Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get this to the point where i put in a couple hours every few weeks to prep meals in ice cube trays so the daily is a no brainer. My fridge and freezer look like I work in a butchers shop so Im trying to keep what I need for the week in my normal fridge and the rest in my basement fridge.
Does this make sense or am i over thinking this?

I have 1 oz cubes (which I give to them frozen especially in the heat) of beef, pork and chicken (more beef and pork). 1 oz cubes of bone in chicken and 1/2 oz chicken hearts.
for kidney and liver I weighed out how much each needs for a week (it was about .88 oz a week of each) and portioned that out and froze it.

I kept 1 weeks worth for each dog in my kitchen freezer so each day I just grab what I need for the meal (anywhere between 2-3 oz a day per dog) and then i take out the kindey or liver and slice some off and give with the portioned cubes. my thought was ok i have this amount each dog needs to get through in a week. if mid week i see i have more liver left than i should I increase a bit or vice versa.

I was driving myself crazy trying to put the kidney and liver in each meat cube or every few because the amount was so small and I ended up with 30 zip lock bags each labeled different etc. So I figured that if i know the total of what they need in a week I would be able to just make sure they get through it in a week. Heck maybe I can even do a month worth? or is that too long of a time to assume it will average out enough?

I am a dog trainer and do A LOT of rescue work so I have anywhere from 4-8 dogs here at a time. I dont mind putting the time in but i want to do it in batches so the daily isnt a chore.
again, whoever came up with the ice cube tray idea is brilliant lol

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Works for me! As long as you are feeding mostly meat (80%), some bone in pieces (10%) and 5% liver and 5% kidney or other secreting organ you are good to go. It doesn't have to be a daily balance. It all balances out over time. Your strategy sounds just fine!

I do organs once a week on the weekends. I give a meal of organs Saturday and one Sunday with a bony cornish hen piece to balance out the stools and it works great. Some dogs can't handle a whole meal of organs. Each dog is different.

But sure! It sounds like you are doing great.

· Registered
946 Posts
I like to prepare ahead too. I buy everything in bulk (price advantage!) and separate into weekly portions. Trying to do it daily was taking too much time for me, but the weekly portions are just right. It only takes me 5 min or less to feed 3-5 dogs. Mine average 1/8C for the meat so I bought 8 1/8measures. This way my mess is only the measure and a spoon, & they just pop into the dishwasher! :)

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Instead of portioning out the meat and then adding the organs I weigh my meat and then work out how much organ I need to make 80% meat + 5% liver and 5% kidney (bones are just seperate 2x weekly, I do wing tips or chicken nexks so the amount of meat on those is negligible and I don't count it). I freeze the liver and kidney first and then grate it and mix it through the big bowl of the meat, then I portion it out into the freezer bags. Not sure if that's easier than your way but it's something else to try. Also I feed ZP for 1 meal a day so I don't worry about being 100% perfect with my ratios like I would if I was doing 100% raw.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
I used to diligently buy, de-fat, chop, grind, mix, then freeze & defrost my own portions for my pack UNTIL I discovered Dr. Billinghurst's B.A.R.F. in my pet store that comes in every "flavour" imaginable is actually MUCH more economical, balanced & healthier than me doing it myself.

I pay $19.50 for 12 sachets (1 sachet between x 4 dogs = 1 meal) so a box lasts me 12 days. They also give a $40 voucher for every $400 I spend. Then ZiwiPeak is the other meal as well as jerky treats, chicken wings etc.

The most important thing with the bought BARF meals is that the dogs love it so much more than they did mine, bit of a slap in the face for me, but a win, win situation for everyone, especially my wallet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.