Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Daisy is going to be 6 months this weekend and Remy the following weekend. After Daisy's tummy troubles from changing her to Burns from IAMs I am a little worried about changing her agian. I want to get her onto a better food than IAMs and was looking at royal canin... Now should I leave her till she is a little older and then change it or should I start to gradually change it now?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Royal Canin is okay but not the best food. Have you thought about trying Orijen or Acana? They are grain free and one of the best kibbles around. I guess you could change her over now, or if your going to feed her adult food then wait untill shes a bit older and then make the transition x

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You could also try Evo Innova. It's grain free also and a very high quality kibble. If you change gradually enough, you should be OK. Just a few of the new kibble in her food at a time, wait several days and see what happens, then a little more etc. If she's had food issues before, then they key is a VERY gradual transition, no matter what age she is when you do it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could also try Ziwi Peak and I agree with Tink do a very gradual transition if she's had food issues before.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I would say Burns is a far better food than Royal canin.
I went from RC to Burns.
Although my girls have been acting funny with food the past few days.
Moistening it has helped now though. lol

I have a bag of Acana too, and the kibble is really large, so that was why i went with burns instead.
Darla struggles with it for the size, Daisy is ok.
I may still slowly try to change them onto the Acana, but for now am happy with Burns.
All dogs are different mind you, but i would say RC is a step down, better than IAMS though.
My 2 poos are small and firm on the burns and they dont smell like when they were on the RC.
That food is very greasy and on it their poos were large, which says they werent getting all the goodness they needed. Just my opinion of course.
We dont have a lot of the foods that the US gets, so i know it's hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts