Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here i am looking at new litters and thinking how great, yada yada yada. But what does little miss ornery leila do :angel12:tonight??? She PEED ON ME!!!!!!!!!! OMG:foxes15: I seriously wanted to string her up by her toenails:cussing: I sat down on the floor and called her over to me and she ran over got up on my leg and squatted and peeeeeeeeedddddddd :cussing: :foxes15: . WHAT IN THE HECK IS WRONG WITH HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? Needless to say i had a big mess to clean up and had to change clothes, etc. Then her little BUTT went back in her pen. I am thinking less freedom for her now. :( which saddens me, but dangit my carpets can NOT handle anymore. If i didn't love her so much...... grrrr!!!!! :angry5: :evil5: :angryfire: :evil2:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I will be honest and say with Oakley she's just NEVER quite gotten being potty trained, and IMO she never will...she is now 16 months old and just the concept of holding it when she has to go is completely foreign to her. We will be ripping up any carpet in the house we buy and replacing it with ceramic tile or wood...lol better than having a room that smells like pee no matter what you do, like our livingroom does. It embarasses me haha, so I feel your pain...

What if you started her potty training back at square one -- crating for 10 min after meals, straight outside. Straight outside in the am, after meals, etc.? This is the route we are going to do to retrain all our dogs to be outside potty dogs once we buy our house...

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to go that route, like i said she is getting less freedom. I just can't figure it out. When she is in her pen, she will use the potty pad but she can hold it all night long.:confused: and then i take her out first thing in the morning and many times during the day and she potties every single time. But if she is loose in the house and has to go, she just does it wherever she is. Apparently walking back to the potty pad is not an option.:mad: I am wondering how to teach her to come and get me when she wants out like my other dogs do. I dont' have a clue what to do.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I dunno...Chis are the hardest dogs to potty train from everything I've read, lol. I blame Oakley's lack of training (she is pretty good though, and the boys are great), on the fact that I work, so I have never been able to be with her all day to teach her to go out. She does walk to the door when she needs to go most of the time, but other times she just...can't be bothered. I put a word to it, of course -- OUTSIDE, and she knows darn well what that she means. She just doesn't remember, so i really don't know what I did wrong...the boys use their potty pad 100% of the time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree, maybe try starting over from scratch. We just recently decided to use our pet loo only, instead of using pee pads indoors as well. Our ChiChi has picked up on this excellently, and we have not had him cock a leg on anything in the house since he's been solely going outside on the balcony. Prada, on the other hand.... STILL uses my bedroom carpet as her own personal pee pad.

We rent, and I am having it cleaned this weekend, professionally!! She hops outside no problem, and will take a very long pee in the morning on it, and will usually go poop. But during the rest of the day, she still insists on pooping and taking a squat in my bedroom. They are let out often, infact, weather permitting, the door is usually left open just enough for them to get in and out.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never had problems potty training like this. It is very frustrating. :( I Know she CAN hold it. And i try to be very careful to take her out often. I can tell she much prefers going outside to the potty pad because she really doesn't use it much when she's in the pen. Looks like i'm gonna be doing some shoveling snow this winter ;) I am curious how she will like the cold snow on her feet. she doesn't mind the rain and wet grass.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I try not to use the fact that they hold it all night as a measure. Its totally different. I can't think of the last time I went 8-9 hrs during the day without peeing, LOL. And their bladder is like the size of a water balloon un-inflated, so it makes sense to me that they have to go quite often. Leila is still really young, too, you have to remember that. Oakley can wait 3 hours, but after that, she's peein' in the house. I just accept it as part of having young chis.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fiddle has peeing down pat! But only in my bed room and the pen area. She used the pp pad or news paper to go. even during the night!

But when im downstairs watching TV the rug on the floor is her target and as hard as I try she keeps it up. I need to get it steamed cleaned or something. Then i will start again with being a meanie mum

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
apparently so :( but.. lucy is part chi and she's only like 16 lbs. so she's not BIG, but not as little or as young as leila. ahh, hopefully things get better. I am going to hang a bell on the door. lol I used to do that and trained one of my dogs to ring it when she needed to go out. Unfortunately winston rang it too and clawed all the paint off the door.:banghead: never a dull moment. lol

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I know how you feel, I was ready to string Zoey up by her toe nails for a good majority of her puppy hood, it wasn't until we discovered she had hydrocephalus (at 18 months) & moved to a new house that it finally clicked with her. Now she's not 100% reliable by any means, but as long as there is newspaper or potty pad in the room she's at she does great. I don't know why all the sudden it clicked with her but it did. So we just have tons of potty pads around the house for her to go potty on. My special kitty Mini Dee has started to use them too lol. She has cerebral hypoplasia. I use the tether method a lot with my dogs, meaning they are tied to me with a leash if they are out & about until they are reliable. Small dogs are definitely different, my golden retriever will hold it for up to 48 hours (and has before) she went through a phase where she would only pee at my work and since I work Saturdays, and have some Sundays off, and Mondays off...it was a long time before she went potty again.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Here i am looking at new litters and thinking how great, yada yada yada. But what does little miss ornery leila do :angel12:tonight??? She PEED ON ME!!!!!!!!!! OMG:foxes15:
Oh NO... :( Miss Leila.

I will be honest and say with Oakley she's just NEVER quite gotten being potty trained, and IMO she never will...she is now 16 months old and just the concept of holding it when she has to go is completely foreign to her. We will be ripping up any carpet in the house we buy and replacing it with ceramic tile or wood...lol better than having a room that smells like pee no matter what you do, like our livingroom does. It embarasses me haha, so I feel your pain...

What if you started her potty training back at square one -- crating for 10 min after meals, straight outside. Straight outside in the am, after meals, etc.? This is the route we are going to do to retrain all our dogs to be outside potty dogs once we buy our house...
I am having major issues with AJ lately as well, he was great as a pup, but somehow moving has totally messed with his routine and now he will do it anywhere. Thankfully since the new guy is here I have them gated off in a large pen area in my living room, he watches the new guy pee and poop like clockwork on the pee pads, and what does he do? walks over beside it and pees. :foxes15:

My oldest dog is trained to go outside on the terrace, I send AJ out there with him! what happens? NOTHING :rolleyes:

I dunno...Chis are the hardest dogs to potty train from everything I've read, lol. I blame Oakley's lack of training (she is pretty good though, and the boys are great), on the fact that I work,
I've read the same things and coming from Poodles? good god there is a massive difference.
Don't blame yourself, I am home all day long and I follow him around and watch him like a hawk and he is still not getting it.

I have never had problems potty training like this. It is very frustrating. :( I Know she CAN hold it. And i try to be very careful to take her out often. I can tell she much prefers going outside to the potty pad because she really doesn't use it much when she's in the pen. Looks like i'm gonna be doing some shoveling snow this winter ;) I am curious how she will like the cold snow on her feet. she doesn't mind the rain and wet grass.
I think it's confusing as well, I was prepared for major problems with the new dog and surprise surprise he is a little prince, he has not had a single accident in 5 days. :hello1: I have no idea what the difference is.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Oh man peeing on you that is naughty!!

I have been lucky with my 3, even Dillon is good on the pads.
He wasnt right away, but now knows where to go.
Even if he is playing in the hall with the other 2 he goes into the bedroom where pads are and does a pee bless him.
I always lifted him when i saw him starting, even if that meant a dribble all the way to the pads. haha!!
I think some just take a bit longer than others.
Some even go back the way at certain times, then go back to normal. lol

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
my last chi was trained to ring a bell(hung at his level at the door).... I could hear the bell thruout the house and would let him out.....it worked well...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna disagree with everyone here and say that this is NOT a housebreaking issue but a SUBMISSIVE URINATION issue.

Leila is very soft, meaning she's very sensitive. When you called her over and she crawled up in your lap - she didn't just deliberately squat and pee because she felt like peeing on you. I would guess the urine just flowed out as she got up in your lap. This is a sign of submission. Of saying "you are the boss of me". It is dog language for "I won't hurt you. I know you are the alpha leader."

Your reaction of jumping up and probably being very angry and banning her to her pen just reinforced EXACTLY what she thought - you are God and she is a peon. She was RIGHT to pee when she saw you. Because you are everything and she is nothing. This is how a submissive dog thinks.

She likely has NO idea that her peeing on you was wrong. I know that submissive urination has been a problem for her in the past and it sounds like it is escalating. Being mad, putting her in time out, yelling, etc. will NOT help this behavior. It does the opposite actually. It makes submissive behavior WORSE.

I suggest you look at articles on submissive urination and submissive, soft omega dogs. You may need to consult with a good behaviorist to help you work through this problem. But I firmly believe this has NOTHING to do with housebreaking.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Definitely start back to square one. Keep her crated or penned unless your eyes are able to be on her AT ALL TIMES. The only way she will know NOT to pee in the house is if catch & correct the behavior EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm not hollering...just stressing those points. LOL

I've found our Chi's incredibly easy to house break. Sure, we've had kinks along the way whether it had to do with puppy adolescents, marking because of not being neutered (MARLEY) and Maya being new & needing to learn the doggy door (and that rain in fact won't make her melt!). But as puppies all mine were super easy to train. I think the longest took about to the age of 14 weeks to get the idea down pat & use the doggy door themselves.

I truely think I have my schedule & keen eye to thank. I was able to be here during the day to watch, catch & correct any mistakes. When you work or aren't able to put in a lot of time...it takes that much longer. When I did catch anyone pottying inside, while it was sometimes frustating (especially when Milo peed on me once LOL), every "accident" you catch try to view it as a positive. Because that is one time you were able to correct the behavior & one step you're closer to remedying it!

Can I ask what you did when she peed on you? Idealy you'd want to verbally correct & immediately take her directly outside. If she then goes...praise like crazy! But if I was you, and I've been in that situation with Maya since she's been a bit more difficult, I'd crate her or pen her at all times. Just let her out to potty & back in. When you're able to have all eyes on her - let her out in the house. But in these times it's imparative that you do keep your eyes on her so you can catch the accidents. When she starts to squat. Clap really loud, say no & take her outside & say "outside pee pee" or whatever it us you say for a key word.

I don't know, maybe I've been lucky, maybe I'm just super anal or maybe all the above. But I've found my Chi's easy to house break for the most part. The marking craziness we went through with Marley...even though that was a PITA that was more behavioral than house breaking.

Good luck with working on Leila. Hopefully she soon realizes peeing inside is a NO NO! :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tracy, I just don't get it. She sits on my lap all the time and i pick her up alot. She has been improving, as far as my picking her up and her not peeing a little. But having said that, if i have her loose in the house and dont' take her out in time, she will pee on the floor and occasionally poop. Even though her potty pad is accessible.
I do think she was excited when she got on my lap and that's probably what caused it.
Obviously i did get up quick and told her "no", ran to the kitchen for paper towels. She didn't get put back into her pen though for at least 5 minutes, as i was cleaning up the mess. So she should not relate that to her "incident"

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree with Tracey it's submissive urination at over 6 months unless she had an infection she would not pee on you I wouldn't expect a dog over 8 weeks to pee on a human!! I think you should look into this there was a thread on here on it!! I know you love her and u come across like a very excitable person which will make it worse you have to ignore her!! Getting angry and penning her just reinforces she is a servant :(

With regards to going round the house she's hitting adolescence and they forget I had to remind daisy that she gies in the garden she's fine now!!!

Also she's not spayed yet is she? (btw have u booke her in or gonna get the boxer done before?? He will kill her if she goes into heat) they mark when they are going into season I'm not sure whether those who are predominantly potty pad trained would mark in the house?? I know they mark outside so they can let the boys know they'll be waiting for them!!

It can be confusing having 2 places to go :)

I've not had problems with either of my girls lotus has mega holding power at 12 weeks se was going every 3 hours

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heather, i probably answered most of your ?'s in the above post. In this situation, I had urine running down my leg so i didn't take her out right away, and it was late. I had just taken her out though maybe 1 1/2-2 hrs before this. So totally unexpected. When i have caught her in the act in the past, saying NO and sitting her immediately on her pad, she continued to let it flow :rolleyes: during the move. I try to be careful with her being seemingly so sensitive, it's hard.
When she potties outside, and she does great...I ALWAYS ALWAYS praise her. It's just a natural response. I have trained many a dog and she is by FAR the toughest so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts