Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, Midgie has been on two different antibiotics in the last 6 months. The first one was Amoxycillan which didn't seem to bother her. Once she was done taken it, she developed a UTI, then was put on Clavamox. She broke out in hives after being on it since Sept. 20th. I took her off it last Tues. Now the wholistic vet thinks I'm totally against antibiotics. I'm not happy with them & thought that a wholistic vet has alternative all natural remedies that take the place of antibiotics.
My first visit to the wholistic vet last Wednesday went good I felt. I didn't give her any meds. Just a regimen of stuff to take:

Flam-ease (powder capsule) 2 a day
Braggs apple cider vin (1/4 tsp 2 x a day)
Vit. c (1/8 tab 2 a day)
Cranberry capsule (1/2 cap 2 times a day)
Cod live oil (start with 1/8 tsp a day)

He said her PH was high, but when I test her PH at home with the strips, they seem to be in the normal range. What's got me really worried is he said her bilirubin levels were high.

On my way out the door, he made the remove, "I just feel I aint doing enough for the cyctitus." That got me wondering what he meant. I spent 3 hours going over everything with him. I thought we were clear with a plan to help Midgie. Call today & find out that they thought I didn't want her on any antibiotics. I don't, but if it's the only thing that's going to help then we need to find the right one that works for her, right?

Waiting on a call from them for a new plan of action, maybe? So tired, so upset! Want to crawl under a rock. Sorry for the rant. :confused:

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I'm not sure why he thinks you're against antibiotics. Obviously you would be leery since she's had a reaction already. I would think that a holistic vet would have antibiotic alternatives, but still use antibiotics when necessary, which might be the case. Sounds like there was just a misunderstanding? Is there another holistic vet that you could get a second opinion from? I've never been to one, so I'm not sure how it works.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It depends on the holistic vet. Many vets practice 'integrated' medicine, which means they use both holistic approaches as well as more standard treatments, and each dog will get one, the other or a combination of both depending on the dog and their issues and needs. So, some holistic vets do use antibiotics, though likely more sparingly than a mainstream vet.

Standard/allopathic treatments are big guns. They address symptoms, have quick responses but often come with adverse effects or cause damage to the body if used long term. However, many integrative vets do still use them, especially for acute conditions.

Holistic treatments are much gentler with fewer risks and side effects, but they also tend to take longer to work (weeks rather than days) and you don't get that immediate change that you usually see when you put a dog on allopathic meds. Holistic treatments tend to focus on improving the overall wellness of the dog, rather than removing a single symptom, and they often provide better long term results for chronic conditions.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on the holistic vet. Many vets practice 'integrated' medicine, which means they use both holistic approaches as well as more standard treatments, and each dog will get one, the other or a combination of both depending on the dog and their issues and needs. So, some holistic vets do use antibiotics, though likely more sparingly than a mainstream vet.

Standard/allopathic treatments are big guns. They address symptoms, have quick responses but often come with adverse effects or cause damage to the body if used long term. However, many integrative vets do still use them, especially for acute conditions.

Holistic treatments are much gentler with fewer risks and side effects, but they also tend to take longer to work (weeks rather than days) and you don't get that immediate change that you usually see when you put a dog on allopathic meds. Holistic treatments tend to focus on improving the overall wellness of the dog, rather than removing a single symptom, and they often provide better long term results for chronic conditions.
Thanks Smith. That explains a lot. Wish I had realized that at the beginning. I think he's a little of both. They are mailing me some Baytril since I had a conversation with them this afternoon. I love the theory about treating the overall wellnes of the dog, rather than just the symptom. I only wish I was brave enough years ago to try a holistic vet, then maybe I wouldn't be in this situation now.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure why he thinks you're against antibiotics. Obviously you would be leery since she's had a reaction already. I would think that a holistic vet would have antibiotic alternatives, but still use antibiotics when necessary, which might be the case. Sounds like there was just a misunderstanding? Is there another holistic vet that you could get a second opinion from? I've never been to one, so I'm not sure how it works.
You hit the nail on the head!! Totally a misunderstanding, but I'm so tired from being up night after night with her, that I may have gave that impression. He is a combination of holistic & traditional and is mailing some Baytril now. He knows he's the only game in TN & bragged about a lady driving all the way from Ohio to see him. I've read his reviews & the majority of them are fantastic. The negative ones are from some skeptics & dissatisfied people. As the saying goes, you can't please everyone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont mean to jump on the bandwagon here but please be careful with Baytril, there is alot of side effects and it should never be used on any dog under 2 yrs of age. Me personaly, i would never in a million yrs let anyone give my animals Baytril.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts