Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since it doesn't look like i'll be getting skyler (haven't heard anything from the breeder still) i was wondering waht kind of pets are good to have with chihuahua's. i know some of you have ferrets but i'm not sure what i want either a naked rat or a ferret... anyone ahve any experience with rats and chi's?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hmm... Well Sadie chases rats and scares them to death. My sister has 3 ferrets and only one gets a long with Sadie, but Sadie still scares the heck out of it when she tries to play. It doesn't take much to hurt either a rat or a ferret, but if I had to choose the lesser of 2 evils, I'd pick the ferret since a scared rat can actually go into cardiac arrest from stress alone (prey response).

I think Chiwi can hold out until you get another dog, that would be perfect for her!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
haha, yeah, even as a baby...I think the problem with "prey" animals like rabbits, gpigs, rats, is that even if they are brought up in the same household, they still have instincts and I've even seen rabbits go into shock and die when their owners are holding them. Also, if you do end up getting another dog, what if the new dog and the ferret don't get a long even though Chiwi does, then the ferret will lose out =/ Hold out for the puppy!Hold out for the puppy! I know you can!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to have 3 ferrets before I got Chiquita... they were SO funny together... Chiquita thought it was wonderful to have them around, the ferrets didn't seem to mind either.... but my house soon got very stinky with 3 ferrets... I had to give them to someone else because I couldn't care for them anymore.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ilovesadie said:
haha, yeah, even as a baby...I think the problem with "prey" animals like rabbits, gpigs, rats, is that even if they are brought up in the same household, they still have instincts and I've even seen rabbits go into shock and die when their owners are holding them. Also, if you do end up getting another dog, what if the new dog and the ferret don't get a long even though Chiwi does, then the ferret will lose out =/ Hold out for the puppy!Hold out for the puppy! I know you can!

ok ok ok..... holding out for a puppy.........

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
maybe you can tell her to please let you know something .....you are living in hope and it's unbearable. (maybe too corny :D )
but that your hopes are on skyler and will do anything to work something out with her .....you can put a payment plan on paper or something .....

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I used to have a rat called charlie - he was so cute! He used to sit on my shoulder and watch tv! :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree you should wait and get another puppy, but maybe that is because I just really can't imagine having a rat for a pet :lol: and ferrets can get quite smelly. My grand-daughter had two at one time, and even though she kept their cage pretty clean they still smelled up her room pretty bad.

Closest I ever came to a rat for a pet was when my children were younger and they had hamsters. Man, can those things multiply! :lol: And they are escape artists. They would literally chew their way out of the heavy duty plastic habitrails. I will have to admit though, they were cute and a couple of them were really gentle and sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts