Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you spoil a puppy by holding them too much? My baby is 8 weeks old and very attached to me. She enjoys everyone else in the family, but it is very clear that I am the one she wants to be with. I have a cage for her that is large enough to have her pee pads on one side and the other side has a blanket and food/water bowls. This is where she sleeps at night and I lock her up in there whenever we all leave the house. This cage is inside of an exercise pen. During the day her cage is always open (unless no one is home) and she is able to go in and out of it and have the extra room in her pen to play and she has a nice little bed out there. We also open her pen door when we take her out to play and are able to closely watch her. Well, it's to the point that I am always scooping her up and holding her. I hold her while I am on the computer, watching tv or anytime I am not walking around doing something. She loves to be held and I love holding her. I even made a sling for her to lay in safely while I am typing on the computer so that she doesn't slide off of my lap and can be up closer to my face. I won't pick her up if she is whining or being noisy. I definitely don't want to encourage that! We also have playtime on the floor with toys but she does spend a huge amount of the day on my lap. So, do you think this is spoiling her?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
As long as you aren't letting her "guard" you (ex: she growls at another person while in your lap) and she is getting plenty of socialization with other people, I don't see anything wrong with her being in your lap. Just make sure she has good interactions with other people holding her and doesn't become possessive of you. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by only picking her up when she isn't whining.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
It is your choice how you bring your dog up. Puppies are babies, they need rules and boundaries, but they need to feel loved and secure too. My only worry would be that she may become overly dependent on you. I have tried to encourage a certain level of independence with my two, because it is impossible to always be with them. As long as she is happy to be left alone for short periods, I don't see the holding as an issue as you say it is by your invitation. Chi's are lap dogs, that is why we have them :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'd say yes you're spoiling her; but not in a bad way, lol! Like Missy said as long as she's still behaving properly and isn't showing signs of possessiveness, separation anxiety or anything; enjoy her. That's one of the things I love about little dogs; mine always want to be fawned over, held, etc. We do a lot of cuddling and snuggling here; but we also make a point to let our dogs "be dogs" and they know that they have to mind their manners. The one thing you might want to take into consideration; is that since dogs are SO impressionable at her age, it might be confusing to her later on in life (some can live 15+ years) if things change and you are no longer able to have her with you as much. If you can, use this window of opportunity to take her as many places as you can, getting her adjusted to LOTS and LOTS of different sounds, sights, etc. (where's that rule of 7's sticky??) it'll help to make sure she stays confident as an adult. And as long as you have her pen set up (which sounds great by the way!!) so that she has time alone and learns to self-sooth and that it's okay to be alone sometimes, you should be on the right track. =)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Chis are lap dogs...They are meant to be spoiled, in my opinion. You could do lots worse!

Right now, I've got one laying on the back of the couch behind me with his head on my shoulder. Another is lying beside me with her head resting on the corner of the keyboard/laptop. And, little Diesel is sitting on my lap between me and the computer and I'm having to look around him to type.

I'm probably NOT the one to give advice on this thread...:confused:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chis are lap dogs...They are meant to be spoiled, in my opinion. You could do lots worse!

Right now, I've got one laying on the back of the couch behind me with his head on my shoulder. Another is lying beside me with her head resting on the corner of the keyboard/laptop. And, little Diesel is sitting on my lap between me and the computer and I'm having to look around him to type.

I'm probably NOT the one to give advice on this thread...:confused:
That is a great image!

I love having my little girl on my lap. I want to take her everywhere with me but I go too many places that would never allow a dog. For example tomorrow, I have to go to the health department to pick up my daughter's shot records to get her registered for school and then I'm going out to the butcher's to pick up some raw stuff for the puppy. Actually, I can't think of many places that I could take her other than a park or pet store. I don't have a purse or anything that I could put into that would hide her. I should probably look into getting one of those, lol.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I held Daisy when from 6 weeks old to about a month ago or so almost all the time. Than something clicked and now she perfers to rest under the bed or go play with the cats and isn't following me or whinning for me to follow. But she will come (unless she fell asleep and cant hear me, shes a deep sleeper) when I call her, let me see her and off she goes again.

So no I don't think your spoiling her. But if you can and this is something I am trying to do but its darn hard with only having one car and not a lot of neighbors. Take her places, dog parks, pet stores, even friends homes (just be careful of the small kids.) Let people speak to her even pet her if you dont have a problem. IF she starts to growl while shes on your lap when someone comes near you, put her down and tell her no growl. Also try to get her around other animals too.

Other than that have fun spoiling her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.