Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Gizmo out in my purse today...it's a sack/purse and he fits just fine in it so that he can put his arms on the edge but not jump out...

anyway we;re at TJMAXX...I'm looking for appropriate "teacher attire" when an annoying blonde snooty (beep) comes by and says...ohhhh how precious.. is that a chihuahua? So I said yup...thats my baby....

So she comes over to him and says...I want one too...but not that big...

:shock:

Soooo I laughed and said...well how big do you want it? He weighs 5 pounds. SO she laughed and said...I want a 2 pounder...something tiny to stick in my little bag. SO I said "Gosh I hope you never find a chihuahua like that because if he gets bigger than 2 pounds what will you do?"

So she rolled her eyes and said "I know a breeder that guarantees the pups won't grow over 3 pounds."

SO I said "Well, as I said before I hope to GOD you never find that puppy because I will feel so sorry that YOU will be his owner, ignorant people!" I walked out of the store and fumed in my car...

I usually don't let people get to me that are stupid like that...but I am so stressed/nervous about this teaching job....so I'm on edge..

But it's not her fault completely...the media plays a big role in over marketing these tiny tiny chi's...so everyone automatically thinks that's what their gonna get....the shelters here are filled with chihuahuas....it's so sad

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How rude!!
I'm sorry but no matter what the media portray I think she shouldn't have said "but not that big". I would NEVER say that to a complete stranger while complimenting their dog, how insensitive.

I agree I hope she never gets a Chi, nobody should buy a puppy from people who garauntee a small weight. Fair enough if they say "garauntee'd below 6lbs" because that's the breed standard, but 3lbs is very small and only people with experience and the money for potential vet bills should own very small fragile dogs.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, but in a way, you probably did the girl a favor!! She needed to know the facts from an owner, and also get a metaphorical kick up the hiney for being so rude :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I just hate that. When people question Cooper's "legitimacy" as a chihuahua because of his size, I try to tell them the same thing - they come in different sizes, different looks to the bodies, etc.

It always seems to fall on deaf ears for some reason. It's almost as if they are Chihuahua experts and I'm just a chick that picked up an inferior dog from a shady breeder. I am starting to not worry about it anymore though; there are ignorant people in the world and if they want to be ignorant, then let them. Plus, I have Cooper and they don't so I win, regardless if they're wrong or right.

In your case though, it's unfortunate but it's the dog that pays the price. A dog guaranteed to be a certain weight can't control it's growth. If it ends up in a shelter after "outgrowing" it's guarantee, then it's probably better off in the long run. And what if it gets to 2.5 lbs and they stop feeding it to get it back down to it's "promised" weight? The thought of that just makes me sick.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
So she rolled her eyes and said "I know a breeder that guarantees the pups won't grow over 3 pounds."
And how exactly would a breeder be able to offer that kind of guarantee???? That's just pure stupidity. :x

Yeah, Gizmo's a real giant at 5 pounds. He's just slightly bigger than Lily so I can picture him quite well. Simply enormous. :roll:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Plus, I have Cooper and they don't so I win, regardless if they're wrong or right.
:lol: I love that hehe!

I would be perfectly happy if Lexi was 5-6lbs at her adult weight. She's estimated at around 4lbs but I'll love her regardless of her weight.

I think when people get so caught up and obsessed with how small they want their puppy, it shows their real reason behind getting one :roll:

The Chihuahua breed is the smallest breed in the world!!
The only people who should be looking for a tiny Chi, are breeders wanting a small male stud dog to breed with a bigger female.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I cant belive people that talk like that , it just shows how ignorant they are really . I mean a chi (even the bigger ones) are not exactly big!! :roll:

Tyson is 4lbs and i carry him around fine , and if you put him near any other dogs he looks like a tiny mouse.

I think these people are very shallow and not really worried about the dog being happy and healthy :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Some people need to be slapped....

I had a dream last night that I was carring Gadget through a mall and my back hurt.. So I went into a store and weighed him and the scale said 20 pounds... man I hope I never have that dream again...

I love carrying him around.. he is so cute and tiny... He sits right in my hand... people always ask if he is full grown .. I say nope he;s just a baby...

·
Registered
86 Posts
How small do she want it to be she wants a hamster people don't know that there size is already determine before birth i was told Artie would be 4 to 6 pounds he is 8 mos and is 8 pounds :lol: pretty soon they will try to breed chis smaller and smaller so when the 8 pounder pops out they will say ooh he is a rare chi and he cost more :evil:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
shakes head...some poeple just need beating with a stick...a big one...

even 10lbs is TINY when it comes down to things they can and cat do...doubt that woman realizes that a 3lb chihuahua will need lifting on and off the bed and couches unless she gets a ramp for each place she is...shell have to carry the poor little thing up and down stairs vixie wont even attempt the down stairs) the medical bills incured with such a tiny dog...the risk that if that dog jumps form your arms its more likely to realy hurt itslef than a 5lb chi...
people like that have no clue about the breed, hell they probably have no clue about dogs or animals in general.
all they want is a little fashion statment and they seem to foget that this 'fashion statment' is gonna grow, is gonna eat, is gonna play, is gonna POOP! its gonna be like having a realy tiny 2 yr old for the next 15 years...its alright saying i want one that fits in my purse but do they realize that these dogs do have legs, they can stand up..infact they enjoy standing up...and running and playing, and they wont enjoy being locked in a purse for 8hrs while ya wander round a mall...

*grumble*
stupid peoples!

ok im done...

wow you get to take him in stores with you!?
must be connecticut then, they wont let me take vixie in ANY of the stores...id understnad if there were food items, but we got asked to leave home depot because i had her with me...she was off the ground out of the way and hiding in my jacket and they still told me no dogs allowed...
oh well im moving out of this state first chance i get...or at least out of the danbury brookfeild area...its full of people like that and places that want to be a bitch about anything and everythign.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i took spoiled brat oops i mean chiwi to the petstore yesterday to get a new toy and i counted the compliments and the yuk comment and looked at who each comment was from. then i started thinking about all my outings with brat i mean chiwi....here's what i found:

kids LOVE her! mostly little girls. a few boys said she was cute but weren't too interested. and kids(mainly girls)up to about 13,14 are always oohing and ahhing over her.

older women and men (40's and up) smile and always want to pet her! i found the older the man the more they smile at her lol.

now my peers and younger (to about 16ish) have little comments to say, mainly snobby girls try to do the paris hilton comment toward me and the guys they make the "real dog" comment. but it's mainly the girls that have crap to say. usually with the guys i say ooooo heeey she's cute and they usually smile and say yeah she is and they pet her ;) so they are just trying to be the "tough guy big dog type" and a lot of the time the girls are snotty and make comments when they are with other girls. but in life i've found women to be more vindictive and nasty towards me. bunch of haters is all ;)

oh and if you were wondering i had 35 people say something to me in about 1 1/2 hours, out of the 35 things said only 2 of them were rude. one was a "ew ugly little dog" and the other thing was more toward me then chiwi "does she think she's paris or something" to the ugly little dog comment i said wow my dog thinks the same of you. and the other comment i said not exactly for one i have a long hair and for 2 if i wanted to be like paris i'd have my hair dyed and i don't exactly have the right body shape for being her...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
What concerns me that most people don't think about when choosing an "accessory" chi is surgery, whether the dog's being neutered or needs surgery in general. They're so small, even Cooper at 10 lbs, and anesthesia has the potential of being a life-threatening or life-ending thing.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
oh and i wanted to say there ws this girl that worked at the kennel in the annimal hospital and she was one of those girly girls that wanted a chi (this was before i even had chiwi) and this was her first kennel job. well after a few days she decided that she couldn't handle cleaning poop and that was the end of her getting a dog and working there lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chi and their sizes

My Dobbie is 10# of love and affection. Even at 10#, I worry about him jumping and running like they do. If he was 3#, I'd be afraid to pick him up.

I can't imagine someone wanting a "small Chi"

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
How could anyone want a dog as an accessory. It's crazy. I hope she never finds one because she sounds like she would be a terrible person to have a dog :(

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I've never really gotten any comments like that here where I live. Everyone here has nice things to say about Britney (in front of me)...but also a majority of the dog population, in My opinion, here are big dogs that always bark and don't shut up!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget is 4 1/2 pounds and it scares me when he thinks he can jump off stuff that is too high... He also does this zoomie thing on our bed and half the time i am afraid that he is goign to land right smack on the floor.. but he amazingly stops just shy of the edge of the bed...

He trys to jump our of the truck... which I don't let him beause he is just to small... it is too high for him...

The 2 times Amanda stepped on him... Thank god he was ok.. but it scared me so bad the second time all I could do is sit on the floor and cry.... as he is sitting in my arms licking my tears...

What is she thinking that a 2 pound dog is better.. I think that if she does get a dog that dog will be gone as soon at it hits 2 pounds 1 ounce.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only annoying comment I get are from guy friends; "OH! It's an oversized rat!"

AS if I haven't heard that 80 times before, brilliant, guys! Guffaw, guffaw! :roll:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts