Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Merle chi pups are now 5 weeks old. I am going to keep them until they are 10 weeks or even 12 weeks. I feel like I want to give them the best care and potty training before they leave the nest. I have so many people interested in them and I am narrowing it down to a few (with me possibly keeping one). My question is, is it wrong that I want to spay the female before giving her up? I absolutely don't want anyone to mate her. Especially because she has such a gorgeous color, I feel like her future owner just wants to make money off of her, as he already wants to put cash down! I offered to get her spayed at my expense, but he insisted he'd do it himself. Why? Aren't I saving him time and money?

Also, he claims he "used to" breed chihuahuas and he no longer wants to do that as it puts a tremendous toll on their little bodies. If this was the case why won't he just let ME do it?

So am I right or wrong to have her spayed before adoption?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
She's going to be MUCH too young to be spayed. It's not safe at such a young age.

If the new owner is giving you bad vibes then pick a different person to adopt her to. One bad vibe can be a sign of evil things to come.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes, it's a little of both sides I think. He MAY just be refusing to have you get her spayed because she is way, way too young to be spayed. No WAY I'd agree to my breeder wanting to spay my puppy before I took them home at 12 weeks. And I have never bred a dog in my life, mine are always spayed/neutered at the appropriate age.

But, if you don't trust him and don't want the pup to go to him, you certainly don't have to sell to him. They're your pups, you can pick and choose people to take them as you see fit.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Take your time and find another home that doesnt mind a spayed female. Sounds fishy to me.

I am editing this because I realized you are talking about a puppy. I have to agree that she is to young to spay. I would wait and find a home you trust and just sell on a spay/neuter contract.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I agree with the others, that is way too young to spay. Like Alaina said, I would never buy a puppy if the breeder wanted to spay her before giving her to me at that age. I personally believe spaying/neutering should be done way later once the dog is fully grown. I completely understand your concerns though. If you don't really trust him, give the dog to someone else. Take your time to pick the right person. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with what the others have said, that she is too young to spay, and that you shouldn't give her to this man, wait until it's somebody you feel comfortable with.

At the same time though`,

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Pediatric spays are detrimental to the long term health of the dog. Ideally a bitch should be fully grown and have had at least one season before spaying.
Sell her with a contract to spay or at least not be bred from. Don't sell to anybody you don't trust

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Follow your gut, something is telling you this guy isn't the right, but agree with everyone she is too small to get spayed. Find another family

My vet wont spay my chi, she is 6 months 2.8lbs and is still to small to get spayed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Follow your gut, something is telling you this guy isn't the right, but agree with everyone she is too small to get spayed. Find another family

My vet wont spay my chi, she is 6 months 2.8lbs and is still to small to get spayed.
Agree with the others , definitely listen to your gut feelings x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts