Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An apple head with a deer head face?

I know my chi is an apple head cause the vet told us he has the molera, but his face looks like a deer head to me. Is it possible to be a mix of both?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I don't believe that a molera is a sign of "apple head" Chis. There really is no such thing as a deer head chihuahuas that have slightly longer noses and legs than what is standard. Therefore, many chihuahuas have qualities of both- those terms are just used to describe a shape. There are only two variations of chi: long coat and short coat.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My new 16 week old applehead puppy does not have a molera. Lots of breeders have specifically bred the trait out of their lines in order to minimize the safety issues involved with the open skull.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Its just a convenient way of describing a general type. I would describe my youngest as a deerhead type because she has a slender frame with long legs and a longer muzzle (she also has a round apple shaped head but is still more one type then the other).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
My new 16 week old applehead puppy does not have a molera. Lots of breeders have specifically bred the trait out of their lines in order to minimize the safety issues involved with the open skull.
Sorry Sarah but I have to disagree, strongly.

This is why I hate breeders playing God & messing with things that ought to be left well alone i.e. basic body structure/conformation.

They're there for a reason as far as I'm concerned 'coz it used to be natural as nature, same as with all human babies - imagine if scientists started messing with genes & DNA to modify human babies to be born with closed heads, they'd probably pop out looking like aliens who had crushed brains that could only operate to 10% capacity due to size restriction!

Once upon a time, a long time ago, the first thing a Judge did was feel the Chi's head, especially when the Merle debacle first emerged, so I read.

There's a website around somewhere of certain breeds today, compared to how they were 100 years ago, and it's downright scary when you see what the heck breeders have taken it upon themselves to do. The German Shepherd is just one classic example! And every breeder justifies by their actions by saying they're bettering the breed - yup, just ask the owners of red/white Cav's if they're improved.

I wouldn't ever again own a line-bred dog if it was given to me along with an open cheque for a lifetime of veterinary expenses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His head doesn't look like a deer head to me. His head is real round and has the molera. I guess I just have a deer face apple head^-^

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The molera does not indicate one way or the other. His nose is longer than most Chis. How long are his legs? What does he weigh? How old his he? I personally don't think it matters one way or the other, but he seems like what some people call a "deer type" to me. Without the answers to those questions I couldn't really tell you. The roundness of his head and the molera do not indicate anything other than the fact that he is a chi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you EastGreenChihuahua and nabi for your nice compliments:D Well, pupluv168, his legs are short and he's 11 weeks. Last weigh in was at the vet and he was 8 weeks. He weighed in at 2 pounds

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
At 8 weeks, he's probably too young to be accurately described as one or the other. He will probably grow into himself. I don't think you will be able to judge his final shape before 6 months of age. He is a cutie no matter what though :) I'm partial to the light colored ones!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts