Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

A little about why I am here. Its really really sad, but it will help you understand me better. I have always wanted to own a chi. I surfed AKC registered breeders websites time and time again looking them over and seeing if I liked what they were doing. Chi's are not cheap and I also wanted to make sure that I had the resources, temperament, and resolve to be a responsible Chi owner.

I was at Petsmart a week ago getting treats for my cats, when I found an emaciated long hair Chi. I know that Im not supposed to go up to a strange dog on the street but she was just laying there near a concrete pylon the look on her face was utterly pathetic. I got some water inside and brought it out to her. Water is of course very important for animals but it was 108 degrees outside and we have people passing out from heat exhaustion. So it doesnt surprise me that she was very weak.

I took her to the vet and they gave her IV fluids. They also told me that she had whelped about 5 weeks ago. Apparently people around here have been breeding their animals and throwing the bitch out after they get to a point that they can bottle feed the puppies. Talk about utterly cruel! :foxes15:

Our no kill shelters are at capacity, have been for a long time apparently. They asked if I wanted to foster her, I said no... that if things were so hard up, I just wanted to keep her. She deserves to have a forever home and feel loved and supported right now. The idea that someone threw her out like garbage was appalling to me, and the amount of hurt she had to be feeling right now was probably too much for my heart to imagine.

She isnt spayed yet, the vet said we have to wait about another week for her fluids to be up enough to heal from the surgery, but we already have an appointment scheduled so she will be soon, once her strength is up. I have no idea if she is a purebreed or not, but it doesnt matter because I opened my heart to her.

So if any of you can guide me to being the best chi-mamma I can be, I would greatly appreciate it. This sweet girl deserves the best of the best! Thank you!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Amy, you did a wonderful thing by helping this poor sweet girl. I'm so proud of
you, and am very happy you decided to keep her. Welcome to the forum, please
don't hesitate to ask any questions or concerns you might have, this is a very
friendly and helpful community, I'm hoping you'll enjoy your time here and find it
helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
heartbreaking how people treat animals, what you did is awesome...welcome to you both!!!
does your princess have a name??? or a photo, we LOVE pictures !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! Shes doing better and better each day. Only problems are that shes a little depressed and her nails are very unkempt. Shes being totally spoiled right now. She sleeps in bed with my husband and I.

She also appears to have adopted my kitten, they cuddle all the time but she gets frustrated when she tries to make him nurse and he wont lol, but the vet said this could be a good thing to help her get over losing her litter she will have someone to look after and care for.

Here are a couple pictures I took of her today. Shes still really skinny, but we dont want her to gain too much too fast. She doesnt quite know what to do with herself for the camera so they are a bit out of focus, but she will learn!

Her name is Miyu
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/Heavenshade18/IMG_0800_zps1284209c.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/Heavenshade18/IMG_0801_zpsa2acabb6.jpg

·
Registered
945 Posts
What a moving story, but it sounds as if the result is a happy ending for you both. Just as with human relationships, you have to be open to the unplanned encounter, don't you? What happened to your little dog was beyond awful, but thanks to you, that horror is behind her now. All the best to both of you. x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh she is just precious. What a beauty! I have always wanted a long hair chi. I hope to have one someday!

Bless you for opening your heart and your home to her. She was most definitely put in your path for a reason that day. Good luck, and enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I agree with Trish that she was most definitely in your path that day for a reason. She was meant for you and you for her. There is so much information on this forum to help you with the best diet for her, exercise, medical care, potty training, etc. There are many people more than ready to help with any question you may have. Good luck, and I know your life will never be the same again!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Way to go AMy!! Thank you for saving this little life and taking her to the vet. People make me sick when it's all for the all mighty buck. Don't let anyone push you into doing something if you don't think it's right. I personally would wait on the spay until she is healthy & strong enough to undergo the anesthesia. Ask for a discounted rate since she is a stray. They might give you a break on the cost. I loved that you said no to foster & claim her as your own. If you ever find someone in the neighborhood with this dogs pups, I would ruin their rep for doing that. Try to put them out of business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts