Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little monkey is seven years old. He's currently residing in Florida with my retired mother and father, as he's been for about three years now. He's always been a barker and a bit of a growler but nothing more than that. He's super lovable to both of my parents and my nieces and, up until recently, completely devoted to my mother (his chosen favorite person). In the past two months or so has fallen out of favor with him. He growls and snaps at her with no provocation (and has even bitten a couple of times), wont let her put the leash on him to go for walks or pet him when he's not in the mood. She's the only person he's been acting this way with. Not to say he wont jump up and sleep on her lap or give her love when he feels like it but his behavior is just so strange and it really hurts her feelings.

I won't lie and say he's not just a smidge spoiled. As a matter of fact, the entire household revolves around this 5.5 pound furball. But where is this aggression coming from and why towards the one person he used to love the most?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I will take a chance that people will think I'm crazy.... but has your mom had a complete physical lately? I'm wondering if she has some health condition that is causing the change in Monkey's personality/temperament. A friend of mine had a dog do the exact same thing... turns out her mom had a fast growing breast cancer. The dog knew something was wrong and reacted with aggression towards her. I know... weird. But just thought I'd pass that on. Dogs have a very very acute sense of smell. Maybe something is going on with your mom.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
wow Brody's mom knows so much about Dogs...
The only thing I can come up with is that there is a change in the routine of the household somehow...does your mum go out and leave him more than in the past--not that there is anything wrong with that--chi-s can be dramatic when left behind...;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, she has been doing a bit of travelling and he might be angry at her for leaving him. I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten over it already. She hasn't been away from him for more than a few hours in weeks! I know he likes his people around him at all times but can chi's really hold a grudge for that long?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm going to change my mind and say he is just being a brat. He is getting away with it which is also reinforcing his bad behavior. And yes, chi's have excellent memories. But to me it sounds like he is ruling the roost and if he doesn't like something being out of his usual routine, like your mom traveling, then he acts out. Spoiling a dog does them NO favors. It just creates a needy, nasty little terror. Would they put up with his behavior if he was 50 pounds instead of 5 pounds? Of course not.

Not sure if it's possible for your parents to get involved in re-training him or not. If so, they will probably need the help of a behaviorist. Otherwise, he will just continue to growl, snarl, and bite. Which is a huge liability and sad. For them, as well as for him. He needs doggy boot camp and to restructure his bad behavior. He can be rehabilitated, but it will take some work. I have no idea if your parents are up to the challenge or not.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great article PR punk skater!!! I agree 100%. You shouldn't allow a 5 pound dog to do what you wouldn't allow a 50 pound dog to do. Like I said, spoiling and coddling them does them no favors when it comes to bad behavior. I also agree with the article's comments on allowing dogs to sleep in bed with people. I know alot of us love to sleep with our dogs! (I do too!) But the dog earns the right by its behavior. It shouldn't be allowed to bully people by growling, nipping, barking, biting.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
He does sound like a bratty, spoiled Chi to me as well. Your mom should clamp down on that behavior because should something happen to her and your family can't or won't take him, he has a lower chance of being re-homed through a rescue. That's what i tell people who indulge their Chis to the point of aggression--you may like him this way, but I hope you know someone who will accept him if something happens to you.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I would also suggest taking him in and getting him checked over at a vet's. He may have a rotten tooth or a sprained back that is bothering him. Get him checked out to rule out pain first then look into behavioral issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Actually, she has been doing a bit of travelling and he might be angry at her for leaving him. I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten over it already. She hasn't been away from him for more than a few hours in weeks! I know he likes his people around him at all times but can chi's really hold a grudge for that long?
i actually think you are misinterpreting the situation, what think its that by leaving him, he became the pack leader and the house its now his territory, you guys are the followers and hes telling you what to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts