Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
oooo, i didnt know there was an "animal hoarding confessions" on animal planet??
ive got to check it out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Uh, let's remember that this is TV! Yes, the stories are heartbreaking, but they are supposed to be, and I'm sure the producers don't minimize anything. Sometimes they wind up just walking away and not doing anything about the hoarding. I'm all for "doing the right thing," but I think if it were my loved one and they were harming themselves, I'd just remove them and clean it all up. You don't let a child run loose and hurt himself and I wouldn't allow an adult to do it either. I'd only go so far with the talking and then I'd DO something. Getting them to let the animals go isn't going to happen most of the time. I would be afraid of a fire or something like that, a disease among the animals that would kill all of them. Then the hoarder would lose all of them very tragically and to me, it would be better to do it kindly and keep the hoarder and the animals safe. It's very sad!!

Jeanette

·
Registered
384 Posts
Uh, let's remember that this is TV! Yes, the stories are heartbreaking, but they are supposed to be, and I'm sure the producers don't minimize anything. Sometimes they wind up just walking away and not doing anything about the hoarding. I'm all for "doing the right thing," but I think if it were my loved one and they were harming themselves, I'd just remove them and clean it all up. You don't let a child run loose and hurt himself and I wouldn't allow an adult to do it either. I'd only go so far with the talking and then I'd DO something. Getting them to let the animals go isn't going to happen most of the time. I would be afraid of a fire or something like that, a disease among the animals that would kill all of them. Then the hoarder would lose all of them very tragically and to me, it would be better to do it kindly and keep the hoarder and the animals safe. It's very sad!!

Jeanette

awww :( that is crazy! i cant believe how some ppl try to keep and get everything they can. sometimes they just have to let go. :( and yes if there is a family member that knows then they should do something about it in the long run!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Go check out some of the things that happen to people after being on TV, like the Extreme Home Makeover show with Ty Pennington. It looks really great, but some of the people can't afford to live in the nice, big homes after they get them. Some go into foreclosure and some get abandoned, families get into big fights about them, etc. Like I said, remember it's TV!

Jeanette

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go check out some of the things that happen to people after being on TV, like the Extreme Home Makeover show with Ty Pennington. It looks really great, but some of the people can't afford to live in the nice, big homes after they get them. Some go into foreclosure and some get abandoned, families get into big fights about them, etc. Like I said, remember it's TV!

Jeanette

omg really! they go into foreclosure! thats really sad! my grandma likes that show. :confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
sad

omg really! they go into foreclosure! thats really sad! my grandma likes that show. :confused:
Yes, it's sad if you go on-line and follow up on the shows. One family of kids said the people who took them in apparently did it just to get on the TV show and treated them so badly they forced them out of the house after the show. The kids were young adults and were suing the two people who "took them in."

Just look at the huge houses they build with huge rooms and very high ceilings. Ordinary people couldn't afford the heating and air conditioning, much less people who are "down and out" like those on the show. All the extras they put in the houses are expensive to keep up, elevators, exercise/therapy equipment, new appliances, huge computer screens and in-house TV systems. I love the idea of the show and like it, but it isn't quite what it appears on the surface.

Jeanette

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, it's sad if you go on-line and follow up on the shows. One family of kids said the people who took them in apparently did it just to get on the TV show and treated them so badly they forced them out of the house after the show. The kids were young adults and were suing the two people who "took them in."

Just look at the huge houses they build with huge rooms and very high ceilings. Ordinary people couldn't afford the heating and air conditioning, much less people who are "down and out" like those on the show. All the extras they put in the houses are expensive to keep up, elevators, exercise/therapy equipment, new appliances, huge computer screens and in-house TV systems. I love the idea of the show and like it, but it isn't quite what it appears on the surface.

Jeanette

oh that is just terrible to take kids in my age probably just for tv!!!! that really grinds my gears!!!

and yes all of the fancy stuff is nice, but all just to charge. grrr! terrible!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I haven't seen this program as we don't get the "Animal Planet" channel but there was a terrible Chihuahua hoarding case in Philadelphia last summer.

(link not recommended for the weak of heart :()
Pet-Abuse.Com - Animal Abuse Case Details: Hoarding nearly 90 animals, two found dead - Philadelphia, PA (US)

I've lost track of some of the links but we found out about the case when we were looking to adopt last autumn (and got Zippy who was not related to this case). Philadelphia is somewhat local to us so many of the dogs ended up at nearby shelters and foster homes throughout Eastern PA and New Jersey and have apparently have found new, much happier homes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I haven't seen this program as we don't get the "Animal Planet" channel but there was a terrible Chihuahua hoarding case in Philadelphia last summer.

(link not recommended for the weak of heart :()
Pet-Abuse.Com - Animal Abuse Case Details: Hoarding nearly 90 animals, two found dead - Philadelphia, PA (US)

I've lost track of some of the links but we found out about the case when we were looking to adopt last autumn (and got Zippy who was not related to this case). Philadelphia is somewhat local to us so many of the dogs ended up at nearby shelters and foster homes throughout Eastern PA and New Jersey and have apparently have found new, much happier homes.

i saw the link, that is just terrible, heart breaking and im ver speechless. that woman is crazy, and god bless all of those dogs and cats out that home. what a shame. :foxes15:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've noticed they give plenty of advice on what other people should do about a hoarder. Not so much what to do if you are the hoarder yourself.
I wonder what resources there are for a hoarder to go and get help themselves if they were so inclined?. I think some of them do understand that they have a problem.

Trying to imagine what it's like to be a hoarder.
It's going to be embarrassing to ask for help for cleaning or they may lack to funds to hire people for cleaning. Have you ever had a messy house and been ashamed when other people come over?. Just imagine what that would be like if you were a hoarder.
Especially when most people might say "How can you live like this? or something far worse.

When they even attempt to put animals up for adoption, most people will not want to adopt unsocial and possibly sick companion animals.
There is going to be fear of people investigating them for cruelty charges. Which could happen more readily if they have people coming over to adopt animals or they have animals taken to a shelter or rescue group.

It would be frightening that other people will come over and take all their animals away when they have almost nothing else.
All this when the hoarder may have serious mental issues going on and health issues from the unhealthy living conditions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've noticed they give plenty of advice on what other people should do about a hoarder. Not so much what to do if you are the hoarder yourself.
I wonder what resources there are for a hoarder to go and get help themselves if they were so inclined?. I think some of them do understand that they have a problem.

Trying to imagine what it's like to be a hoarder.
It's going to be embarrassing to ask for help for cleaning or they may lack to funds to hire people for cleaning. Have you ever had a messy house and been ashamed when other people come over?. Just imagine what that would be like if you were a hoarder.
Especially when most people might say "How can you live like this? or something far worse.

When they even attempt to put animals up for adoption, most people will not want to adopt unsocial and possibly sick companion animals.
There is going to be fear of people investigating them for cruelty charges. Which could happen more readily if they have people coming over to adopt animals or they have animals taken to a shelter or rescue group.

It would be frightening that other people will come over and take all their animals away when they have almost nothing else.
All this when the hoarder may have serious mental issues going on and health issues from the unhealthy living conditions.

yes i feel really bad for the hoarders too, its a sick obsession and they probably dont know where to start.

as for the dirty house thing, i dont think hoarders really invite ppl over, maybe they just meet up somewhere???

·
Registered
70 Posts
The human psyche is about the most complicated thing on earth to try an understand, we are complexed creatures for sure. I'm a medical social worker who jobs takes her into the homes of clients on a daily basis and things I see sometime would absolutely floor most people. I have lots of clients who are hoarders or all sorts of things....including animals and generally by time the situation i brought to light it's already reached a point of critical; major health concerns, legal ramifications, etc. My education and background is not not medical, it's actually in psychology (Bio and behavioral psychology), and working with my clients who are hoarders tests and challenge every theory known to man. It makes me crazy when my co workers try to make people fit into these neat little boxes to prove or disprove something they learned in school 50 years ago.....people are not theories. In my experience 99% of the people who are hoarders have legitimate cause to be. I'm in no means condoning the behavior, but I am saying there are legitimate incidents that have occurred in theses people's lives that have not only driven them to this behavior, but has reinforced it over the years. When a person lacks basic coping skills or has been taught to cope with stressful situations in destructive ways, the outcomes are almost always something disturbing...hoarding is just one.

I agree with those of you who said "It's Television", and on some level it's pretty inhumane to take someone's tragedy and turn it into entertainment, but I have to say I'm guilty of watching some of them. The TV shows address the visual; what the person's home looks and smells like, never do they talk about the events that precipitated the behavior, but rather leave it open to interpretation and have the viewer to think that this person is "just crazy". For ratings they come in to do a quick "fix for TV" then leave the person swinging in the breeze after the show is over....no follow up, no aftercare, no anything in place to help the person continue to succeed on their own, it's really sad and on some level just plain MEAN.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I volunteer for a foster style rescue up here in alaska for mostly small breed dogs, she gets in a few larger ones, but its mostly chi's/shi tzuhs, things like that. My issue with this show is that everyones an expert now on hoarding. The person who runs this place is a bit too good at her job at placing foster pups with foster family's and she's lacking now in fosters. so she has the dogs with her. All the dogs are healthy, fed, nurtured, her house clean,and get adopted at great rates while finding great homes. She even has a cam on for 15 some odd hours a day into the house so you can watch and see the dogs. she hides nothing. but she gets backlash everytime this show is on. Most of us in the community know the truth, and blow it off, but its still silly.

Also people start putting odd limits on what is hoarding. A friend has ten chi's ( well 9 chi's and a pommy) All healthy, well trained, in a clean house. is that hoarding? the animals aren't in danger. another friend has 9 pugs ( did have ten, one passed sadly over christmas) again all healthy well adjusted dogs. I've been to both their houses and nothing made me thing its a bad thing or a bad place. but if i just mentioned them to someone watching these shows thats EXACTLY where they are gonna go. Like other people before me posted i wish they worked more with these people. to show what is appropriate, and what isn't. to figure out financially and physically what is appropriate. There are people that can have large ( as in amount) dog households and do it right. These shows tend to show people that you can have 2 dogs adn thats it.

I dunno maybe it doesn't make much sense, its sorta a rant LOL but ehhhh. But not going to lie, i watch them too. -_-

·
Registered
384 Posts
I volunteer for a foster style rescue up here in alaska for mostly small breed dogs, she gets in a few larger ones, but its mostly chi's/shi tzuhs, things like that. My issue with this show is that everyones an expert now on hoarding. The person who runs this place is a bit too good at her job at placing foster pups with foster family's and she's lacking now in fosters. so she has the dogs with her. All the dogs are healthy, fed, nurtured, her house clean,and get adopted at great rates while finding great homes. She even has a cam on for 15 some odd hours a day into the house so you can watch and see the dogs. she hides nothing. but she gets backlash everytime this show is on. Most of us in the community know the truth, and blow it off, but its still silly.

Also people start putting odd limits on what is hoarding. A friend has ten chi's ( well 9 chi's and a pommy) All healthy, well trained, in a clean house. is that hoarding? the animals aren't in danger. another friend has 9 pugs ( did have ten, one passed sadly over christmas) again all healthy well adjusted dogs. I've been to both their houses and nothing made me thing its a bad thing or a bad place. but if i just mentioned them to someone watching these shows thats EXACTLY where they are gonna go. Like other people before me posted i wish they worked more with these people. to show what is appropriate, and what isn't. to figure out financially and physically what is appropriate. There are people that can have large ( as in amount) dog households and do it right. These shows tend to show people that you can have 2 dogs adn thats it.

I dunno maybe it doesn't make much sense, its sorta a rant LOL but ehhhh. But not going to lie, i watch them too. -_-

no your friend isnt a hoarder. thats completely different. as long as people know shes taking care of her dogs then thats perfectly fine. i dont think she had to put cameras up just to prove a point. (mean ppl probably pushed her into doing so). but no i didnt say you can only have 2 dogs. anyone can have as many dogs as they want as long as they are being cared for properly. thats all :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
no your friend isnt a hoarder. thats completely different. as long as people know shes taking care of her dogs then thats perfectly fine. i dont think she had to put cameras up just to prove a point. (mean ppl probably pushed her into doing so). but no i didnt say you can only have 2 dogs. anyone can have as many dogs as they want as long as they are being cared for properly. thats all :D

no no, i wasn't accusing anyone here of this stuff. just saying in general that it seems to make everyone an expert lol. just kinda replaying my experience last season with the show. I didn't mean to sound like i was refering to anything lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
hoarding

The human psyche is about the most complicated thing on earth to try an understand, we are complexed creatures for sure. I'm a medical social worker who jobs takes her into the homes of clients on a daily basis and things I see sometime would absolutely floor most people. I have lots of clients who are hoarders or all sorts of things....including animals and generally by time the situation i brought to light it's already reached a point of critical; major health concerns, legal ramifications, etc. My education and background is not not medical, it's actually in psychology (Bio and behavioral psychology), and working with my clients who are hoarders tests and challenge every theory known to man. It makes me crazy when my co workers try to make people fit into these neat little boxes to prove or disprove something they learned in school 50 years ago.....people are not theories. In my experience 99% of the people who are hoarders have legitimate cause to be. I'm in no means condoning the behavior, but I am saying there are legitimate incidents that have occurred in theses people's lives that have not only driven them to this behavior, but has reinforced it over the years. When a person lacks basic coping skills or has been taught to cope with stressful situations in destructive ways, the outcomes are almost always something disturbing...hoarding is just one.

I agree with those of you who said "It's Television", and on some level it's pretty inhumane to take someone's tragedy and turn it into entertainment, but I have to say I'm guilty of watching some of them. The TV shows address the visual; what the person's home looks and smells like, never do they talk about the events that precipitated the behavior, but rather leave it open to interpretation and have the viewer to think that this person is "just crazy". For ratings they come in to do a quick "fix for TV" then leave the person swinging in the breeze after the show is over....no follow up, no aftercare, no anything in place to help the person continue to succeed on their own, it's really sad and on some level just plain MEAN.
All good thoughts. I'm sure these people are much more complicated than they appear to be and it certainly isn't a simple matter of removing the animals and cleaning up the home. They need help to address whatever made them hoard in the first place. It would be good if some family members saw the problem in the beginning and didn't let it progress to hoarding. When my younger son told me he was getting a divorce a few years ago, the first thing I did was go out and adopt a puppy mill dog. It was a direct response to the distress of his divorce. I already had two dogs and certainly didn't need another one, but a puppy mill dog required a lot of attention, caring, figuring out, things to keep me very busy and engaged. Sadly, the little dog had a genetic problem and had to be put to sleep when she was only two years old. I loved her very much and gave her the best life possible. So I know how hoarding can start. I love dogs and it would be very easy to start taking them in. I don't do it, but I can understand it.

Jeanette

1 - 20 of 27 Posts