Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
So glad the little guy wasn't hurt. Mine can never be off leash,for that reason alone. Hubby watched while an osprey scooped up a squirrel just a few feet from him. It's scary. Unfortunately, it's common enough here that no one laughs at me for worrying about it.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owls are silent, you cannot see or hear them coming. Birds of prey can lift up to 15 lbs so thats cats and dogs as well. They are very brazen, I had one come after Yoshi with me, my huge great dane at the time and our Weim standing right there over him. If I wouldnt have seen a shadow and scooped him up then it would have been a different story. Came within 6 feet of grabbing him. I know several people who have had them grab theirs while walking them on a leash, they pulled them back and 2 did not make it because of the talons puncturing them and then the Yorkie had a jacket on so the talons did not go in deep enough to kill her but she was hospitalized for a bit. Those were 3 different incidents. Also Kay one of the mods here lost one of her Chihuahuas to a coyote when her teenage daughter took her out to potty. You can never be to careful. Years ago I talked to a telephone repairman and he told me that they would find nests with cat and dog collars in them :-(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't think your little ones are safe even if they are leashed, especially with larger birds, we were walking on a pier where there were pelicans, our chis had been left in our camper, a lady in front of us was walking her little chi with a collar and a bright red lead. Imagine everyone's horror when a pelican sitting on a rail, suddenly dived down, snapped up the little chi and took off and flew away with the little red lead hanging out from its beak. It's owner just fainted and we were so relieved our babies had been left in our van! Since then I have always carried my chis when large birds are around. I have seen a min pin attacked by an eagle, and seen a pelican grab a pigeon minding it's own business eating some bread. Please always be on your guard when wildlife is around!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I had no clue pelicans were meat eaters! Thought they ate fish. Wow! Glad you posted this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I had no clue pelicans were meat eaters! Thought they ate fish. Wow! Glad you posted this. Thanks!
I've seen them eat pretty big birds so it doesn't suprise me! Also a lot of any kind of bird together like pelicans will get on a dock can get scarry. I would avoid a flock of pelicans or geese even with a big dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts