Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here because I need some words of encouragement and advise. My Molly broke her leg on April 18th. Yesterday my Vet told me it hasn't healed at all and the lower bone has completely turned. No guarantee that Orthopedic Surgery would even correct the issue. Molly is scheduled for leg amputation this coming Thursday. I don't know what to expect..Please comment!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm so sorry that this happened to your Molly. My Maya broke her leg when she was a pup. They think it was like a greyhound type fracture from running and cutting too quickly. Anyway, we did extensive surgery to put a plate in her leg ($$$) with an orthopedic surgeon vet and then it had to be removed because she was still pulling up the leg when running. After removal, her walking was fine, but she would still pull it up when running despite it being "healed". I often think that it might have been less traumatic for her to amputate in the first place as it still bothered here (obviously) since she pulled it up. She could run like the wind on three legs, for what it's worth.
So, I think she will adjust well. One thing I can't recommend enough is the puppy purse. It's like a sling and you can wear your dog while she is healing so she can stay off the healing leg. The Original PuppyPurse Pet Carrier System: Home Page
Good luck and i"m sorry this happened.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I Don't have any advice. I just wanted to welcome you here. You have landing in a wonderful place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did everything right. I just don't understand how weekly visits for 8 weeks showed no sign of the damage and this option until the x-ray....In my mind, I know this is the right thing. In my heart, well, my heart is shattered.
I am not comfortable with anesthesia, and this major trauma to her psyche and her body.
Molly, is however, a very rambunctious, tough little cookie. That is beside the point. It broke my heart to see her in the tremendous pain she was in when she originally fractured the limb. I just can't bear to see her in pain once again. And for how long? This Vet that is taking care of this is not my normal Vet. That in itself is a long story. I guess it's best to put it this way. She is lucky she is a surgeon and chose to go into Veterinary Medicine as her people skills, tact, and bed side manner are almost none existent.
I don't mean to sound judgmental, I am just scared. I greatly appreciate your response and your Babies are adorable!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you either. Hopefully some more people with experience can chime in.

One thing I do want to say is that dogs are very VERY adaptable. Most likely you will miss it longer than your baby will.

Goive her love and cuddles for me.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
there was another little one on here that had its leg amputated after [I think] it broke for a second time after being in plaster. I know it was all ok after the initial trauma and I am sure someone on here will remember and point you in the direction of the right thread.
Try not to worry too much I am sure she will do fine sending hugs x x

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am very sorry it has happened with your baby. But, as a vet, if it was recommended by another colleague, probably this is the best solution.
I also think the dogs are very adaptable and they will not mind if they have 3 or 4 legs. After they learn how to walk in 3 legs, it is over !! They are not like us and are examples for human beings !!
Good luck and be strong :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
ive herd of alot of chi babys that have had there leg amputated and do just fine and get around with ease.My sister has a cat actually with 3 legs and the cat gets around faster than all our other cats <3 she uses her lil nubby to pounce and stand on<3

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Tracilea's Willy had the amputation surgery. Here is a thread on what to expect. She did pics of him healing through the surgery. He has recovered and gets along great according to her.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-pictures/53362-willys-pics-danielqr79.html

Which leg did she break? My Twiggy mostly uses three legs, her bad one is her back leg while Willy lost his front leg. Twiggy is the fastest, bounciest dog, she had never let not having 4 good legs keep her down.

And here is a website for owners of tripawd dogs. They are a great bunch of people and will let you know everything to expect during and after surgery. (it's not just for cancer survivors, there are dogs that lost their legs for a variety of reasons.)

Tripawds Blogs Community Canine Cancer Dog Amputation Recovery Tips Help Advice Information

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CP. I am so sorry this happen. But Pam posted a very good thread for you to read thru. I am sure Everything will be fine and he will adjust to the surgery (((((HUGS)))))

Tracilea's Willy had the amputation surgery. Here is a thread on what to expect. She did pics of him healing through the surgery. He has recovered and gets along great according to her.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-pictures/53362-willys-pics-danielqr79.html

Which leg did she break? My Twiggy mostly uses three legs, her bad one is her back leg while Willy lost his front leg. Twiggy is the fastest, bounciest dog, she had never let not having 4 good legs keep her down.

And here is a website for owners of tripawd dogs. They are a great bunch of people and will let you know everything to expect during and after surgery. (it's not just for cancer survivors, there are dogs that lost their legs for a variety of reasons.)

Tripawds Blogs Community Canine Cancer Dog Amputation Recovery Tips Help Advice Information

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about little Mollys leg. I'm sure the both of you will be in for some big changes. I hope you can find the encouragement and advice that will be greatly needed on CP. Please keep us updated. I will pray for the both of you:)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I wish there were something I could say! You and Molly will be in my thoughts. It's very difficult, like parenting, you don't want them to be little china dolls, but then you get nervous when they start playing real hard!
I wish Molly and you, a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all who have sent their prayers, hugs, and support. I greatly appreciate it. I am trying to stay mentally strong. But it is tough. I will report on the surgery and how she is doing as soon as I can.

Bless You All!!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
God Bless you and Molly....I hope everything goes well with the surgery. I know how hard this is got to be for you, but you love Molly a lot so I am sure your love, care and support will get her through. You will also have many prayers and support coming from this forum. Please keep in touch and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thinking of you and Molly...when my Dary had his ortho surgery, he did not make a full recovery (the outcome was "fair," according to the surgeon) but in spite of his limitations he had an excellent quality of life and a lot of fun! I am sure that, even as a three-legged dog, Molly will do just fine! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts