Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
I think Jago is about 8lb, not sure, it's not something I think about! Compared to lil Rosie he is big, but more often I look at him and think what a little lad he is :)

Barbara x

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have one that's ten and one that twelve. It doesn't sound bad to me. I really prefer the larger ones. My ideal is around five pounds though. I try not to think too hard about Jake and Lily who are around three. I did see a chi at work yesterday that was 1.8 pounds at six months. Made my jake look a giant. Sweetest dog in the universe but i couldn't have one that small.

L

·
0 Posts
Boy, their weight can be all over the place! I've had three Chis, one weighed four pounds, one weighed 12 pounds, and Kozanna weighs six pounds. First two were AKC registered. Kozanna is a puppy mill rescue, but purported to be full Chi with papers that we never received, of course. She does look like a Chihuahua.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My guess is that breeding is not an exact science. Even though you breed the same two dogs together twice, does not mean you will get the same number of pups, colors or sizes. My Lovee's (8.2 lbs) mom is only 7lbs her dad is only 4.5 and she had two siblings, which were both bigger than her at birth, one is 4.5 and the other 3.5. Lovee isn't overweight but she is a good 1.5inch taller than Babs. Her legs are very long and much heavier that Babs. Babs has such delicate feet and legs, I worry about her breaking something, but Lovee has good sturdy legs. Theyhold up to Babs chewing on them quite well. lol

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Harley was 6.9 lbs at his neuter appointment but I know he has grown since then and would say he is probably closer to 8-9 lbs now. Simon is probably about 4-5 lbs at 5 months. If the calculation is correct, Simon will be about 6 lbs full grown. No matter to me what size they are, I love them just the same.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't have much experience with the weight chart, but just to give you another example- My boy was exactly 3.3lb at 3 months, but is now 5.5-5.8lb fully grown. So that's almost double. His weight may still fluctuate a bit though, since he has different habits in the winter vs. summer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Toby is a lean 11.2 pounder. he is a big boy. very nice looking if I say so myself. Sasha we have had for four months today and she is 9.2 pounds. she is overweight tho and should be around 7 the vet said. We will have to start her on an exercise plan!!!!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I just weighed our Faith today and she came in at 6.9 lbs and she'll be 4 years old in May. She can stand to lose a little weight and I have her on a nice walking schedule to slim her up just a tad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My roommate's boyfriend has a chi that's almost twice the size of my 5.5lb furbaby. I've never seen a chihuahua that big before and I definitely prefer one I can carry around. With three small children in the house though, its easier to only have to worry about one being tiny enough to get hurt. She's usually by my side though. We haven't had any issues with the kids. :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
bam weighed 2.5lbs when i brougth him home at 8 weeks, then around 3lbs at 12 weeks. He now weighs around 8lbs. he still feels tiny to me

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's funny to see them grow :p My Oliver is 11 months now, but I can still remember the days that I could scoop him up with my palm, no effort necessary. A little later and I needed to carry him more on my arm... and now he gets carted around like a football hahah (carefully, of course).

My previous neighbour had two Chis who must have been at least 12lb, but I'd say closer to 15lb as they were the size of my mother's schnauzer/poodle mixes. One of them certainly looked all Chihuahua to me, but the other had a strange colour and look to him, so I wasn't sure.

I like the bigger Chis, and I'm actually more of a big dog person myself (as soon as I get a house with a yard, I'm getting a doberman or greyhound), but part of the reason why I got a Chihuahua in the first place was because a small dog made the most sense for my lifestyle. If Ollie had grown bigger than his 5.5-5.8lb then I might have been a bit disappointed. I'm hoping to get a second one soon, and I'm probably going to aim for a 4lb (or so) girl. You can bring your dog to a lot of places in Montreal, and there's lots of great streets for walking, so having little ones just makes it easier I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Piper is 15 lbs-
This is Piper at about 6 months- she’s 15 lbs Now at 2 years old. ( vet says she’s about 1 lb over weight)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been wondering if I'm the only person with huge chihuahua babies! Apparently not! One of mine is 12 lbs at 3 years old and his brother is 19 lbs at 2 years old. They are legitimate brothers that I got from the same person. Their parents and other siblings are all under 8 pounds. I just so happen to get the 2 extra special ones! I have a hard time convincing people that they are chihuahuas though. 😂 They are a lot more playful than my tiny 5 lb chihuahua was but still cuddly, loving lap dogs (the youngest/biggest sleeps on my shoulder) Both are long hair and beautiful. I love them so much! 💙 New here so trying to figure out how to post pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know this post is old but had to chime in. Chico is 10 years old pure bred long hair Chi. Both his parents were about the same size he is now. He weighs between 10 and 11 pounds. He is fed 1/2 cup of food daily split between breakfast and dinner. He goes outside to potty four times a day and get a piece of food kibble for pee and a one inch piece of beggin strip for poop. During our lunch he sits patiently waiting for his food. He is always hungry. So he gets either a piece of his kibble or one little cheerio. Vet says his weight is perfect. Don't worry about your pup whatever his weight. As long as he is healthy that is what matters. Just love his as he is. :love:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts