Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate everyone patience schooling me. Our Hope's parents are both cream short coats and she is as well but of course she had brothers and sisters of every kind. That was so odd to me. I never knew that happened.

How do you know or how soon do you know if they are short or long coat?

Here are a couple of pictures of some puppies.
I think this one is short haired:

and this one long:

Am I correct? Looking at Mari's pups (I want them all) and these girls a few weeks ago it was impossible for me to tell. In my newness, they all looked the same (precious, but the same).

How do you know or tell at birth or shortly after? Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It comes down to genetics

2 x longcoat parents can only produce long coat pups as the long coat is the recessive gene

2 x smooth coat parents can produce smooths and longs if both parents carry the lc gene

1x long and 1 x smooth parents can produce either I'd the smooth has the lc gene too

Top pup is deffo a smooth, bottom it's hard to tell it could just be a smooth with a thicker coat The pic isn't that clear on my phine

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
So Mari's pups who look like sc's so newborn will be lc's because both mom and dad are.
I appreciate your answer. In my not knowing, they look the same to me!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can't tell with most til they are a few weeks old...lots and lots of breeders will say they have a trick to it but usually they need to be I think around 2 weeks old to start to know for sure :)

Like Sarah said, LC to LC = all LC litter 99% of the time

SC to LC = mix of pups

SC to SC = mix of pups :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes all maris boys will be long cots it's impossible for there to be a smooth in there!

We aren't allowed to register puppies from a mixed coat mating here it's against kc rules :roll: but if a long pops out of a smooth litter we can :)

My girl has smooths in her pedigree because she's from Italian lines :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yes all maris boys will be long cots it's impossible for there to be a smooth in there!

We aren't allowed to register puppies from a mixed coat mating here it's against kc rules :roll: but if a long pops out of a smooth litter we can :)

My girl has smooths in her pedigree because she's from Italian lines :)
Not impossible, from what I have read?? about 1 in every 100 LC to LC litters is a smooth! I didn't believe it either but I guess it CAN happen??? Genetics have to be just so, tho.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not impossible, from what I have read?? about 1 in every 100 LC to LC litters is a smooth! I didn't believe it either but I guess it CAN happen??? Genetics have to be just so, tho.
Really??????? Everything I've read says as it's a recessive gene as longs only carry the recessive one try CANNOT produce a smooth??? that's mashed up I'd be pissed if a smooth popped out!!! So a 1% chance I gotta go looking now it's gonna bug me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts