Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Ote went into heat for the first time! Luckily her doggy diapers arrived this morning, so that was perfect timing. She does NOT like the diapers at all, and walked around stiff-legged for the first 20 minutes that she had one on. They look hilarious and everyone that has come over has commented on the fact that she is wearing a diaper. I feel horrible that I have to "limit" her like this, but we rent and can't have her making a mess all over the carpets. I have a couple questions about Chihuahua's in heat. Do they have cramps? I have noticed that Ote is very tired, occasionally very hot, and growling/grunting a lot. I guess she is having the dog version of "PMS"?! Mojo is trying his hardest to bust through the door to my room and get to her. He is neutered, but I guess that doesn't change anything.

Her new zebra print seat-style dog stroller came today as well. It is going to be perfect for the 5K walk that we are going to on Sunday, and there's no chance that she could jump or fall out. The water fountain we ordered for the pups also came - it has a filter and is constantly running to encourage both dogs to drink more. So far, they both love it.

Ote munched on a cornish hen leg for the first time today. She loved it. In the past, she had been eating a lot of chicken breast, chicken wings and chicken necks. Now I'm introducing cornish hen and red meats. So far, so good.

Her new favorite treat is dehydrated duck feet. Mojo can't have these "delicious" snacks because they are far too small for his big mouth and there is chance he could choke on them. I'll be posting a lot of updates about Ote this week. We have a lot of events going on.

Any tips/suggestions about her being in heat are greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
TBH I'd be crating/separating Ote and not the other way around, in a secluded location (bathroom or unused room perhaps)...your whole house will smell like a bitch in heat whether she has worn diapers or not. You can go by chlorophyll at the health food store and give her some of that to help neutralize her smell. But, for the most part, its best to just keep your bitch calm and separate. Give her a good bathing after she comes out of heat.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have Ote seperated - Mojo still has free roam of the house. Ote is in my room except when I take her outside to go to the bathroom. Usually she has free roam of the house as well. I saw chlorophyll chews at the pet store when I was last there, I will have to pick some up. Thank you for the helpful tips!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and I also wanted to add that Ote IS going to be spayed. The veterinarian wanted her to go into her first heat and then spay, allowing her to be a bit older and hopefully a tad larger. She is scheduled for surgery in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh, and I also wanted to add that Ote IS going to be spayed. The veterinarian wanted her to go into her first heat and then spay, allowing her to be a bit older and hopefully a tad larger. She is scheduled for surgery in about 3 weeks.
Sounds like she and Lacey will be spayed right around the same time! We can be worried mommas together :D

I know when Lacey was in heat, she was very grouchy and indecisive. She insisted on being near me, but the metallic/fishy smell she was giving off made my stomach turn. Also, she would want to be directly under my feet, but completely unwilling of me touching her.

I do have to say when I put the diapers on her, I had to use heavy-duty packaging tape to keep them on as they were twice her size, even in an XXS. First time I put one on her, she did a hand stand and walked about 10 steps only on her front feet. I laughed so hard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
awww poor thing! , im getting tillie done hopefully at the end of this week but i need to know wat days the vets do ect. and im glad she likes the cornish hens! you know where they come from!? cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOP! :D x

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
BG started her first heat at the vet clinic to be spayed! LOL My vet made us wait 4-6 weeks after the cycle to spay her as she told me it takes that long for all the little blood vesseles to go back down to normal size.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like she and Lacey will be spayed right around the same time! We can be worried mommas together :D

I know when Lacey was in heat, she was very grouchy and indecisive. She insisted on being near me, but the metallic/fishy smell she was giving off made my stomach turn. Also, she would want to be directly under my feet, but completely unwilling of me touching her.

I do have to say when I put the diapers on her, I had to use heavy-duty packaging tape to keep them on as they were twice her size, even in an XXS. First time I put one on her, she did a hand stand and walked about 10 steps only on her front feet. I laughed so hard. :rolleyes:
I got custom made diapers for Ote (they were cheap - and I'm very glad I did that!! They are oh so helpful!) so I'm not having the "too big" problem. I was expecting that. I just went to Concord Pet today and looked at the disposable diapers and the smallest size they had was XXS for 5-15 lb. dogs!! WAY too big. LOL Ote had the funniest reaction to the diapers as well. Such funny dogs they are!! And yes, Ote just wants to curl up on me. Luckily her stench isn't too bad yet, but it's getting there. I got baby wipes to "clean" the area and maybe make it stink a little bit less.

awww poor thing! , im getting tillie done hopefully at the end of this week but i need to know wat days the vets do ect. and im glad she likes the cornish hens! you know where they come from!? cornwall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOP! :D x
Good luck with Tillie getting spayed!! She will be fine I am sure. This may sound silly, but I didn't even put it together that Cornish Hens would be from Cornwall! They are somewhat hard to find, so when I see them at the market, I stock up. You're lucky, you have a constant supply!!

BG started her first heat at the vet clinic to be spayed! LOL My vet made us wait 4-6 weeks after the cycle to spay her as she told me it takes that long for all the little blood vesseles to go back down to normal size.
Oh my, maybe that's a question I should pose to my veterinarian. I called last week to schedule, as I knew she would be going into heat very soon (the signs were obvious....she was acting weird, her "area" was enlarged and red, etc.) and we made the appointment for June 13th. They didn't say anything about the blood vessels to me, but that is concerning, I am definitely going to give them a call. Thank you!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh my, maybe that's a question I should pose to my veterinarian. I called last week to schedule, as I knew she would be going into heat very soon (the signs were obvious....she was acting weird, her "area" was enlarged and red, etc.) and we made the appointment for June 13th. They didn't say anything about the blood vessels to me, but that is concerning, I am definitely going to give them a call. Thank you!!
Also, all the vets around here say to wait at least 3 months after their heat
(18-21 days after the first day of bleeding). Waiting the 3 months allows any internal swelling to go down and therefore makes surgery easier and safer.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Good luck with Tillie getting spayed!! She will be fine I am sure. This may sound silly, but I didn't even put it together that Cornish Hens would be from Cornwall! They are somewhat hard to find, so when I see them at the market, I stock up. You're lucky, you have a constant supply!!
LOL! i never actually heard of them in till i came on here! LOL yeah its weird no one seems to put two and two together! lol x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts