Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pico was having anal gland issues (scooting and dripping...yuck!). Our vet recommended adding shredded wheat to bulk up his stools but I feed both dogs grain-free.
After some research, I decided to try canned pumpkin and it worked very quickly!
I give Pico (8 lbs) a heaping tablespoon with meals twice a day. Gilda (23 lbs) gets 2 Tbs twice a day. Both dogs LOVE it.
The pureed pumpkin freezes well too! I noticed that Pico no longer walks while hes pooping... I think it's really given him relief.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes canned pumpkin works great but keep in mind giving them too much can also cause their bowls to be loose as well. It is all in quantity given as it can work great for both :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently pureed pumpkin is not available year-round so if you plan to use it, stock up now!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet potatoes are also well liked by dogs and provide lots of fiber. You can cook your own or buy plain ones in the can and mash them...

·
Banned
420 Posts
Does anyone know a good alternative to canned pumpkin? I can't find that anywhere here in the uk?

I give all my pugs canned pumpkin once a day to 'help gland issues'

I get it in a local shop that has an american food department, The shop is in Surrey! (maybe if you contact them they may sell mail order? or if you can get to Surrey you could pick some up :D )

Bentalls Kingston | Department store | Contact us

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I was thinking of giving Cricket canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Will it help out? Because I know I feeding her too much raw, but she is hungry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts