Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You might want to try a little "Children Benadryl". I give it to Bruiser for his allergies. It makes him very relaxed, but his safe. You might want to call and ask your Vet. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You can give dogs dramamine for carsickness - 2-3 mg per pound, 3 times a day. Benedryl is 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours. Those are the only two human meds you can give for that situation. (Per The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats)

Ace (acepromazine) will knock the animal out, so will any other meds the doctor prescribes. OmaKitty has been prescribed every single thing out there for her carsickness and nothing worked (not even Ace) but she's a special case since she resists any medication you try to give her.

There are other natural pet calming medications you can buy over the counter that won't put the pet to sleep or cause them to be out of it, including Rescue Remedy which I've had no luck with but others swear by. Healthy Companion makes a "calming" treat for anxious times, etc. and there are a few other brands that boast the same claims. I can't vouch for products like that because I haven't tried them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Is a health certificate something new? American Airlines did not require one when I took Tia with me a couple of times last year. Just curious, as I will probably be flying to Texas sometime soon.

I was concerned about Tia last year when we flew, especially since she was always very nervous around strangers anyway. But because of her heart condition and other health issues, the vet was very reluctant about any type of calming or sedative medication. So, I just crossed my fingers and said a little prayer and she did wonderfully. In fact, she slept almost the whole flight. The only time she got a little stressed was when we were waiting at the luggage carousel and there were a couple of rowdy kids right next to us. They were terrorizing everyone close by, while the parents just stood there and smiled as though they were the cutest things ever. :banghead:

I'm just hoping Jazzy will do as well. Will probably ask the vet for something to calm her just in case.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as far as I knew they required a health check. With America west , they have to inspect his carrier, rabies, and health check certificate before bording. My biggest worry is that he might whine in the carrier . I dont want him to get denied boarding...

Im a worry wart. I think everything will be fine though. I doubt they will have too many pets on that flight as of right now he is the only one....

He could get denied ,if he barked to much, yelped, stinks or anything under the sun its seems.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
When we fly with Auggie i try to make sure he does not get much napping before we leave and he has slept almost the entire flight. As some one else said the worst time is walking around the airport :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie doesn't like being in his carrier when we are walking around. He thinks he should be out among the people :D I also cover his carrier on 3 sides with a blankie except for the side facing me and he sleeps :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I brought my baby home from Mexico to New Jersey [thats about a 7 hour plane trip], and we flew Continental. We just put him under the seat with a toy and a chew stick--and he fell right asleep for the whole trip!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts