Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope you can help me out because I'm a little confused. How often should Hopie's anal glands be...um...released? Expressed? Cleaned out? What's the right word exactly? She's not been dragging her bum a lot recently or anything and I think about a month ago she expressed them herself if that's even possible (she dragged her bum and a clear liquid came out, sorry I know that's gross). Anyhow, I had the vet clean them out a few months ago and I was just wondering how often? When I give her a bath I check her out and nothing's swollen or anything, but I'm a bit nervous about trying to do that sort of thing myself. Any tips? Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
i do my 3s i check them every 3 months if they feel full i express them myself if you lift her tail imagine it like a clock gently press 4 and 8 and squeeze gently if a yukky liquid squirts out they need expressed and if you just repeat squeezing till nothing comes make sure you wear gloves and do it either outside or in the bathtub as it is smelly if you dont feel confident doing it yourself id take her too the vets and get it done good luck x

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
If an odor is coming from that area and the anus is protruding that usually means mine need theirs done. I do mine myself as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My male gets expressed monthly but my two females don't need it done at all. I have a vet tech do it as I don't get it all when I try to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts