally ignores me. Or does the 'running in the opposite direction' thing like this morning.

Do they always go through a seriously disobedient stage, or have I been way too soft on him and garnered no respect in the process?

Helllllp please, I love this little guy to bits, but I feel that all the hours I spent training him when he was young were just wasted :(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Elle he's starting puberty they're like kids stroppy disobedient little sods!! You just need to re affirm your position as pack leader make him do a bunch of tricks before you feed him!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel your pain Elle. My family has two dogs not counting my Chiquita and I've trained both very well. One's another chi but he's an outside boy and the other is an old english bulldog and she's just a beast but they're both well behaved. Chiquita on the other hand when my mother found her she was shy and timid but listened really well to commands in both Spanish and English. Spanish because the area my mom rescued her from speaks mostly that. But after a while now that she's grown comfortable with everyone and being here she won't LISTEN AT ALL! It drives me nuts. She knows "sit" "lay down" "go potty" and "go to your bed" but lately she just ignores me or runs off the opposite direction and is a full on brat unless there is a treat involved.

Perhaps he's rebelling? Like adolescents do? I'm not sure what age chi's reach that point or maybe he thinks its all a big game with the running around chasing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elle he's starting puberty they're like kids stroppy disobedient little sods!! You just need to re affirm your position as pack leader make him do a bunch of tricks before you feed him!!!
Hey, Sarah! You mean he's like a teenager who deliberately does the opposite of what his parents want him to do, just to p*** them off? ;)

Seriously though, I have actually been trying to reinforce the previous training I gave him, to remind him I am top dog, not him. I also (occasionally) deliberately take his food right out of his mouth when he's in the middle of chomping on it, just to reinforce that *I* am the dominant one who gives him his food, and can take it away. (Also so that he never has a problem with me sticking my fingers in his mouth!) Perhaps I should do that more often?

All this reminds me about Chis and world domination that someone on here has in their siggy, LOL!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hopefully he is going through a stage. When training my pups one of the things I do is to confine them to the room I am in. I also keep them on a leash in the house until I am sure they are trustworthy. It has always worked well for me. Then I don't have to play the chasing game with them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel your pain Elle. My family has two dogs not counting my Chiquita and I've trained both very well. One's another chi but he's an outside boy and the other is an old english bulldog and she's just a beast but they're both well behaved. Chiquita on the other hand when my mother found her she was shy and timid but listened really well to commands in both Spanish and English. Spanish because the area my mom rescued her from speaks mostly that. But after a while now that she's grown comfortable with everyone and being here she won't LISTEN AT ALL! It drives me nuts. She knows "sit" "lay down" "go potty" and "go to your bed" but lately she just ignores me or runs off the opposite direction and is a full on brat unless there is a treat involved.

Perhaps he's rebelling? Like adolescents do? I'm not sure what age chi's reach that point or maybe he thinks its all a big game with the running around chasing?
That's exactly it... at the moment absolutely everything seems to be a game to Harry!

Hopefully he is going through a stage. When training my pups one of the things I do is to confine them to the room I am in. I also keep them on a leash in the house until I am sure they are trustworthy. It has always worked well for me. Then I don't have to play the chasing game with them.
I've never thought of doing that! I have to admit I've never had to with previous dogs, but then this is my first Chi. I'm actually trying your suggestion at this very moment, as he's being a brat right now, LOL! I've just put on his harness & flexi lead. We'll see... ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree that it's just him being a bratty adolescent. I also leave a leash on puppies, that they drag around the house, so that I can catch them in case they are doing these very things. However, DO NOT use a flexi lead for this. A flexi should not be used as a drag line so get a regular length, 6 foot, leash.

Also keep NILIF going.

Good luck. You'll get through this and have your well behaved pup back!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would suggest keeping him tethered (on a leash) and reinforce everything he's been taught, Zoey is 5 years old and I still have to reinforce things. As they age all puppies will go through a rebellious 'teenhood' stage where they test the limits to see what they can get away with. Just use lots of treats/praise and make your training sessions fun, also if he runs away, run the opposite direction, that usually works to get them, as you found out 'chase & keepaway' are fun games for him to play, but if you're not playing it's not fun. Also implementing the NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free) method might help, which means before he gets his chicken wing he has to sit etc, before treats etc he has to sit or do something YOU want him too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ah, the terrible teens! Perhaps keeping him on a leash attached to you would do the trick. Keep him from disobeying in the first place and set him up for success. When he doesn't come when called, gently pull him to you and praise him, do the same with any command, gently make him obey and then praise him lavishly. Hopefully, it is just a stage he's going through and his good manners will surface! Good luck.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha - you have a teenager. :) Seriously, it will get better. They go through that rebellious stage where they just don't give a flip what you think. Just keep on the straight and narrow and this too shall pass.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She knows "sit" "lay down" "go potty" and "go to your bed" but lately she just ignores me or runs off the opposite direction and is a full on brat unless there is a treat involved.
Yep.. that's it exactly, LOL!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that it's just him being a bratty adolescent. I also leave a leash on puppies, that they drag around the house, so that I can catch them in case they are doing these very things. However, DO NOT use a flexi lead for this. A flexi should not be used as a drag line so get a regular length, 6 foot, leash.

Also keep NILIF going.

Good luck. You'll get through this and have your well behaved pup back!
Yes, I did change over to an ordinary line, it was getting silly unwinding him all the time, LOL!

I would suggest keeping him tethered (on a leash) and reinforce everything he's been taught, Zoey is 5 years old and I still have to reinforce things. As they age all puppies will go through a rebellious 'teenhood' stage where they test the limits to see what they can get away with. Just use lots of treats/praise and make your training sessions fun, also if he runs away, run the opposite direction, that usually works to get them, as you found out 'chase & keepaway' are fun games for him to play, but if you're not playing it's not fun. Also implementing the NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free) method might help, which means before he gets his chicken wing he has to sit etc, before treats etc he has to sit or do something YOU want him too.
Yes I do use the NILIF method *most* of the time. But I admit I do sometimes forget when I'm in a hurry and I have raw chicken in my hand.

Ah, the terrible teens! Perhaps keeping him on a leash attached to you would do the trick. Keep him from disobeying in the first place and set him up for success. When he doesn't come when called, gently pull him to you and praise him, do the same with any command, gently make him obey and then praise him lavishly. Hopefully, it is just a stage he's going through and his good manners will surface! Good luck.
I do hope it's just a stage!

ha ha - you have a teenager. :) Seriously, it will get better. They go through that rebellious stage where they just don't give a flip what you think. Just keep on the straight and narrow and this too shall pass.
A teenager is not something I have any experience with (apart from being one myself once upon a time, LOL!) 'cos I really don't remember previous dogs being quite this bad at ignoring me.

Are Chis particularly strong-willed little devils? Or is it because they get so much extra attention because of their cuteness and vulnerability?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts