Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
knee problems

Amberleah knee problems, they keep going out and she goes down on her butt. My poor girl sure has the problems for such a young girl. I am going to have to get them fixed she cant even run she goes down. They don't seem to hurt her she just gets right back up with leg up for few mins then is OK . But happens several times a day. Question how much does it cost for knee surgery and recovery time?
I will never get another dog from private home, BRB :foxes15:

In case you wondering I am still waiting for U of M to call me back for her genitals. I did call them they still are talking about her case.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I think the cost of surgery depends on your area, but I believe it can be upwards of $1000.. Has the vet seen her knees yet? If you get her insured with Petplan or another insurance company and her knee problems aren't on record yet, the surgery would be covered. You would have to wait 6 months though before doing anything about her knees.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I don't know.. Neither of my dogs have LP so I don't have experience with it. However my BF's mother's dog has LP in both back legs and doesn't need surgery right now, he gets around fine.

Does it keep her from moving around? You could always insure her and cancel it if need to take her in before the 6 month exclusion period is up.

Hopefully someone that has more experience with LP will chime in.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have the bronze plan for Lion... It cover $8000 in vet bills per year. I pay a $200 deductible and then I reimbursed 100%. It costs $240 per year.

From what I hear, PetPlan is one of the best insurance companies.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have ASCPA insurance, and they didn't pay ANYTHING for Emmie's two knee surguries. Said that it was not covered 'cause most tinysmall dogs have it. Endemic was the term they used. Good luck. Sue

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What does she do w/ the leg? Just collapse on it? I wonder if its her hips not her knees...its best to wait to do any ortho surgery honestly til a dog is done growing and over a year of age...some do it sooner but it seems results are best when the bones are what they are going to be. I def recommend Petplan but do be aware if your vet has ever written ANYTHING down about her knees then you are SOL on getting them covered...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would get the insurance like today if not yesterday lol Hopefully they haven't said anything about her legs. If they have then it's not like your losing anything your only gaining if they haven't and from your vet it sounds like you need a better one.

Let us know when you get a response form u of M on her genitals I'm very interested in the results.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This poor baby. BTW, my 5 year old female has an enlarged private area, but the poor thing was a breeder before we rescued her--have no idea how many litters she had. She's spayed now and will spend the rest of her life being my spoiled Peanut.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
W Petplan it is cheaper if your dog is a mix...since you don't really know Amberleah's background, you could find out if you can get the insurance for her as a mix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here in Canada the surgery costs upwards to $3000 per knee...my dog Jose has it but its not that bad yet...he will kick out his leg at times when running but it doesn't collaspe.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Question how much does it cost for knee surgery and recovery time?
I will never get another dog from private home
I have a post on here about Chico and his LP surgery journey, it has pics of his xrays, costs invovled, surgery site pics... you might check it out...... He has had 2 surgerys in the last 2 months and PetPlan has been wonderful in paying out. I highly recommend them....he will need another surgery (Hip) but I am going to try and wait a yr for that one.....

as far as buying a dog from a home...... I don't think that matters.... Chico has Champions in his background and still has the leg problems....I keep saying I got the 'lemon of his pack' but I still love him :daisy:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Jan - there are some VERY bad lines out there :-/ Champions or not, its so sad they have done nothing to preserve or better the health of the breed, I wonder if your breeder was working w some of them?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Jan - there are some VERY bad lines out there :-/ Champions or not, its so sad they have done nothing to preserve or better the health of the breed, I wonder if your breeder was working w some of them?
I don't know... she seemed Great.... and is the President of the Chihuahua club of Marylnad.... I *assumed* she should know her 'stuff'

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You would think but sometimes they are the worst :-/ If there was any Burgundy or BK's in her pedigree chances are that's exactly where the problems came from, its awful :-/ I won't touch a dog w/ those dogs in their background w a 10 foot pole.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I called vet today and there is NOTHING in record about knees hips, just open frontal and her vulva problems. thank you My Father in heaven..
Do you think I can put a wrap on her bad knee to hold it in place? or do they sell them for dogs?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts