Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I was just browsing through my fiance's Dachshunds for Dummies book (I have the Chi one :p ) and came to a section on grooming tips which mentioned the anal sacs. According to the book, "The anal sacs fill up with a thick, extremely smelly liquid that is usually drained when the dogs excrete feces. However, some lucky breeds, including many of the small breeds and our beloved Dachshunds, tend to develop impacted anal sacs. Have you ever seen your Dachshund dragging his rear around on your carpet? That's your first clue."

Well, Josie has ALWAYS dragged her butt around on the carpet; about 90% of the time, she's just gone #2 and the other 10% is just for fun I guess. Would that be my sign to have her sacs emptied (our local groomer does it)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
might be a good idea to have them emptied however ive noticed females especially have a tendency to butt drag, ive read that it could possible be a pleasurable sensation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Cooper drags his rear every time he comes in from going poop. When a dog has a bowel movement, the anal sacs empty (unless impacted) as the poop comes out. When Cooper comes in from doing #2, he drags his rear on the carpet for a moment or two... just cleaning himself off, I guess.

I would ask your vet if you're in the office in the next week or so - or call them if you're not - but unless she's doing it on a regular basis without having pooped, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
I wipe my dogs butts after they go poo, who wants that mess on my carpet :shock: :shock: plus they have hanger on-ers sometimes... :?

but hanger-on-ers or not they always have the "juice" so wiping also gets it off........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
KB mamma said:
I wipe my dogs butts after they go poo, who wants that mess on my carpet :shock: :shock: plus they have hanger on-ers sometimes... :?

but hanger-on-ers or not they always have the "juice" so wiping also gets it off........
OMG I do the same thing, I can't stand the hangers on or anything else like that on my floor, I figure that is why I am housetraining him in the first place. I often use the bag I clean his doodles up with to wipe his little hiney. It gets the job done clean enough and I think he would be uncomfortable if I didn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,363 Posts
Poco got an impacted one and it burst in the night before his vet appt. They cleaned it out and fixed him up and $200 later all was well :shock: I was just glad he was better but now I have the vet empty theirs when I take them in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cooper said:
I would ask your vet if you're in the office in the next week or so - or call them if you're not - but unless she's doing it on a regular basis without having pooped, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
She has an appointment with the vet in a couple of weeks to get her last set of shots. I'm not sure if that would be the best of times to have that done (she isn't too cooperative when it comes to needles :pale: . In fact, she gets quite angry and doesn't really want to be fooled with for a few hours afterward. I'll probably ask about it when I there, anyway. She used to do the butt drag quite a bit when I first brought her home, but now it's only every so often, and usually only after she goes #2. Thanks for the advice, though!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top