Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you express your Chi's anal glands yourself? Bailey has an appointment tomorrow for vet to show me how to do. This is her 3rd time she needs it done.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I confess, this is one thing I can not do. I take both
of mine in once a month to be expressed to prevent
any problems, but I'm too weak stomached to do it
myself.

:shock::oops:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Pico has AG issues. My vet recommended adding shredded wheat but both dogs are grain free. I use canned pumpkin instead and the results were alost immediate. Plus, both dogs love the stuff!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Howmucks much do you give of pumpkin? Thanks!

Her stools aren't lose and she never scoots. I only know cause of the smell :confused2:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought some canned pumpkin and gave her a little to try and she LOVED it!! Can someone tell me how much to give?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I do it for Yoshi often and Chibi once every so often. I also have to do it for my Dane. Our Sheltie and Weim have never had issues with it. We have changed foods quite often and they eat Orijen Regional Red and I still have to express glands pretty regularly with Yoshi but not as often with Chibi

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi ive never done it busters vet never said anything and he checks him completely he doesnt scoot so im leaveing them alone or am i supposed to?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
If there are no issues with it and you do not see scooting, smell any odors from that region, etc... then I wouldnt start it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not much pumpkin needed for a Chi. Maybe a teaspoon. I just grab some with a fork and mix it in. I'm a poop checker, so as long as it's not to soft or they don't struggle to go we're good. I personally add either yogurt or pumpkin to their dinner.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not much pumpkin needed for a Chi. Maybe a teaspoon. I just grab some with a fork and mix it in. I'm a poop checker, so as long as it's not to soft or they don't struggle to go we're good. I personally add either yogurt or pumpkin to their dinner.
Thank you! I added a bit to her breakfast and she loved it!!!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I was a vet tech for awhile so I do my kids as it is no big deal

·
Registered
946 Posts
As a raw feeder this is not an issue. But yes, fiber added to a commercial diet will be most helpful. Pumpkin is great...just a teaspoon. When I have to open a can I put it into ice cube trays and freeze, then transfer to a ziplock. That way it stays fresh and I always it available without waste.:)

BTW-- there are great you tube videos on expressing the glands too!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the vet expressed them, not sure if I'll do or not. The tech there will do for free!

She's on Stella's and Chewy's but just started so maybe it will help?? Freezing The pumpkin in ice cube trays then putting in bags sounds like good plan! I got some organic pumpkin for dogs at New Seasons today.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Paco is on Stella and Chewy's and has been for a year, and i still have to do the monthly express at the vet. I'm going to try the pumpkin as well, He also gets missing link vet formula which has 15% fiber so go figure.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paco is on Stella and Chewy's and has been for a year, and i still have to do the monthly express at the vet. I'm going to try the pumpkin as well, He also gets missing link vet formula which has 15% fiber so go figure.
Ok well I guess we will see lol! Vet said pumpkin or even Metamucil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a long hair female that just naturally scoots. I use beneful incredibites so what can I add to help her? I'm not sure if it's the food because my short-hair boy does just fine with it and has never scooted

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a long hair female that just naturally scoots. I use beneful incredibites so what can I add to help her? I'm not sure if it's the food because my short-hair boy does just fine with it and has never scooted
Some dogs need the anal glands expressed more often than other, especially if on a kibble food or low fiber food. I would first just try adding some pumpkin to the meal for added fiber and learning to express the glands yourself ( your vet can teach you and there are good you tube videos on the subject too).
If the scooting is not due to full anal sacs, then you might have a sensitivity to the food and need to change. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive tried to express the glands and she nips and yips so I leave it for the vet. I do know we have to trim the fur in her area or she tends to scoot more. I would try other foods if I can find it for about the same price. My wife is much more frugal with all things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts