Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all probably know, I am getting my puppy in a few weeks. I have already started shopping for her, but I am making another trip to the pet store on the weekend to get any final items.

So far I have:
--Crate
--Bed
--Food/water dish

My list of things to get on the weekend:
--Puppy pads
--Puppy pad holder
--Treats
--Harness?? (Do you think I should wait on this item because I don't know about the sizing. I'm not sure if they are adjustable enough and if I should get a kitten sized one or just wait for a while?)
--Plastic carrier? (This is a maybe...but I think it'd be a good idea if I'm going to be bringing it places a lot.)
--Litter box (a cat one or dog one if I can find it)
--Dental chews / snack bones (How early can you give these to a pup?)
--Plush dog toy (My boyfriend's grandmother who has had a lot of little dog said that it's not a good idea to give a puppy a plush toy because then it would be led to believe that it is okay to chew your personal clothes and blanket becuase it wouldn't be able to differentiate things like that from the toy...what do you guys think?)
--Rubber/vinyl toys (Any recommendations on other toys I should get?)

Oh, and of course food, but I will get that close to the date.

I appreciate and tips/comments! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Good list so far, I would also recommend a fleece blanket to put in the crate and snuggle up with and I would also recommend getting a ferret harness - it should fit perfect (I know it did with my little guy).

Dental chews should be OK to give to your pup early on but don't let her chew on it for too long and definitely don't let her chew on it unsupervised.

Do get a plush toy for her - she will probably snuggle up next to it when she sleeps. I would also recommend a squeeky toy.

I'm sure you'll be getting lots of other suggestions from the rest of the board. :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I would definately get things to chew on. I know when Mikey would go to bite or nibble on our hands we would say no and then give him something he was allowed to chew on. Mikey has a squeaky plush toy and he loves it.
Sounds like you're pretty prepared. :thumbleft:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
puppys can have soft chews - it does say on the back of pack if its not suitable for puppys .

definately get a cuddly toy - you can buy dog ones which are more hard wearing - the thing i found useful was a teddy bear water bottle as it is something warm and cuddly for them to snuggle to.

definately get a fleecy blanket - is there anyway you can buy one and give this to the breeder a week before you get her so it gets moms smell on etc.

mine love a squeaky furry bone aswell - its there favourite toy :wave:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ohh, congratulations on your new puppy! :D

It seems like you have a great list and know what you need to get. Like everyone else said, I definately recommend getting a stuffed animal for her to cuddle up with in the crate. It works well with Harley too. :)

Jessica

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am all for the plush doggie toys, especially the different ones made by Booda. My duo loves them, they are picky, they will only play with soft plush type toys, they won't have anything to do with the squeeky plastic feet, pacifiers, newspapers, none of that. I don't have any problems with them chewing on socks, other stuffed animals, or anything. Once it gets their smell on it, from being in their crate as a soft cuddly toy, they will see it as a comfort thing and play with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got denta bones for small dogs for my pip, he demolished it in one day. Then, I found out they weren't for dogs under five pounds or so. I about freaked out. He has been fine, but I recommend you read the back of the package before buying. Infact, I have to start a post regarding just that.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You should also have some Nutracal or Nutrastat on hand in case of hypoglycemia.
I used to have to give it to Sandy every morning to give her a jump start. I would give her some first thing in the morning and then she would eat her food. If I didn't give it to her, all she would do was sleep.
Koke didn't need any though, she was always ready to eat when I first got her. She was such a little piglet, and looked like it too. But she looks fine now, she's not fat anymore. I didn't put her on a diet, she just proportioned out as she grows.
You might not need it, but better to be safe then sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.