Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading another thread regarding weight and I realized that my chi is quite a bit bigger than most. I looked at the weight chart and if I'm reading it right than it's not expected that a 12 week old chi should weigh any more than 45 oz. Mine weighs 52 ounces, (3 pounds 4 oz.) and at every age on the chart since I've had her she has weighed more than the upper limit for that age (I don't know what her weight was at any point before I got her).

I guess she's going to be pretty big for a chi. Does anyone have a guess as to how big she might get based on her 12 week weight? Has anyone else had a chi as big as her?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
people normally say double the 12 wk weight for the adult weight
so it is saying she is 6 8 ounces i dont really go by this as its never worked for me LOL

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
If the formula does work, she'll be less than 7 pounds. The breed standard is 2-6 lbs. but I know of more chi's that are 5-8 lbs. My niece has an eleven pound, gorgeous, big boned fluffy chi. He is a purebred and his parents were an average size. It does happen. I wouldn't worry as there are so many different weights, bone structure, body size, etc. etc. We did start walking Riku every day and he lost over a pound. The vet says he is just a bigger boned chi.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Well I tried the Chart 3 different ages and 3 times it was wrong. lol
So I no longer believe it. But I still want to see what it says about him. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine is 2lbs 13oz at 11 weeks. according to the charts that would put him bigger than I think he will be. I'm guessing mine to be 5-6lbs as the parents are and all the previous litters are now full grown at about 6. Mine was the runt when born though at 3oz.
I dont know how people do the 2-3lb full grown ones. it's just soooooo little! lol

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
i have a little one here who is 3 pounds at 6 months and i always worry about her now the biggest chihuahua i have is 5 1/2 pounds, i do prefer them to be a least 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 i think they less worry to me

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
9 pounds is still a tiny dog.

I honestly wish mine was bigger. I'm always worried I'm gonna hurt her somehow. She's about 3.5 to 4 pounds.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My Babs was 13 wks when we brought her home and she weighed 3.5 lbs. Now she is 19 mos old and 7.2. Lovee was 8 wks old when we brought her home and 3.7 lbs, now she is 7 mos and 8.8 lbs. The trend since Paris and Tinkerbell has been to breed quite small chis and that is what gets the most attention. However, there are still quite a few breeders that get larger than 6 lbs dogs. They aren't AKC show quality when they weigh more than 6 lbs but make great, sturdy little pets.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Kobi is a whopping 9.5lbs at 1 yr old, but he really needs to go on a diet I think. He doesn't exactly look fat, but I think he could stand to lose some weight. Butters is 5.5 months old and weighs 4lbs.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
chi-chi is 9 or 10 lbs.... he's not fat... he's just larger than other chi's. I like that though to be honest. I wory less about him :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, this really does make me feel better. I was thinking her weight was really strange for a chi, but now I see it's not so unusual. I guess it does make it easier that she's tough and hardy!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
As I said, I like the fact that chi-chi is a little bit bigger. The only way I would really worry is if it seemed like she was fat. Some chi's are just larger than others :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
They say double 12 week age so approx 7lbs. My Rocky is 6.9lbs. Believe me they are better slightly bigger, less fragile. Id rather have a bigger chi than something too tiny!

I agree. The breeder I visited for a playdate had one chi pup that was soooooo small. It looked like a hamster blur (I couldn't see it because she was running so fast). I tried picking her up once and she squirmed so much that i was terrified I was going to drop her or squish her in my efforts NOT to drop her. Good grief. I was terrified and didn't try to pick her up again. I think the breeder said she was 12 weeks and 1 lb 2 oz.

My personal preference is for the bigger boned chis. I love, love, love a furry one with a fat little tail, a thick ruff around his or her neck, and short ears and nose. There's a beautiful one featured on YouTube called Pablo. His owner posts vids of him playing with his "sister" Ramses the doberman. The Pablo and Ramsey channel...lol...I'm addicted.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading the weights of everyone else's chis make me feel like mine is a monster. Cabo is 1 yr and 3 months and he weighed in at 12 lbs at his last appointment. He is very slender but is also tall and solid. My vet even argued that there is no way that he can be chi because "they don't get any bigger than 6 lbs", according to her. Even after I explained to her that he was considered a "deer head" chi she still refused to listen, claiming that he just had to be an Italian Greyhound or Whippet. I have looked at picture after picture of both breeds and see absolutely NO comparison to my baby boy.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Reading the weights of everyone else's chis make me feel like mine is a monster. Cabo is 1 yr and 3 months and he weighed in at 12 lbs at his last appointment. He is very slender but is also tall and solid. My vet even argued that there is no way that he can be chi because "they don't get any bigger than 6 lbs", according to her. Even after I explained to her that he was considered a "deer head" chi she still refused to listen, claiming that he just had to be an Italian Greyhound or Whippet. I have looked at picture after picture of both breeds and see absolutely NO comparison to my baby boy.
That doesn't sound too huge to me. Especially since my dog weighs about 10 lbs....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Venus weighed 2 lbs 4 ozs at 6 weeks. She is now 7 months old and weighs 8 lbs. She is healthy though. Her body looks wonderful, not overweight or underweight, she just has a bigger body.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts